Supreme Court rules college athletes are entitled to compensation

Over/under:  three total deals entered into by SLU players this year under the NIL language.  What do you say?  I'll take the under.  Autograph sessions inconsequential and don't count.  Billboards put up by SLU don't count.  

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Over/under:  three total deals entered into by SLU players this year under the NIL language.  What do you say?  I'll take the under.  Autograph sessions inconsequential and don't count.  Billboards put up by SLU don't count.  

Over by a lot. 

BilliesBy40 likes this

To jump on SLU72's analysis ....... I don't see any "big" names in any program in the A10 that plays well in the national limelight.  If Matt Mayer came on TV would you know who he is?  I might, but less so without his Baylor uniform.  So this drops us down to the local level.  College H.U.N.K.S. is employing Florida kids in a Florida-based company.  I don't know what their profit margin is but they are at least $40k in arrears with this move.  Maybe that's chump change for them.  I don't know.  I agree that this move probably benefits Dayton athletics best in our conference.  But who is giving Koby Brea $20k to stump for The Pine Club?  The YouDee letter is clear ... it can be done but must be done right.  Gonna open up a whole new enforcement farce wing at the NCAA.

19 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@willie --- we shall see.  SLU basketball can't carry the notoriety of front page stories in the Post-Dispatch.  I just don't see it.  

First I think the novelty of it will be there at the start. I don’t see big deals but small ones. A Bobby McCormick who advertises his basketball camps on radio using a Billiken player. A workout center using a player. A farmers market trying to drum up business. An injury center talking about rehab. A basketball hoop company. Small creative things. 

40 minutes ago, willie said:

First I think the novelty of it will be there at the start. I don’t see big deals but small ones. A Bobby McCormick who advertises his basketball camps on radio using a Billiken player. A workout center using a player. A farmers market trying to drum up business. An injury center talking about rehab. A basketball hoop company. Small creative things. 

Knowing Taj he’ll say those don’t count

39 minutes ago, willie said:

Right, I think people have to keep in mind, pro players and wealthy celebrities can demand a lot of money, because that is what their time is worth. How much time is a college kid worth otherwise. 

There was an app that allowed people to hire or rent famous celebrities. Shaun Austin was on there for like $1,000. There were a bunch of no name local celebrities. That would explode right now.

If McBroom was still at SLU you can bet he'd have some sponsorships lined up on Day 1. Also, a You Tube show that would be raining cash on him. 

Surprised we haven't seen any announcement from our AD as to how we're going to approach this new environment. For example, if we sell a player's jersey with his name on the back does he get a cut? 

14 hours ago, Taj79 said:

-over

12 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Knowing Taj he’ll say those don’t count

-good thing no consideration on the line, just words

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/dayton-mens-basketball-players-earn-first-nil-deal/IP2OEIMCIVA3DPDIXH72RHN7VM/

Apparently all a Dayton athlete has to do is endorse one of this alum's property's on social media and they get compensated.  Interesting.  Article doesn't say if it is one time endorsement or can be done a hundred times.  Wonder if walk-on's can cash in.

Flyer Faithful LLC purchased real estate, which includes The Fieldhouse, a bar on Brown Street, in August 2020. The real estate also includes a rental property on Brown Street. The athletes will use their social media accounts to promote the availability of the rental property.

No ... they'll count.  willie's small change approach makes sense.  But it will be peanuts compared to the NCAA.  BenFred's column today is absolutely off base.  Mizzou selling #10 jerseys w/o Chase Daniels name on them.  If I read the Dayton release right, Chase Daniels still makes no money off it because he can't use the school's sports logos or footage without expressed written consent in advance from the school.  He can't appear on a local TV ad with a Tiger t-shirt on because that is the school's logo.  Without the logo, who the fuok is Chase Daniels?  But, we shall see.  

