Jimmy Bell Jr. Reported to transfer to Moberly Community College

I don’t want to speculate too much on this, I don’t know Jimmy, but following him on Instagram, some of his posts recently lead me to believe he may be having some personal problems. But when I say that, I don’t mean that he’s a bad kid or a bad person or that he’s done anything wrong, but that he may not be happy right now, and may not have been happy for a while now.  I really don’t want to go too much in depth on guessing what may or may not be going on. I just want to wish Jimmy the best, now and in the future.  Good luck, locomotive. I’m rooting for you!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Reinert310 said:

I don’t want to speculate too much on this, I don’t know Jimmy, but following him on Instagram, some of his posts recently lead me to believe he may be having some personal problems. But when I say that, I don’t mean that he’s a bad kid or a bad person or that he’s done anything wrong, but that he may not be happy right now, and may not have been happy for a while now.  I really don’t want to go too much in depth on guessing what may or may not be going on. I just want to wish Jimmy the best, now and in the future.  Good luck, locomotive. I’m rooting for you!

I guess the red flag that I didn't think twice on till now was how he celebrated his birthday last week in Florida while everyone else was up here practicing.

6 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

If this is not academically related, I do not get it. At all. I think he would only do this otherwise if we had a silent commitment from a big that will push him down the chart. If neither of the above, then it doesn’t make sense. 

Not trying to call anybody out, just saying, sometimes these decisions aren’t 100% about basketball…or academics. Just wishing Jimmy the best going forward.

15 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

If this is not academically related, I do not get it. At all. I think he would only do this otherwise if we had a silent commitment from a big that will push him down the chart. If neither of the above, then it doesn’t make sense. 

At the end of last season, if you had asked to name some players who might transfer - I would have put Bell near the top of that list. Okoro replaces French and Linnsen, who take away a lot of Bell's playing time, returns for another season. Didn't Bell have a bit of a nagging injury heading into last season? Linnsen essentially passed him on the depth chart. He played less his sophomore year than he did his freshman year. It happens.

He really exceeded my expectations his freshman year and I think he has potential if he stays in shape. He has an opportunity to finish his collegiate career strong. I wish him well. It was very impressive how much weight he had to lose to become a D1 player.

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

Damn. Sorry to see JBJ go. But sounds like he'll have a strong crew to play with out there. Could be fun: 

The newcomers are: freshman forward Myles Mendes (6'6, 225) from Minneapolis, Minn. coming from Troy University; sophomore post Jimmy Bell (6'10, 270) from Saginaw, Mich. coming from St. Louis University; freshman guard Bol Akot (6'2) from Manchester, N.H. coming from Quinnipiac University; and sophomore wing Jo Jo Toppin (6'6) from Brooklyn, N.Y. is coming from Georgia State University.

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Bell made the Atlantic 10 Commissioner's Honor Roll. 

Designed to recognize excellence in the classroom, a student-athlete in an Atlantic 10-sponsored sport must have a 3.0 GPA for the academic year to be selected for the Commissioner's Honor Roll.

I can't see a student with a 3.0 GPA (or greater) moving to JUCO for academic reasons.

5 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

This thought crossed my mind too.  But is this Mr. Bell's free transfer?  Would he have to sit out or get a waiver for his next move? 

my understanding you had to declare by july 1st for immediate eligibility,  the portal is always open for the sit year type transfer

HoosierPal likes this

6 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

I hope you are right but I doubt our new 3rd big will be as good as Jimmy. 

But a different kind of 3rd big my be a better fit, maybe an athletic 4 that can guard the other team's 4 or 3?  Jimmy is good as a center, but mobility and quickness has been a problem at times especially on D.  And what team needs to be 3 deep in centers but short on the power 4 spot?

I’m betting this is 100% about playing time.

JBJ is a junior and was going to be 3rd on the depth chart. At best he would have been 2nd next year.

I’m betting he didn’t work his ass off to lose 100 pounds to ride pine. 
He is going to take this year and reassert himself as a force to be reckoned with. 

Im rooting for the guy!

I loved Jimmy's potential.  But what have we seen?  He could shoot free throws, which is a breath of fresh air for our lineup sometimes.  He wasn't powerful enough at 6'10" to dunk?  He always brought the ball down to his waist instead of holding it high. He was slow in transition and didn't really rebound well for his size.  I never saw any offensive game except for the two mentioned freshman year with Rhodey and Richmond.  Okoro will start --- this year and next.  Linssen took his mintues last year albeit it with a foot injury slowing Jimmy down.  And when have we developed bigs?  Bell.  Diara.  Remekun.  Husak.  Frericks.  Baniak.  Jon Smith.  Heinrich.  It seems like what you see come their freshman year is what you get come their senior year for the most part.  

The Bonnies have one big.  Richmond maybe a half (Golden -- more a four).  Dayton a few (all young except Camara).  VCU maybe on in Ward.  The Mitchell twins at Rhodey.  Bigs aren't really that necessary in the A10.  But IF Bell had developed ... WOW!  Best of luck big man.  Get a game.

3 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Technically, he's a sophomore, I guess.

It appears to me he completed his sophomore season and will be a junior this upcoming season.

Jason Edwin left SLU after two seasons and (if I remember correctly) first went to a juco for school (but not for athletics) before going back to a D-I school.

Yea, I remember Edwin too.  Ended at Kent State I think.  In today's COVID-ravaged landscape, who really knows who qualifies as what anymore.  As I said, I'm guessing.

Old guy likes this

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Yea, I remember Edwin too.  Ended at Kent State I think.  In today's COVID-ravaged landscape, who really knows who qualifies as what anymore.  As I said, I'm guessing.

You could be right; I just thought the "free" year didn't come until after the normal cycle is complete.  That is, last year's freshmen will still be sophomores this year, and not freshmen again; sophomores, juniors; and juniors, seniors.  I thought that only after being a senior will they be able to claim their extra year.  But I'm just guessing, as well.

I liked Jimmy his freshman year. I think the Covid year hurt him a lot. He failed to improve in either skills or physical development, from the end of his freshman year. I was hoping that the same discipline he showed dropping his initial weight would continue in further weight loss and improved conditioning. Not everyone can do that on their own. His size in the post presented problems for some other teams, and we are going to miss him. I wish him the best going forward.

I was high on Jimmy going into last year. His injury slowed his progress. Then Linssen showed he was very capable at spelling Has. I was thinking Jimmy’s size was unique for the A10, however, he was never as forceful as he should have been. 
I’d agree with the majority that Jimmy foresaw lower minutes this year and decided to go where he could play rather than sit. Good luck, Jimmy, the discipline you showed in your weight program could take you a long way. And who knows in these crazy times, he could return. 

14 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

How can someone who's played two seasons of Div. 1 ball be eligible to play at a junior college?

dont forget everyone in D1 got a free year last year due to the chinese flu virus.