OT: USMNT Soccer Thread

11 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach B is true to his statement, he has mixed up the starters for tonight.  No Pepi, No Dest, No Yedlin, No Robinson, No Aaronson.  Only 4 repeat starters.

Kickoff at 5:06.

You may have been right Re McKennie. I don’t like this lineup

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This sucks. The announcers complaining that no one is going forward and putting Panama under pressure is like complaining that there are no dunks in a 5th grade girls basketball game. Of course they aren’t, they have 1 player on the field with any skill with the ball. 

I’m not even sure we know which direction we should be going. Our completed passes backwards probably outnumbered our completed passes forward 4-1

Reinert310 and BilliesBy40 like this

4 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

This sucks. The announcers complaining that no one is going forward and putting Panera under pressure is like complaining that there are no dunks in a 5th grade girls basketball game. Of course they aren’t, they have 1 player on the field with any skill with the ball. 

I’m not even sure we know which direction we should be going. Our completed passes backwards probably outnumbered our completed passes forward 4-1

Great post. Lol. Sounds like Adams snd Aaronson coming in at half. That’s a start.

5 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

This sucks. The announcers complaining that no one is going forward and putting Panera under pressure is like complaining that there are no dunks in a 5th grade girls basketball game. Of course they aren’t, they have 1 player on the field with any skill with the ball. 

Can’t expect much else with two mediocre MLS CMs. Gregg’s infatuation with Lletget and Acosta is insane

15 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Great post. Lol. Sounds like Adams snd Aaronson coming in at half. That’s a start.

Except Aaronson replaced Musah so we still just have 1 player with any real offensive skill

1 positive, at least we know Zardes can get his head on a corner 

Reinert310 likes this

6 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach B is true to his statement, he has mixed up the starters for tonight.  No Pepi, No Dest, No Yedlin, No Robinson, No Aaronson.  Only 4 repeat starters.

Kickoff at 5:06.

Feels like they started a skeleton squad to try and eek out 1 point on the road, while focusing on winning 3 points at home later in the week. I get it, but they definitely went overboard . No  idea why you need to keep your hottest player (Pepi) on the bench when he only played 60 mins last game. Basically dead in the water without him, Adams, and the others you noted here. Midfield play was atrocious.  

7 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Feels like they started a skeleton squad to try and eek out 1 point on the road, while focusing on winning 3 points at home later in the week. I get it, but they definitely went overboard . No  idea why you need to keep your hottest player (Pepi) on the bench when he only played 60 mins last game. Basically dead in the water without him, Adams, and the others you noted here. Midfield play was atrocious.  

Yeah, and if you wanted to rotate the squad, you had Busio, Hoppe, De La Torre, Yedlin who are all better options that Arriola, Lletget, Acosta, and Moore.  Acosta has had a couple good games vs Mexico in his USMNT career, and other than that has looked extremely mediocre. 

Final thought, I know Gregg basically had to play Bello since A. Robinson couldn’t travel. But Bello was awful. And we’ve got Joe Scally playing RB and LB at Gladbach, and playing both positions very well. That’s an inexcusable non- call in. Instead you played a Spanish second division player at RB and he had a shockingly bad game. 

Saving for the 3rd game seems silly to me. It seems like an easier task to get a home win vs Costa Rica then it was to draw against Panama. At least it seems the days when we have players like Acosta, Lletget, Bella, or Ariola even in a rotation are numbered

I know this was at home but the difference in talent between The 5 generally attacking players today and A Robinson plus Dest as outside backs compared to what we put on the field against Panama is remarkable. 

And how much has A Rob improved over the last couple of years. I went from please no if he played to please no if he doesn’t. And it’s not just a lack of LB talent, he’s just become a very good player. 

if we can ever field this 10. I think Aaronson has to be on the field so Reyna moves inside

Dest the Robinson boys and ? 
 Adams
Aaronson, Reyna, McKennie, Pulisic

Pepi 

Still leaving Weah and Musah not even in and they were both very good today

28 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I know this was at home but the difference in talent between The 5 generally attacking players today and A Robinson plus Dest as outside backs compared to what we put on the field against Panama is remarkable. 

