Supreme Court rules college athletes are entitled to compensation

12 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

The schools have to be 100% hands off on this.   It is the only way they can avoid the "employer" label which would create the scenarios that would spin this whole thing out of control.   Imo this will be all on the individual athletes to arrange their own deal with 3rd parties.

The schools only concerns will be making sure there are no integrity conpromises.   I.e not fixing games, being involved in illegal or unethical activities, etc.   

wink wink

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No Bona colors.  No Bona Unis.  Nothing Bonaventure on here.  This is how it will go —- most kids will have little recognition value.  Read where Sean Clifford, QB at Penn State, is doing autograph sessions at events costing $50 to get in.  He’ll get a cut.  I see this as typical.  Again, Jordair’s image with dreds on a t-shirt his senior year would have worked.

On 7/19/2021 at 8:28 AM, Taj79 said:

No Bona colors.  No Bona Unis.  Nothing Bonaventure on here.  This is how it will go —- most kids will have little recognition value.  Read where Sean Clifford, QB at Penn State, is doing autograph sessions at events costing $50 to get in.  He’ll get a cut.  I see this as typical.  Again, Jordair’s image with dreds on a t-shirt his senior year would have worked.

If you go to cameo.com , collegiate athletes are in their uniforms, with logos showing, offering to wish you a happy birthday etc.  That would seem to go against the no uniform etc rule.  Put 'Cavinder Twins' in the Cameo search bar to find one example.  

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

The no uniform or team logo rule isn't an NCAA rule. UNC just unveiled a program where their athletes can profit while wearing UNC gear. Expect many schools to follow. 

-do you know if UNC is taking a cut when their logo is used?

32 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-do you know if UNC is taking a cut when their logo is used?

If you think about it, they may not care. As long as the use is not in a profane manner or a questionable industry (ie. Drugs or the sex trade), then this is just free advertising. I am sure they would care if the advertisements move to national spots, but otherwise, it is likely a small dollar amount.

@almaman —- no.  If SLU pays for billboards to advertise their product (basketball), who is giving the money to players?  What sponsor is sending money in to split?  And while I don’t believe the AL QB has made a million, Alabama fans might spend dumb money just because it’s a national champion program.  The AL QB is currently unproven and unknown as Jones has left.

5 hours ago, wgstl said:

Bama's QB has made just shy of 1m from NIL so far according to Saban. Wow.

I saw this but question whether it was just Saban using it for recruiting. Come to Alabama where you can make a million. This whole thing is a bad idea. You talk about how alums can “legally recruit “. 

Billiken Rich likes this

1 hour ago, willie said:

I saw this but question whether it was just Saban using it for recruiting. Come to Alabama where you can make a million. This whole thing is a bad idea. You talk about how alums can “legally recruit “. 

I don’t know where or who would give the Bama QB a mil, but I can believe it. Bama FB is a religion and their stars are idolized. I can see enough sponsors ponying up the bucks. Or Gear sales with his image too. All SEC stars will make out pretty well with the NIL. 

I would encourage everyone on here to make sure you follow all of our players on Twitter or any other social media platform you might be on.  Engage with their account by replying to and/or retweeting occasional posts from them.  Encourage family members and other fans you know to do the same.  This may seem silly, but this is the kind of stuff people looking to spend ad dollars on social media platforms look at when determining who to spend money with.  This is something simple we all can do to help the program when it comes to the NIL battle.

https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/paying-it-forward-fred-thatch-jr-wants-to-use-new-name-image-and-likeness-rights-to-help-his-community-and-those-in-it/

Article on Thatch's NIL efforts.

I didn't think about it until I read it in this article, but Thatch is our elder statesman on this season's team.  He will be into his 4th season under scholarship.  He also leads the roster with 62 games played as a Billiken.

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/paying-it-forward-fred-thatch-jr-wants-to-use-new-name-image-and-likeness-rights-to-help-his-community-and-those-in-it/

I didn't think about it until I read it in this article, but Thatch is our elder statesman on this season's team.  He will be into his 4th season under scholarship.  He also leads the roster with 62 games played as a Billiken.

And what is he still a fresham eligibility wise😇

HoosierPal likes this

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I want a Fred Thatch T-shirt. Billiken blue with his face on the front. Who doesn’t want Thatch gear?

• 3 weeks later...