@crymdg2---- as I read the Dayton letter, those guys would get no payment from this if this were a program ad.  They can't be paid by the school.  They can't use the school's logo in their NIL endeavors.  I don't even know if they can say "Hi!  I'm Jordan Goodwin, basketball star at Saint Louis University"  because that is inserting the school into the sales pitch.  As I read it, you can't have that.  And if a kid is lucky enough to burst onto the scene with that kind of power that early in his college career, then he's not long for the nickels and dimes of the NCAA.  See:  Tatum, Jayson.

BenFred scoured the nation and got his examples.  Well, hell, there's how many NCAA schools to go looking for needles in haystacks?  But please, keep me informed on how our beloved Bills are doing.  Take glee in proving me wrong, as I know some will.  That's okay.  I hope our guys succeed as best as possible.  

30 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

No ... they'll count.  willie's small change approach makes sense.  But it will be peanuts compared to the NCAA.  BenFred's column today is absolutely off base.  Mizzou selling #10 jerseys w/o Chase Daniels name on them.  If I read the Dayton release right, Chase Daniels still makes no money off it because he can't use the school's sports logos or footage without expressed written consent in advance from the school.  He can't appear on a local TV ad with a Tiger t-shirt on because that is the school's logo.  Without the logo, who the fuok is Chase Daniels?  But, we shall see.  

What point are you trying to make? Let’s say one of our players gets $1,000 from a local small business. That isn’t peanuts to the player. No one claimed this change was going to make all the players rich. BUT it will allow them to get some financial reward for their value, which is long overdue.

rgbilliken likes this

I am really kind of amazed that so few posters seem to acknowledge the pandora's box this is opening with regard to recruiting. 

I'm an alum who owns a business.  I make it clear to local player "X's" agent that an endorsement deal for print, radio, and TV is likely if  "X" signs with a local area team (wink, wink) that a Google search will show I have a degree from.  The agent returns to me with a counter offer since State U. has a higher offer.  You don't think top players like T Reed is aware of all the above and looking to cash in as soon as possible.  Actually, large metro areas schools appear to me to have a tremendous advantage when going after local stars.  Just as an example, Reed would be able to cash in on his NIL more so in St. Louis than if he decided to go to e.g. Iowa or Okl. St.

Actually, it's too bad that J. Good is  not returning to SLU since I think he could possibly make more if he was leading the Bills to a top 25 season.  Too bad this change didn't happen a year or two ago for him.  With all the car dealers in the metro area and Belleville eateries, he could have been driving some great dealer cars and eating great food with the NIL rules in place.

If you don't think the Dukes, Michigans, Kentuckys, LSU and so on are going to abuse this, then I have some oceanfront property in Lesterville, MO I would be willing to sell you.  Lots of jobs are going to open up in Indy in the NCAA Enforcement Division.

7 minutes ago, bauman said:

I am really kind of amazed that so few posters seem to acknowledge the pandora's box this is opening with regard to recruiting. 

I'm an alum who owns a business.  I make it clear to local player "X's" agent that an endorsement deal for print, radio, and TV is likely if  "X" signs with a local area team (wink, wink) that a Google search will show I have a degree from.  The agent returns to me with a counter offer since State U. has a higher offer.  You don't think top players like T Reed is aware of all the above and looking to cash in as soon as possible.  Actually, large metro areas schools appear to me to have a tremendous advantage when going after local stars.  Just as an example, Reed would be able to cash in on his NIL more so in St. Louis than if he decided to go to e.g. Iowa or Okl. St.

Actually, it's too bad that J. Good is  not returning to SLU since I think he could possibly make more if he was leading the Bills to a top 25 season.  Too bad this change didn't happen a year or two ago for him.  With all the car dealers in the metro area and Belleville eateries, he could have been driving some great dealer cars and eating great food with the NIL rules in place.

If you don't think the Dukes, Michigans, Kentuckys, LSU and so on are going to abuse this, then I have some oceanfront property in Lesterville, MO I would be willing to sell you.  Lots of jobs are going to open up in Indy in the NCAA Enforcement Division.