And how much has A Rob improved over the last couple of years. I went from please no if he played to please no if he doesn’t. And it’s not just a lack of LB talent, he’s just become a very good player. 

if we can ever field this 10. I think Aaronson has to be on the field so Reyna moves inside

Adams

Pepi 

But where does that leave Zardes and Lletget? *Blue Font*

Interesting USMNT post-window depth chart from the MLSocer.com.  There is a lot to disagree with, but you could do worse.  they did say that John Brooks is on thin ice and that Busio typically plays 8, not the 6, but that is where played off the bench.  Also mentioned that Morris imminent return might result in a January call up and movement up the list.  Dest is listed at both R and LB due to the lack of depth at LB.  https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/usmnt-october-world-cup-qualifying-window-retrospective-stock-check-depth-chart-

lqdqc6eibsuhsbytn3tq.thumb.png.9a60cc306f503659c8215105d0838a4f.png

20 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Adams

Pepi 

I can’t disagree with the above.  I do not like Brooks at the other center back spot; but who starts in his spot is totally up for debate. The Mexico game is going to be a dogfight!!

My only change is if I have the choice to have Musah on the field or AAronson I take Aaronson

so I have Pulisic and Aaronson on the wings and I move Reyes inside. 

Brooks, Zimmerman, or Richards I'm unsure of next to Miles. I don't want to just dismiss Brooks as good as he's been over 1 WCQ window. I think Richards is the future

21 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Interesting USMNT post-window depth chart from the MLSocer.com.  There is a lot to disagree with, but you could do worse.  they did say that John Brooks is on thin ice and that Busio typically plays 8, not the 6, but that is where played off the bench.  Also mentioned that Morris imminent return might result in a January call up and movement up the list.  Dest is listed at both R and LB due to the lack of depth at LB.  https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/usmnt-october-world-cup-qualifying-window-retrospective-stock-check-depth-chart-

lqdqc6eibsuhsbytn3tq.thumb.png.9a60cc306f503659c8215105d0838a4f.png

I agree with almost all of this. And I agree that Morris is a bit of a wildcard once he’s fit. But my guess is when push comes to shove, and we’re ready to head to Qatar, Sargent will be ahead of Zardes and Weah will be ahead of Arriola 

Gyasi Zardes will miss two-to-four weeks due to an MCL sprain in his knee, head coach Caleb Porter confirmed Friday. Zardes will likely miss the Crew’s final four regular season matches and could also be unavailable for U.S. men’s national team involvement during its pair of November World Cup Qualifiers against Mexico and Jamaica.

13 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Gyasi Zardes will miss two-to-four weeks due to an MCL sprain in his knee, head coach Caleb Porter confirmed Friday. Zardes will likely miss the Crew’s final four regular season matches and could also be unavailable for U.S. men’s national team involvement during its pair of November World Cup Qualifiers against Mexico and Jamaica.

I genuinely felt bad for my immediate reflex reaction being, “this is good news.” I have nothing against Zardes. He’s just not as good as our other options.

slufanskip and Littlebill like this

38 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I genuinely felt bad for my immediate reflex reaction being, “this is good news.” I have nothing against Zardes. He’s just not as good as our other options.

I had the same initial thought when I read your post. Sargent really needs to step forward if he gets the chance.

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I had the same initial thought when I read your post. Sargent really needs to step forward if he gets the chance.

Right now, Pepi is the #1 option at striker. It’s not particularly close. But I still think Sargent has a role, even if it’s off the bench. His hold up play is superior to any other striker on the roster. If we get a lead, you could bring him on to keep possession. Or play him underneath Pepi if Pulisic and Reyna aren’t available again.

2 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Right now, Pepi is the #1 option at striker. It’s not particularly close. But I still think Sargent has a role, even if it’s off the bench. His hold up play is superior to any other striker on the roster. If we get a lead, you could bring him on to keep possession. Or play him underneath Pepi if Pulisic and Reyna aren’t available again.

Yes, That's what I meant by Sargent stepping up. Agree Pepi has to be #1 right now. I just think Sargent is better than the rest, but he has to be able to put the ball in the net. 

Reinert310 likes this

7 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

6 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I am going to disagree that we have better options for positions 2-5 on the Striker depth chart.  Zardes belongs in that group, and right now has shown he can handle CONCACAF matches.  Playing in CONCACAF is different than playing club ball.  Playing in a glorified cow pasture in El Salvador is different than playing on a perfectly manicured Dusseldorf Arena.  Playing street ball takes a different mindset than playing club ball.

To date in 2021, Zardes has appeared in 9 USMNT matches, scored 2 and has 1 assist.  Sargent has played in 6, no goals and 1 assist.  Pefok 8/1/0.  Dike 8/3/0 and Gioacctini 6/1/2.  I believe Zardes definitely is as good as our other options and belongs in the discussion.  (Maybe add Ferreria 1/2/3, ehhh, his one match and both goals were in that T&T 7-0 blowout.)  There are Forwards that you could add to the list, but do you really want to take LW or RW and put him at Striker against Mexico?