Supreme Court rules college athletes are entitled to compensation

Interesting article.  The one point I'll take from it is that such a deal would be illegal in many states other than Utah.  Which brings me to the next question which is level playing field?  Seems to me you need to be similar across states to ensure competitive balance.  Not that being a walk-on for BYU football will amount to much but just from the principal of the thing (which is an oxymoron in the NCAA universe).  

How many walk-ons are there on the BYU roster?  What is the annual tuition to attend BYU?  I did find that in 2018-19, US News and Reports listed the cost of BYU at around $20,000 per year including room and board.  According to research, a D1 football school can offer 85 full-ride scholarships to players and BYU's current roster shows 119 players.  That's 34 walk-ons at $20k a pop which equals $680,000 from this company.  I find that hard to believe because at $1000 a scholarship player, that's only $85,000.

The article makes it sound pretty wonderful and the school acknowledged going out and doing this but I would counter than this is not NIL ---- it's just a blanket payment to kids to ease their costs.  I don't think this is what NIL was supposed to be about but I am not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Good read; thanks for posting.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

The blatant circumventing of rules begins

I don't have an issue with it.  Walk-ons not having to take out student loans to cover tuition is not one of the bad things that could come from this.  You aren't going to buy a title through walk-ons not paying tuition.

12 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don't have an issue with it.  Walk-ons not having to take out student loans to cover tuition is not one of the bad things that could come from this.  You aren't going to buy a title through walk-ons not paying tuition.

Football probably wouldn't be the sport where this is most advantageous. Basketball programs could probably use this to more of an advantage.

I think SLU men's soccer/baseball needs to start looking at how they can take advantage of this due to the limited scholarships.

32 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Football probably wouldn't be the sport where this is most advantageous. Basketball programs could probably use this to more of an advantage.

I think SLU men's soccer/baseball needs to start looking at how they can take advantage of this due to the limited scholarships.

Great point, they need to get on this.

5 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Interesting article.  The one point I'll take from it is that such a deal would be illegal in many states other than Utah.  Which brings me to the next question which is level playing field?  Seems to me you need to be similar across states to ensure competitive balance.  Not that being a walk-on for BYU football will amount to much but just from the principal of the thing (which is an oxymoron in the NCAA universe).  

How many walk-ons are there on the BYU roster?  What is the annual tuition to attend BYU?  I did find that in 2018-19, US News and Reports listed the cost of BYU at around $20,000 per year including room and board.  According to research, a D1 football school can offer 85 full-ride scholarships to players and BYU's current roster shows 119 players.  That's 34 walk-ons at $20k a pop which equals $680,000 from this company.  I find that hard to believe because at $1000 a scholarship player, that's only $85,000.

The article makes it sound pretty wonderful and the school acknowledged going out and doing this but I would counter than this is not NIL ---- it's just a blanket payment to kids to ease their costs.  I don't think this is what NIL was supposed to be about but I am not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Good read; thanks for posting.

36 according to BYU's press release: https://byucougars.com/story/football/1297331/byu-football-touts-groundbreaking-nil-agreements-built-brands

Get ready for HS NIL.  Quinn Ewers #1 ranked QB recruit in the US left Texas HS to early enroll at tOSU and cash in on NIL.  Texas has a law but they aren't allowing HS......yet.

• 3 weeks later...