OT: USMNT Soccer Thread

Pepi looks like a skinny 18 year old.  Wait until he develops his body.  He might be unstoppable.  The commentators had a very interesting comment in that he needs to carefully evalulate any offers to move to Europe.  He does NOT want to go to a situation where he is on the bench, not playing in matches.  Too many are in that situation now.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Josh Sargent we hardly knew ya. 

Commentators please quit insinuating that if you get ball first nothing you do afterwards matters. 

I would not have given a red on either of the 2 fouls. 

Overall a good a game considering we were minus Reyna and Pulisic, 

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Pepi looks like a skinny 18 year old.  Wait until he develops his body.  He might be unstoppable. 

I had as similar thought last night. You can tell he is young by looking at him, but he is a natural goal scorer unlike the USMNT has seen in a long, long time. 

I still think Sargent has a spot on the roster, for certain situations, given that his hold up play is superior to anybody else we have, but the #9 is now Pepi’s  job to lose. Good for him. It’s been a while since we had somebody finish the way he has been.

6 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Pepi looks like a skinny 18 year old.  Wait until he develops his body.  He might be unstoppable.  The commentators had a very interesting comment in that he needs to carefully evalulate any offers to move to Europe.  He does NOT want to go to a situation where he is on the bench, not playing in matches.  Too many are in that situation now.

Similarly, you don’t want to go to a Sargent type situation at Werder, where you play all the time, but have no service on a team that creates nothing. Sargent has gone backwards since arriving at Werder, and his move to Norwich is similarly no better.  Sargent should really be canning his agent. 

Pepi should be looking at an Ajax/PSV/Salzburg/Sporting Lisbon level team where he could bang in 20 goals and get his big move in 2 years or so. Aaronson’s move to Salzburg should be a great model… he’ll be at a top 20 club within the next year. 

4 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

The second tackle didn't deserve a card at all. I am not sure it was even a foul. 

It was absolutely a foul. That's my point on the commentators who should know better. Just because you may nick or touch the ball 1st, doesn't allow you to follow through and take his legs out. I thought the ref got both right with yellow cards. 

RUBillsFan and HoosierPal like this

12 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Similarly, you don’t want to go to a Sargent type situation at Werder, where you play all the time, but have no service on a team that creates nothing. Sargent has gone backwards since arriving at Werder, and his move to Norwich is similarly no better.  Sargent should really be canning his agent. 

Pepi should be looking at an Ajax/PSV/Salzburg/Sporting Lisbon level team where he could bang in 20 goals and get his big move in 2 years or so. Aaronson’s move to Salzburg should be a great model… he’ll be at a top 20 club within the next year. 

I saw a tweet last night, can’t remember who it was from, but said that Ajax and 1 other team, might’ve been PSV (I’m going off my horrible memory here) had scouts at the game looking at Pepi. I know Ajax was 1 of the teams mentioned.

3 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I saw a tweet last night, can’t remember who it was from, but said that Ajax and 1 other team, might’ve been PSV (I’m going off my horrible memory here) had scouts at the game looking at Pepi. I know Ajax was 1 of the teams mentioned.

Bayern was the other.

Reinert310 likes this

The level of young Talent on the USMNT is incredible

I believe Pulisic is the oldest of these and he just turned 23

Pulisic, Reyna, MckInney, Adams, Dest, Musah, Pepi, Aaronson

All of these players have proven they can make an impact at the International level

Add In the 2 Robinson's both just 24 plus Tim Weah, Chris Richards, and even Josh Sargent, who I think can all be solid or better International players it's incredible. 

We could field a team that's probably more talented and playing at higher levels throughout Europe than any other USMNT in history and have no one over 24. 

And the Crowd. I don't think I've ever heard a crowd like that almost 100% supporting the US at a USMNT game. 

Kudos to Austin and those in attendance. Austin should be a regular venue moving forward. I've had enough of feeling like we are on the road at home. If the crowd can't be 80% USA then we shouldn't play there. No exceptions

ABomb, I don't think I heard you all night. What's up with that. Maybe you should have taken 05 with you. 