I think you are dead on. The potential recruiting abuses could be huge. 

42 minutes ago, bauman said:

So, same it’s always been ?

and just think of all the income tax screw ups that will happen.   those dealer cars given to players to drive -  likely have to be considered taxable income.   same with any other non cash "gifts" they will be given.   who's gonna advise these naive to the world players of what they are getting themselves into.   cant have an agent.   can school provide advice?   

this isnt just a matter of players getting a few bucks and being able to go to the olive garden tomorrow with one of the cheerleaders.   while a few might makes some serious money, most will be lucky to break even after money management issues are paid for.   and we havent even discussed the issues with the non revenue sports demanding equal pay.   

i will be surprised if this rolls out smoothly.   

1 hour ago, bauman said:

On point.  Reread the excerpt I posted from the CBS article.  Do you want to be the 5th recruit for Kentucky (and perhaps the fifth highest $ endorsements) or the top recruit from Ole Miss, and perhaps the highest paid recruit.  That message will be delivered by someone (who isn't on the university payroll). 

16 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

and just think of all the income tax screw ups that will happen.   those dealer cars given to players to drive -  likely have to be considered taxable income.   same with any other non cash "gifts" they will be given.   who's gonna advise these naive to the world players of what they are getting themselves into.   cant have an agent.   can school provide advice?   

this isnt just a matter of players getting a few bucks and being able to go to the olive garden tomorrow with one of the cheerleaders.   while a few might makes some serious money, most will be lucky to break even after money management issues are paid for.   and we havent even discussed the issues with the non revenue sports demanding equal pay.   

So you are saying that you won't go to the Fieldhouse to pay for autographs of the SLU cross country team?

28 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I'm not a huge fan of the NIL rules, but the one thing I think it does well is get around the non-revenue and women's sports demanding equal pay.

If the NCAA had decided to just pay every men's basketball and football player $20k a year, you'd better believe there would have been lawsuits from the non-revenue and women's sports saying it isn't fair. But under NIL it's ever man, women and athlete for himself/herself under free market rules. If the local car dealership decides to pay every men's basketball player $20k and nothing to the women, then its tough luck. 

bauman likes this

47 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I'm not a huge fan of the NIL rules, but the one thing I think it does well is get around the non-revenue and women's sports demanding equal pay.

If the NCAA had decided to just pay every men's basketball and football player $20k a year, you'd better believe there would have been lawsuits from the non-revenue and women's sports saying it isn't fair. But under NIL it's ever man, women and athlete for himself/herself under free market rules. If the local car dealership decides to pay every men's basketball player $20k and nothing to the women, then its tough luck. 

Blue Font. when I read this, I think it could be considered offensive, and that was not the intent.

10 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Wait, car dealerships are not equitably apportioning ad revenue by gender!?! A future class action lawsuit opportunity.

Good post, except it should have been in blue. 

Hey, I can see the female (ya, right) MLS ownership group using our Women's soccer players for NIL purposes and I think that would be great.  Some of the current Senior and rising Senior class of stars going to Wis, Clemson etc. might want to reconsider since they will be getting zero NIL $$$ at their intended choice of schools.  I'm sure that Mrs, Kindle would be willing to divert a  few sponsorship $$$ to well-known local female soccer recruits, especially given the increasing high level of interest in STL female youth soccer.

26 minutes ago, bauman said:

Good post, except it should have been in blue. 

Hey, I can see the female (ya, right) MLS ownership group using our Women's soccer players for NIL purposes and I think that would be great.  Some of the current Senior and rising Senior class of stars going to Wis, Clemson etc. might want to reconsider since they will be getting zero NIL $$$ at their intended choice of schools.  I'm sure that Mrs, Kindle would be willing to divert a  few sponsorship $$$ to well-known local female soccer recruits, especially given the increasing high level of interest in STL female youth soccer.

UConn women basketball players should get more in NIL than UConn men and they probably will...