OT: USMNT Soccer Thread

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I am going to disagree that we have better options for positions 2-5 on the Striker depth chart.  Zardes belongs in that group, and right now has shown he can handle CONCACAF matches.  Playing in CONCACAF is different than playing club ball.  Playing in a glorified cow pasture in El Salvador is different than playing on a perfectly manicured Dusseldorf Arena.  Playing street ball takes a different mindset than playing club ball.

To date in 2021, Zardes has appeared in 9 USMNT matches, scored 2 and has 1 assist.  Sargent has played in 6, no goals and 1 assist.  Pefok 8/1/0.  Dike 8/3/0 and Gioacctini 6/1/2.  I believe Zardes definitely is as good as our other options and belongs in the discussion.  (Maybe add Ferreria 1/2/3, ehhh, his one match and both goals were in that T&T 7-0 blowout.)  There are Forwards that you could add to the list, but do you really want to take LW or RW and put him at Striker against Mexico?

You can give me all the Stats you want, I have no use for Zardes except he's very good at creating havoc with his high pressure. 

I'd rather go with a young guy with potential all day every day. As I said with Sargent he needs to score goals. However, from everyone listed I believe he has the highest upside. It's time though or he likely will slide down the depth chart. 

BilliesBy40 and Gremio14 like this

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I am going to disagree that we have better options for positions 2-5 on the Striker depth chart.  Zardes belongs in that group, and right now has shown he can handle CONCACAF matches.  Playing in CONCACAF is different than playing club ball.  Playing in a glorified cow pasture in El Salvador is different than playing on a perfectly manicured Dusseldorf Arena.  Playing street ball takes a different mindset than playing club ball.

To date in 2021, Zardes has appeared in 9 USMNT matches, scored 2 and has 1 assist.  Sargent has played in 6, no goals and 1 assist.  Pefok 8/1/0.  Dike 8/3/0 and Gioacctini 6/1/2.  I believe Zardes definitely is as good as our other options and belongs in the discussion.  (Maybe add Ferreria 1/2/3, ehhh, his one match and both goals were in that T&T 7-0 blowout.)  There are Forwards that you could add to the list, but do you really want to take LW or RW and put him at Striker against Mexico?

I would put Pepi, Sargent, Hoppe, Pefok and Duke over Zardes right now. Honestly wish Hoppe got more of a look at striker even though I know he’s been dynamic on the wing too.

slufanskip likes this

12 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

I would put Pepi, Sargent, Hoppe, Pefok and Duke over Zardes right now. Honestly wish Hoppe got more of a look at striker even though I know he’s been dynamic on the wing too.

That's fine.  You have your list, I have mine, slufanskip doesn't like stats nor apparently lists, but the only list that counts is Coach B's.

I really, really, really hope that Sargent turns the corner in what has to be a call up next month.  I really, really, really want our local stud to excel, but he needs to justify his call up.  So far in 18 caps, he has 5 goals.

Wouldn't it be great if you could put Pepi's soccer skills into Dike's body?

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

That's fine.  You have your list, I have mine, slufanskip doesn't like stats nor apparently lists, but the only list that counts is Coach B's.

I really, really, really hope that Sargent turns the corner in what has to be a call up next month.  I really, really, really want our local stud to excel, but he needs to justify his call up.  So far in 18 caps, he has 5 goals.

Wouldn't it be great if you could put Pepi's soccer skills into Dike's body?

The first part of this post is just stupid. I thought you were better than that. 

USWNT. In case anyone didn't know and might want to set it to record. Carli Lloyd plays her last game with the USWNT tonight. I don't know if anyone works any harder than Carli. I for one will miss watching her. Probably a top 10 athlete for me. 

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

USWNT. In case anyone didn't know and might want to set it to record. Carli Lloyd plays her last game with the USWNT tonight. I don't know if anyone works any harder than Carli. I for one will miss watching her. Probably a top 10 athlete for me. 

She’s amazing. I’ve loved watching her play over the years.

slufanskip likes this

On 10/26/2021 at 4:32 PM, slufanskip said:

Good finish to a great, complex career. Defensive Mid, Attacking Mid, Forward. Repeatedly big in big games. Perhaps less consistent at other times in her career. She had to work to add some things to her game over the years that didn’t come naturally. And she did that.

Some of her well documented conflicts were self created, and perhaps some of her work ethic was often with a camera around. But whatever it takes to have success varies, and she had a lot of that, and deserves the on field accolades of an all timer.

I liked seeing some of the younger players get an opportunity as well. 

Aaron Heard, of St. Louis City SC Academy, was invited to next week’s U17 National Team Camp. Central Attacking Mid that can play box to box, create, score etc…

He previously played with a good Bethesda (suburban D.C.) program before playing at Philadelphia Union Academy, which has had some Academy success. (He’s only 14)

9 hours ago, brianstl said:

You could have posted the tweet about it.

You’re trying way too hard.

1) I didn’t post a link to my own tweet, of information, I received from somewhere else. 2) The information in my post is from the people involved. 3) Head on out this Saturday. Kickoff is at Noon at Creve Coeur Park. 

6 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Jordan Morris has been medically cleared and will likely appear in Seattle’s Monday match v LAFC. He could be a call up option for Coach B for the Nov WCQ’s, subbing off the bench.  Let's see how he does on Monday and the Sounders match on the 7th.

