OT: USMNT Soccer Thread

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Lando Griffin said:

Awesome thanks— so it’d take a pretty epic collapse.

It depends on your criteria. IMO, it would not require an epic collapse to end up 4th. It would require an epic collapse to finish below 4th. Our remaining road games are at Canada (Jan. 30th), at Mexico (Mar. 24th), and at Costa Rica (Mar. 30th). We have always struggled at Costa Rica, and everyone is aware of Canada's current form. 

Alternatively, and thankfully, our remaining home games are El Salvador (Jan. 27th), Honduras (Feb. 2nd), and Panama (Mar. 27th). 

If everything goes according to plan, we will be in a position to clinch our spot in the World Cup by beating Panama on March 27th. 

majerus mojo likes this

10 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

It depends on your criteria. IMO, it would not require an epic collapse to end up 4th. It would require an epic collapse to finish below 4th. Our remaining road games are at Canada (Jan. 30th), at Mexico (Mar. 24th), and at Costa Rica (Mar. 30th). We have always struggled at Costa Rica, and everyone is aware of Canada's current form. 

Alternatively, and thankfully, our remaining home games are El Salvador (Jan. 27th), Honduras (Feb. 2nd), and Panama (Mar. 27th). 

If everything goes according to plan, we will be in a position to clinch our spot in the World Cup by beating Panama on March 27th. 

Got it, great summary and thank you!

11 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

So how many points are you projecting in the last six games?

9 - three home wins?

10, 11 or 12- the 9 plus 1, 2 or 3 ties?

Any road W’s?

12 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

So how many points are you projecting in the last six games?

9 - three home wins?

10, 11 or 12- the 9 plus 1, 2 or 3 ties?

Any road W’s?

Here is my current projection for the four games before Panama:

• v. El Salvador - Win (3)
  • @ Canada - Draw (1)
  • v. Honduras - Win (3)
  • @ Mexico - Loss (0)

Panama has a tough path ahead, including @ Costa Rica, @ Mexico, @ USA, and v. Canada. Panama @ Costa Rica (Jan. 27th) is a key piece of this equation. I think 7 points in our first four matches will place us at least 1 point ahead of Panama, which means a home victory against Panama would secure our spot. 

There is a dream scenario where we clinch our World Cup spot with a win @ Azteca. For now, I am not making that prediction, but it remains a possibility.

24+ points should be enough to place 3rd or above. Anything below 24 points will put us in uncomfortable territory (which, to me, includes finishing 4th). 

RUBillsFan likes this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Once again MLSSoccer.com puts out their depth chart for the USMNT following this last two game window.  This is always good for discussion.

USMNT post-November depth chart

When we have AAronson and Weah not being able to break into our starting midfield, that's amazing. There has never been time in USMNT history that either of those 2 even at this stage in their career's wouldn't be among the top few players on the team. 

I partially hold McKennie accountable for Jamaica. He has to be smarter. He can't take himself out of a game for actions after a play is over. 

BilliesBy40 likes this

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

When we have AAronson and Weah not being able to break into our starting midfield, that's amazing. There has never been time in USMNT history that either of those 2 even at this stage in their career's wouldn't be among the top few players on the team. 

I partially hold McKennie accountable for Jamaica. He has to be smarter. He can't take himself out of a game for actions after a play is over. 

Remember a few years ago, Weah was supposed to be 'the guy' who along with Pulisic was going to carry the USNMT on their backs.  While Weah is doing just fine in my opinion, others have entered the fray. When Reyna is healthy, will Coach B slide him into an 8 over Musah?  I agree that McKennie, when he finally gets it, should be a mainstay at the other 8.

For my 2 cent opinion, which is worth the same as every other MBM's 2 cents opinion, Pepi did not slam the door shut on future discussion as to who is #1 Striker. While he didn't do anything bad, he didn't assert himself as the long time, locked in striker against particularly Mexico.  The door remains open.

