2021-22 Top 144, by College Sports Madness

As I understand it Okoro was at least a top 100 and why Oregon recruited him. He played hurt for part of his time there, which will impact most players’ performance. Now he’s healthy and I’m expecting we will see the top 100 version. It’s fine by me if people are sleeping on him. Same thinking goes for Nesbitt as well. I think people are forgetting he gave up his SR year of HS to jump right into D1 ball for a team crowded with 4 and 5 star players with more experience. 

dennis_w and billiken_roy like this

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care about HS stars, HS rankings, etc.  I want to see results for TeamBlue on the 94X50 at Chaifetz.  Let the OOC play out and then we can see where we stand with the newcomers.  Who knows, Williams and Jones may turn out to be our more valued incoming players.  Never say never.

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

As I understand it Okoro was at least a top 100 and why Oregon recruited him. He played hurt for part of his time there, which will impact most players’ performance. Now he’s healthy and I’m expecting we will see the top 100 version. It’s fine by me if people are sleeping on him. Same thinking goes for Nesbitt as well. I think people are forgetting he gave up his SR year of HS to jump right into D1 ball for a team crowded with 4 and 5 star players with more experience. 

I only heard a little of Tate with Frank. Tate said Nesbit was incredible in the full court. Dreams of Yuri on the break with Nesbit and TJ on the wings. 

16 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I don't care about HS stars, HS rankings, etc.  I want to see results for TeamBlue on the 94X50 at Chaifetz.  Let the OOC play out and then we can see where we stand with the newcomers.  Who knows, Williams and Jones may turn out to be our more valued incoming players.  Never say never.

19 minutes ago, willie said:

I only heard a little of Tate with Frank. Tate said Nesbit was incredible in the full court. Dreams of Yuri on the break with Nesbit and TJ on the wings. 

-this does us no good as up to this point with CFord we have not used a full court style, might look good in practice but I would like to see it, at least sporadically, in games

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

So when considering how teams will do before the season starts you consider all freshman to be equal? 

14 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Running the break will be easier when you have two legitimate ball handlers.  Nesbitt is just as dangerous in the open court with the ball in his hands as Yuri is.

Is Jones also a legitimate ball handler? He averaged 6 assists per the article. It is good to have so many options at the point!

11 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Jones has handles but he's a turnover machine.

For UCA he was their lead guard and had the ball by far the most on their team. He got out of control easily but was in a position where he had to make all the plays. He's a mature player who will adapt and tone down his playing style to fit in here 

18 hours ago, slufanskip said:

So when considering how teams will do before the season starts you consider all freshman to be equal? 

I'm not concerned with how teams will do before the season starts.  I'm concerned with how they do after the results come in.  Sure I read all of the preseason discussions, because that is all there is to read at this time of the year. 

The success of TeamBlue will be largely on the shoulders of our 2 star wing, Javonte Perkins.  Can he lead the Bills past the likely consensus A10 favorite, the 2 star laden Bonnies?

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I'm not concerned with how teams will do before the season starts.  I'm concerned with how they do after the results come in.  Sure I read all of the preseason discussions, because that is all there is to read at this time of the year. 

The success of TeamBlue will be largely on the shoulders of our 2 star wing, Javonte Perkins.  Can he lead the Bills past the likely consensus A10 favorite, the 2 star laden Bonnies?

Then why chime in on a thread discussing projections for next year? 

Of course rankings of incoming freshman should matter in rankings. Are rankings a guarantee, well I guess we all know they aren’t. 

Think it’s just coincidence that Larry Hughes and J Good were our best 2 players of the last 25 years. 

Littlebill likes this

• 3 weeks later...

About 8 days ago, Richmond came in at #53, destined for the NIT.  So according to 144, only 2 A10 teams will be dancing, St. Bonnie and VCU.  144 Recap below.  I do believe that last season's Pre-Season trophies are available on ebay.

Richmond #53

SLU #69

Davidson #85

Dayton #102

Rhode Island #121

AGB91 likes this

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2021 at 9:05 AM, HoosierPal said:

About 8 days ago, Richmond came in at #53, destined for the NIT.  So according to 144, only 2 A10 teams will be dancing, St. Bonnie and VCU.  144 Recap below.  I do believe that last season's Pre-Season trophies are available on ebay.