TheA_Bomb likes this

20 hours ago, slufanskip said:

It was absolutely a foul. That's my point on the commentators who should know better. Just because you may nick or touch the ball 1st, doesn't allow you to follow through and take his legs out. I thought the ref got both right with yellow cards. 

I'm not sure why this is a difficult concept for some people to understand.

In basketball if you are closing out on a 3 pt shooter, you can't partially block the shot & then truck the shooter without getting called for a foul.  Similarly, a guy blocking a shot at the rim can't swat the ball & then follow through into the offensive player's head without it being a foul (likely a flagrant).

slufanskip likes this

13 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Steffens and A Robinson not traveling to Panama due to the Premier League quarantine rules / code. McKennie also out due to a sore quad. 

Read today, Weston’s injury is not serious. But with the travel, just taking precautions and giving him some rest and time to rehab by going straight to Columbus for Costa Rica. Should be good to go later this week.

I'm great with Turner in goal but A Robinson and McKennie will be tough to replace the difference between McKennie and likely starter Acosta is just a tad less than the difference between Acosta and me. 

Athletic believes we'll start Dest on the left and Yedlin on the right. I love Dest on the right but imo he hasn't been the same player on the left. 

F...ing Covid

If we get a win without 3 of what I believe to be our best e players it will say something. 

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

I'm great with Turner in goal but A Robinson and McKennie will be tough to replace the difference between McKennie and likely starter Acosta is just a tad less than the difference between Acosta and me. 

Athletic believes we'll start Dest on the left and Yedlin on the right. I love Dest on the right but imo he hasn't been the same player on the left. 

F...ing Covid

If we get a win without 3 of what I believe to be our best e players it will say something. 

Coach B isn't going to play anyone 270 this break.  So while Robinson and McKennie aren't going to Panama, they might not have played under normal circumstances anyway.  Steffen was going in as a backup (Okay, Turner will go 270, but he runs what 1/4 mile a match?), so for me Steffen is wise not to venture into the den of a Red Marked Country and have to deal with the 'stuff' (I was going to say bs, but elected not to) from the Premier League's quarantine and Code rules.

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Steffens and A Robinson not traveling to Panama due to the Premier League quarantine rules / code. McKennie also out due to a sore quad. 

4 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Read today, Weston’s injury is not serious. But with the travel, just taking precautions and giving him some rest and time to rehab by going straight to Columbus for Costa Rica. Should be good to go later this week.

Weston isn’t going to Panama because he’s unvaccinated. Panama has restrictions on entry for unvaccinated visitors.

16 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach B isn't going to play anyone 270 this break.  So while Robinson and McKennie aren't going to Panama, they might not have played under normal circumstances anyway.  Steffen was going in as a backup (Okay, Turner will go 270, but he runs what 1/4 mile a match?), so for me Steffen is wise not to venture into the den of a Red Marked Country and have to deal with the 'stuff' (I was going to say bs, but elected not to) from the Premier League's quarantine and Code rules.

So are you saying Robinson and McKennie won’t be tough to replace? I didn’t comment on whether it was right or wrong or whether or not they would play, just that they’d be hard to replace. With that said had they both been healthy and going, they would have started and played quite a bit depending on how the game was going. Anything else would be silly. It’s a concacaf road game you play your best. 

17 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Weston isn’t going to Panama because he’s unvaccinated. Panama has restrictions on entry for unvaccinated visitors.

Not saying you’re wrong, but they said he has a tight quad. And it did look like he might’ve tweaked something at the end of the Jamaica game. Could just be a cover story for not being vaccinated, but that’s what I read.

19 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Not saying you’re wrong, but they said he has a tight quad. And it did look like he might’ve tweaked something at the end of the Jamaica game. Could just be a cover story for not being vaccinated, but that’s what I read.

He couldn’t go regardless or vacc status, right?

also it’ll be hard to leave with a win tonight. Not a strong lineup