Hadn’t he just transferred to a team in Europe when he got hurt? Or was that a loan. Either way, super excited for him. I think the January window is probably the earliest we could see him for the national team, but hopefully he can stay healthy and get fit.

5 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Hadn’t he just transferred to a team in Europe when he got hurt? Or was that a loan. Either way, super excited for him. I think the January window is probably the earliest we could see him for the national team, but hopefully he can stay healthy and get fit.

Jordan was on loan to Swansea City.  Let's see how he does in the next two games.  With Reyna out, and Pulisic TBD, we may need his energy off the bench.  This is Mexico we are talking about.

Reinert310 likes this

Here are Coach B's call ups for the two WCQ matches this month.  Notably absent are Brooks and Sargent.  Dest recently injured his back.

USMNT November World Cup Qualifying roster

(Goals/Caps listed)

GOALKEEPERS: Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 9/0), Zack Steffen (Manchester City/ENG; 24/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 12/0)

DEFENDERS: Reggie Cannon (Boavista/POR; 22/1), Mark McKenzie (Genk/BEL; 8/0), Chris Richards (Hoffenheim/GER; 4/0), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 17/1), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United; 14/3), Joe Scally (Borussia Mönchengladbach/GER; 0/0), Sam Vines (Royal Antwerp/BEL; 8/1), DeAndre Yedlin (Galatasaray/TUR; 69/0), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 20/2)

MIDFIELDERS: Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 42/2), Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER; 20/1), Gianluca Busio (Venezia/ITA; 7/0), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 33/8), Weston McKennie (Juventus/ITA; 27/7), Yunus Musah (Valencia/ESP; 9/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders; 29/0)

FORWARDS: Brenden Aaronson (Red Bull Salzburg/AUT; 13/5), Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 41/8), Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas; 2/2), Ricardo Pepi (FC Dallas; 4/3), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 40/16), Tim Weah (Lille/FRA; 16/1)

slufanskip likes this

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Here are Coach B's call ups for the two WCQ matches this month.  Notably absent are Brooks and Sargent.  Dest recently injured his back.

USMNT November World Cup Qualifying roster

(Goals/Caps listed)

GOALKEEPERS: Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 9/0), Zack Steffen (Manchester City/ENG; 24/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 12/0)

DEFENDERS: Reggie Cannon (Boavista/POR; 22/1), Mark McKenzie (Genk/BEL; 8/0), Chris Richards (Hoffenheim/GER; 4/0), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 17/1), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United; 14/3), Joe Scally (Borussia Mönchengladbach/GER; 0/0), Sam Vines (Royal Antwerp/BEL; 8/1), DeAndre Yedlin (Galatasaray/TUR; 69/0), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 20/2)

MIDFIELDERS: Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 42/2), Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER; 20/1), Gianluca Busio (Venezia/ITA; 7/0), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 33/8), Weston McKennie (Juventus/ITA; 27/7), Yunus Musah (Valencia/ESP; 9/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders; 29/0)

FORWARDS: Brenden Aaronson (Red Bull Salzburg/AUT; 13/5), Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 41/8), Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas; 2/2), Ricardo Pepi (FC Dallas; 4/3), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 40/16), Tim Weah (Lille/FRA; 16/1)

I don’t think there any glaring omissions. I’m excited to see how Scally and Ferreira play. But this was more or less what I expected and I’m fine with it. 

The continued call ups of Lletget, Arriola, and Roldan are baffling. I can stomach Acosta as a depth player. They must have some very compromising photos of Egg. 

Lletget is particularly surprising considering his tantrum/non-celebration after not being dressed in the Costa Rica game. 

Commentary from Matthew Doyle on MLSSoccer.

OK, let’s talk about that forward depth chart. We’ll start with the European contingent:

• Sargent has seven shots and zero goals in nine games for Norwich City
  • Hoppe has played 89 minutes all year for Mallorca and has one shot
  • Nico Gioacchini has two shots and zero goals for Montpellier

It’s easy to rule those guys out. It’s harder with Pefok, who has 9g/1a in about 1400 minutes for Young Boys this year. However, he hasn’t scored in about six weeks and seems to have lost his starting job. He was also poor for the US in the September camp.

Of the MLS contingent, Zardes would’ve been called if he’d been healthy. Dike has been in good goal scoring form for Orlando City with six goals in his past eight appearances – though it’s worth noting a couple of those were penalties – but he struggled mightily in his US appearances this summer.

Going beyond that list would’ve required a surprise call-up for the likes of Brian White or Miguel Berry, or a return to international action for Jozy Altidore. Jozy has been superb since recovering from foot surgery and looks fitter than he has in years, so I’ll admit I’m a little disappointed not to see him here.

Also worth noting: No Tim Ream. He's been very good for Fulham this year, and there's a real case to make that he should've been included over McKenzie, who is barely playing in Belgium.

3 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

The continued call ups of Lletget, Arriola, and Roldan are baffling. I can stomach Acosta as a depth player. They must have some very compromising photos of Egg. 

Lletget is particularly surprising considering his tantrum/non-celebration after not being dressed in the Costa Rica game. 

I don't totally hate Arriola. Serves a purpose as a high energy pressing guy. Don't love it, but am not toally against. Lletget and Roldan over someone like De La Torre just doesn't make sense to me.