OT: USMNT Soccer Thread

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reyna gone is really going to hurt.   75% possession vs Canada but couldn't convert.  Pulisic had to come way back just to get the ball as no one was getting it to him.   They couldn't quickly reverse field or break down the defense some other ways.

Gregg the Egg is in over his head with this team. It’s one thing to coast through a couple regional summer tournaments with one goal wins. But WCQ is a different beast, and he’s clearly overmatched and underprepared. Any result other than three points tonight and he needs to go. 

this is the worst position to be in as a fan, you want your team to succeed but know they will never succeed at the highest level with their current coach.  I’m obviously pulling for a win tonight, a World Cup with GGG is obviously better than no World Cup. But I wish the USSF would’ve made the right hire at the time instead of going with one of their head exec’s brother. 

BilliesBy40 and Littlebill like this

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

Gregg the Egg is in over his head with this team. It’s one thing to coast through a couple regional summer tournaments with one goal wins. But WCQ is a different beast, and he’s clearly overmatched and underprepared. Any result other than three points tonight and he needs to go. 

this is the worst position to be in as a fan, you want your team to succeed but know they will never succeed at the highest level with their current coach.  I’m obviously pulling for a win tonight, a World Cup with GGG is obviously better than no World Cup. But I wish the USSF would’ve made the right hire at the time instead of going with one of their head exec’s brother. 

Let us not forget the USSF did not conduct a legitimate coaching search. 

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

I am having trouble finding this game on my Direct TV lineup.  I thought CBSSN would give me Paramount+, but Im seeing auto racing at 9pm.  

Can anyone help me here?

mhg

Canada has outplayed the US 2x now.  I was in KC for the Gold Cup and they made 2nd half adjustments that nullified the US team.  This last game their plan worked well too.  In KC they didn't have Davies so they lost. 

Narrative now is it's hard to win on road in CONCACAF because the facilities are bad.

3 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

I am having trouble finding this game on my Direct TV lineup.  I thought CBSSN would give me Paramount+, but Im seeing auto racing at 9pm.  

Can anyone help me here?

mhg

You will need to subscribe to Paramount+ to watch it in English. It will not be on CBSSN.

It will also be on Telemundo and Universo if you prefer or don’t mind a Spanish broadcast.

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Narrative now is it's hard to win on road in CONCACAF because the facilities are bad.

I don't think that is the narrative - it is more the environments involved. Just as it is in college sports

Well said in the above post @BilliesBy40. This team is behind the 8 ball. GGG couldn't coach his way out of a cracker jack box. Makes zero attempt to solve problems during matches. It is a disaster to watch

I am not a huge Berhalter fan but the overreacting by USMNT fans is a little bonkers. He took over a program with zero direction or leadership in 2019.

• In 2019 we went to the Gold Cup final and lost, which was about as good as could be expected given where the squad was at that point.
  • In 2021 we won the Nations League with a huge win over Mexico in the final; Our only blemish in the Nations League was against Canada (an infuriating loss),  but we came back to smack Canada 4-1 a couple of weeks later (they had Davies btw)
  • In 2021 we also won the Gold Cup with our B Team, again beating Mexico in the final
  • We have a much deeper pool of players with national team experience than we did a couple of years ago and we have are generally better organized than any time since probably Bob Bradley

I totally agree that he/they need to figure out how to consistently get goals and need to do it soon. But even as someone who was never a fan of Berhalter's style, it's hard to argue that he hasn't done a good job so far. 

2 hours ago, Littlebill said:

I don't think that is the narrative - it is more the environments involved. Just as it is in college sports

Well said in the above post @BilliesBy40

Yeah that's part of it but pay attention the other part is fields are bad, no showers blah blah.  It's excuses.   Soccer fans wherever are rabid.  Yeah El Salvador's pitch was bad.  Maybe practice at a HS or something to prepare.  USMNT is going up against small, poor countries and doesn't win consistently.

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Yeah that's part of it but pay attention the other part is fields are bad, no showers blah blah.  It's excuses.   Soccer fans wherever are rabid.  Yeah El Salvador's pitch was bad.  Maybe practice at a HS or something to prepare.  USMNT is going up against small, poor countries and doesn't win consistently.

World Cup qualifying is hard no matter what confederation you’re in. Italy tied Bulgaria. The European champions tied Bulgaria. Ireland tied Azerbaijan. Austria lost to Israel 5-2. It’s not an excuse. In World Cup qualifying, you’re getting everyone’s best every single game. Were the results of the 1st 2 games disappointing? Absolutely. Is it the end of the world? Not even close. We haven’t played anywhere near our best, and right now we’d still get a playoff to earn a spot in the World Cup. If you hate Berhalter and the process that was used to hire him, I get it. But the whole sky is falling overreactions because of 2 draws after 2 games is really tiresome.

On 9/6/2021 at 8:38 PM, BilliesBy40 said:

Yeah…the autograph story doesn’t add up.

It ended up being USMNT attempt of a cover up, seems they wanted to leave the other stuff rather private and it got out. They could technically use the autograph saga as the reason bc it did break the teams covid protocol, so they ran with it

25 minutes ago, wgstl said:

It ended up being USMNT attempt of a cover up, seems they wanted to leave the other stuff rather private and it got out. They could technically use the autograph saga as the reason bc it did break the teams covid protocol, so they ran with it

I never saw a USMNT posting on an autograph excuse. Can you share?

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

I never saw a USMNT announcement on an autograph excuse. Can you share?

It wasn’t announced from the GGG or USMNT, but was shared by Taylor twellmen . If I see it again I will 

Just now, BilliesBy40 said:

It will be interesting to see how people react if we fail to get 3 points tonight...the summer trophies seem pretty meaningless right now.

Agreed. I just think that all the overreacting isn’t helpful either. Does anybody know why the game tonight on Paramount+?

Just now, BilliesBy40 said:

Two reasons: (1) USSF does not control broadcast rights for away CONCACAF games; and (2) ViacomCBS is trying to drive people to Paramount+.

Thanks. I figured it had something to do trying to drive people to a knew streaming service. I didn’t know they had no control over away game rights.

4 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

The funny thing about fans bitching about the playing surface is it was as bad or worse in Nashville.