I chuckled at their placement of Brooks as 3rd string.  It will be interesting during the next window if Coach B puts him in the starting lineup over Robinson or Zimmerman. 

slufanskip likes this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Remember a few years ago, Weah was supposed to be 'the guy' who along with Pulisic was going to carry the USNMT on their backs.  While Weah is doing just fine in my opinion, others have entered the fray. When Reyna is healthy, will Coach B slide him into an 8 over Musah?  I agree that McKennie, when he finally gets it, should be a mainstay at the other 8.

For my 2 cent opinion, which is worth the same as every other MBM's 2 cents opinion, Pepi did not slam the door shut on future discussion as to who is #1 Striker. While he didn't do anything bad, he didn't assert himself as the long time, locked in striker against particularly Mexico.  The door remains open.

I chuckled at their placement of Brooks as 3rd string.  It will be interesting during the next window if Coach B puts him in the starting lineup over Robinson or Zimmerman. 

We are pretty much in complete agreement. The Weah, Reyna, Pulisic, Aaronson, McKEnnie, Musah problem is a heck of a good problem to have. I almost feel like Reyna is better suited inside which in my mind puts Weah and AAronson at 1 wing with Pulisic on the other and Reyna, Musah, and McKennie fighting for the 2 spaces inside. And honestly, I could be happy with any combination. 

It's hard for me to believe Brooks has fallen so far so quickly even as bad as he has been lately. I'd still have the door open. Miles Robinson is imo our best CB and the 1st positions outside are easitly A Robinson and Dest. 

How great that we are talking about which good player to play not who can we play. 

Zink and HoosierPal like this

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Coach B names 28 for the upcoming three match WCQ window.  Brooks and Sargent didn't make the roster. Reyna apparently has just returned to training, being out since September and was not called in. 

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/usmnt-names-28-player-roster-for-january-february-world-cup-qualifying-window

slufanskip likes this

Arsenal looking at Matt Turner.  Not sure how much fire is there or just smoke. 

Saw Pepi's Augsburg debut, pretty good vs my favorite team Eintracht. 

14 hours ago, stmdragons said:

Sargent with a brace today for Norwich City against Watford. Huge for him. 

From Soccer By Ives:  Sargent’s move from Werder Bremen to Norwich City landed him with a chance at playing in the Premier League, but Sargent has struggled so far as Norwich tries to escape relegation. Sargent did score two goals for Norwich in a Carabao Cup win over Bournemouth this season, but his last league goal came for Werder Bremen in the 2. Bundesliga on July 31, 2021.

The pass was well behind Sargent, but a heads-up touch sent the ball off the crossbar and in the net for Sargent’s first league goal in 19 appearances this season.

We're hurting on Striker talent,  Pepi looking like the best.  I was hoping Dike would emerge because we could use his size.   Maybe he will eventually. 

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

From Soccer By Ives:  Sargent’s move from Werder Bremen to Norwich City landed him with a chance at playing in the Premier League, but Sargent has struggled so far as Norwich tries to escape relegation. Sargent did score two goals for Norwich in a Carabao Cup win over Bournemouth this season, but his last league goal came for Werder Bremen in the 2. Bundesliga on July 31, 2021.

The pass was well behind Sargent, but a heads-up touch sent the ball off the crossbar and in the net for Sargent’s first league goal in 19 appearances this season.

9.1 rating and POM on FOTMOB.  IMO Sargent, at his best, is the “smoothest” of all the USMNT strikers inside the 18.  If this is him starting to click, watch out Pepi….

brianstl likes this

3 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

We're hurting on Striker talent,  Pepi looking like the best.  I was hoping Dike would emerge because we could use his size.   Maybe he will eventually. 

Pefok has had a nice season for Young Boys. 16 goals in 30 apps, including 5 in 12 UCL apps (qualifiers included). I know he has been underwhelming for the NT thus far, but he just keeps scoring for his club.

Dike I think will thrive now that he's back in the Championship. Had 9 goals in 19 apps for Barnsley last year and I think he'll fit in perfectly at West Brom. Was apparently dangerous today but missed some decent chances it seems like. Picked up a knock in only the 52' so hopefully it is no big deal.