Richmond #53

SLU #69

Davidson #85

Dayton #102

Rhode Island #121

Yesterday VCU came in at #36.  The write-up includes both Watkins and Baldwin, who are injured, so raise or lower that #36 accordingly. 

Of more interest to me is the #35 team, Memphis.  That is quite lower than most of the pre-season polls.  St. Bonnie is still to be listed by Top 144.

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/mens-basketball/top-144-previews

37 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Yesterday VCU came in at #36.  The write-up includes both Watkins and Baldwin, who are injured, so raise or lower that #36 accordingly. 

Of more interest to me is the #35 team, Memphis.  That is quite lower than most of the pre-season polls.  St. Bonnie is still to be listed by Top 144.

Emoni Bates and Jalen Duren are top 5 recruits but you wouldn't know it from this write-up.

33 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

It will be interesting to see who is way off on the Memphis prediction.  I know TF is a regular user of coach-speak, but even so can he be way off target on how good Memphis is or are the 144 boys way off?

In Frank's recent interview on 590, I seem to remember that Travis referred to Memphis as a top 5 team.  There is a lot of room between his top 5 and the 144 prediction of #35.  Reading the 144 analysis, it seems like UM will be using quite a few newcomers so getting them early in the season should be a good thing for the Bills.  It will be interesting to see how Penny handles the situation he has with a roster far over the allowed limits.  Something has to give!

29 minutes ago, bauman said:

It will be interesting to see who is way off on the Memphis prediction.  I know TF is a regular user of coach-speak, but even so can he be way off target on how good Memphis is or are the 144 boys way off?

In Frank's recent interview on 590, I seem to remember that Travis referred to Memphis as a top 5 team.  There is a lot of room between his top 5 and the 144 prediction of #35.  Reading the 144 analysis, it seems like UM will be using quite a few newcomers so getting them early in the season should be a good thing for the Bills.  It will be interesting to see how Penny handles the situation he has with a roster far over the allowed limits.  Something has to give!

I think it's just a matter of the writer not having all the information.  Look at the recruit rankings at the bottom of the article.  Jalen Duren's ranking isn't even included.  And he's most likely a day one starter.

47 minutes ago, bauman said:

It will be interesting to see how Penny handles the situation he has with a roster far over the allowed limits.  Something has to give!

SLU and Memphis have the same number of scholarship players, 13.

Richmond has more scholarship players than Memphis does. 

57 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I think it's just a matter of the writer not having all the information.  Look at the recruit rankings at the bottom of the article.  Jalen Duren's ranking isn't even included.  And he's most likely a day one starter.

The top 144 countdown started in late June.  Bates and Duren didn't commit until August.  The Memphis article is dated today, but I'm guessing the #35 ranking was set in advance of the #144 article released in June.  I'm assuming they rank 1-144 and then do write ups on each one that may in some cases be written in advance with edits done as they come out.  Not sure how they could do it otherwise because you can't really start rearranging mid-way through.

We already knew these rankings aren't worth the digital ink we're spilling about them.  The fact that they're decided so far in advance adds to that.

3star_recruit likes this

Didn't VCU have their NCAA ticket shredded last year due to COVID?  Joel Welser's opening statement then that VCU lost to Oregon is just wrong.  Then to do an analysis that includes two guys out for the year is likely needed given it was probably written early, before the injuries.  This is why most will agree these articles are for debate only, not fact.

Recent article on VCU.  Anyone know what "positionless basketball" is?  The author needs to read our website to know that isn't a thing.  At least that is what I have been told many, many times by the MBM's.

Suddenly, VCU finds itself thin at the guard position, which is perhaps the most important position group in a Mike Rhoades-run offense. Per VCU’s website, there are six healthy guards on the roster. However, with the shift to “positionless” basketball, coupled with Watkins being listed as a forward despite playing more like a shooting guard, makes that designation moot.

• 3 weeks later...

Bonnies come in at #19.  Probably the highest for an A-10 team in a few years.  It will be nice to beat them twice in the regular season this year and a third time if we play them in the A-10  tourney.

Reading the write up doesn't make it obvious that they have improved their depth so they might still be relying on the 5 starters from last year for over 30 minutes each.  I think our depth will be too much for them. 

Now if we can just find a reliable bus driver.