OT: USMNT Soccer Thread

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sky Championship is better than Bundesliga but Werder is better than Barnsley where Dike plays (I think).  However, I'm not sure what's better for development of Sergent.  Dike was inconsistent and he hasn't been in the game tonight, yet.  I had high hopes for him.

As for the Final tonight, US hanging and getting some chances.  Dominated in possession and given up more corners and shots but it is a tight game.  The youngest team ever in a Final for the US is showing some toughness.  Actually, they looked better in the 

GOOOOOAOOAOAAALAALALLLL!

Just finished the game. Man of the tourney has to be Turner. He was fantastic all tourney. We don’t win without him. 

Miles Robinson regardless of the goal has certainly advanced his standing as has Hoppe. 

Acosta had a good game tonight. Busio had more of an up arrow than a down in my opinion.

Have to be proud of the fight these guys showed.

33 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

What a game. Zardes wasn't great and we still have no solution for a striker unfortunately. Hoppe was great. Made some dumb mistakes but overall he was one of the standouts of the tournament. As well as Robinson and Acosta. I like Busio off the bench 

Think US soccer is coming alive. 

Eryk Williamson was arguably the best player on the field tonight until he was subbed out later. Have to have him in WCQs

47 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Just finished the game. Man of the tourney has to be Turner. He was fantastic all tourney. We don’t win without him. 

Miles Robinson regardless of the goal has certainly advanced his standing as has Hoppe. 

Acosta had a good game tonight. Busio had more of an up arrow than a down in my opinion.

Ya forgot about Turner. He was great all tournament. Think it is fair to say they dont win without him playing the way he did. Berhalter has some interesting decisions coming up regarding whose going to be the #1 keeper.

8 hours ago, slufanskip said:

+1. Robinson and Turner were spectacular the entire tournament. Robinson will not be in the MLS for long, so enjoy him while you can if you watch the league.

Busio had his best game of the tournament last night, showing more urgency and creativity than in prior games. He could find a similar role as a sub during qualifying. 

I liked what I saw from George Bello. I am not sure he will have a role this cycle, but in a few years he could be a key piece of the backline.

Overall, very impressive job by Berhalter and the team. I was skeptical that assortment of players could have much success, let alone beat Mexico at near full strength (and in a quasi-road game). Berhalter did an excellent job motivating the team and picking the right subs in key moments throughout the tournament. I am excited and interested to see what the squad looks like for qualifiers next month. 

Reinert310 likes this

I was not a fan of what I saw from Hoppe.  He seemed to consistently make bad decisions.  In OT, we had a good developing chance where he had two passing options.  Instead, he decided to airmail the ball 20 feet over the goal.  Beyond this, he just seemed to be a s*#t disturber, which has its place, but doesn't make you a great player.

I'm going to disagree on Hoppe.  Dude is young and yes he had some inconsistencies and a few bad decisions but he was often in the mix.  We needed something in a game that's 65% possession for Mexico you needed someone to take some chances, mix it up get in there.  He like Sergent is on a team that got relegated in Bundesliga.   I think given some time he's going to be better. 

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I was not a fan of what I saw from Hoppe.  He seemed to consistently make bad decisions.  In OT, we had a good developing chance where he had two passing options.  Instead, he decided to airmail the ball 20 feet over the goal.  Beyond this, he just seemed to be a s*#t disturber, which has its place, but doesn't make you a great player.

I'm with A Bomb. He's cocky and aggressive. The play where he cut it back just inside the 6 yard box was a play that very few of our players make. Most just try to shoot it through people or lay it off. I'm not saying he's an immediate 1st 11 but I believe he has potential to be a pretty good player. 

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I'm with A Bomb. He's cocky and aggressive. The play where he cut it back just inside the 6 yard box was a play that very few of our players make. Most just try to shoot it through people or lay it off. I'm not saying he's an immediate 1st 11 but I believe he has potential to be a pretty good player. 

Agreed on that Skip.  He has a Dempsey feel but still has much to learn.  Like the upside and attitude though in a game at Azteca.....wait, sorry that was in Las Vegas.  Hard to tell with the make-up of fans.  Looking forward to the day 40,000 American fans head to Azteca and overwhelm the home fans.  

Kudos to the boys though.  Very difficult game for such a young inexperienced squad.  Only criticism I have is the play of our central midfield for most of the night.  Maybe it was by design to crowd the middle and play guys who were less-apt to make offensive plays and more to destroy threats and get the ball back, but man we had no possession throughout the game in the middle of the field.  Guys were on top of each other constantly, they rushed the ball only to create a turnover, etc.  Again, they didn't give a goal though so defensively they got something right.  Credit for Berhalter making those changes late and bringing on guys who had that attacking/playmaking ability to bring some composure and put pressure on Mexico. It all worked in the end.  

slufanskip likes this

Hoppe, Busio and Bello aren't old enough to get a legal drink.  Each is an extremely talented soccer player, each had brilliant moments in the tourney, but each also reminded me how inexperienced and young they are.  Give them a few more years of seasoning and they will be the stars of the USMNT.  For now, I don't see any of them in the starting XI for the initial World Cup qualifiers later this year.  One or two might make the WC Roster, or they might not make the WC Roster.

Zardes, Turner, Robinson, Acosta (and Zimmerman)- all yes on the WC Roster.

17 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Hoppe, Busio and Bello aren't old enough to get a legal drink.  Each is an extremely talented soccer player, each had brilliant moments in the tourney, but each also reminded me how inexperienced and young they are.  Give them a few more years of seasoning and they will be the stars of the USMNT.  For now, I don't see any of them in the starting XI for the initial World Cup qualifiers later this year.  One or two might make the WC Roster, or they might not make the WC Roster.

Zardes, Turner, Robinson, Acosta (and Zimmerman)- all yes on the WC Roster.

Okay, based upon the opinions of respected posters, I will give Hoppe a pass.  I also saw similar things from Bello and Busio, but if they are all that young, let's give them time to gain experience and develop.

25 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

would be great to see, although city inquires about every striker ever, so nothing will come from that nor should it.

Just for fun, what is your starting XI for the first WC Qualifier.  Assume all injuries are healed.  We are all self proclaimed experts.

G - Turner (yep, he has sold me)

D - A. Robinson, Brooks, Zimmerman, Dest

Mid - Weah, Adams, McKennie

F - Reyna, Zardes, Pulisic

I could be talked into Vines at LBack.  Whatever!!!!

24 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Just for fun, what is your starting XI for the first WC Qualifier.  Assume all injuries are healed.  We are all self proclaimed experts.

acosta (or a 10 if you're thinking that way) for weah and literally anyone else for zardes. He worked for this gold cup roster that had little to no creatives and needed energy to create opportunities, but we'll need a better finisher, or at least one with a semblance of technical ability and mainly hold up play, when we're full of talented creators like we will be at WCQs

Also, would be pretty surprised if a healthy Steffen doesn't start imo

52 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

If Steffen is healthy, I think he’s going to be in goal. Turner was incredible. He deserves a shot. But Steffen and Horvath haven’t don’t anything to fall down the depth chart yet. My guess is all 3 of them will get starts at some point during qualifying, but I’d bet Steffen gets the 1st one. Agree 100% with your back line. I really like your midfield. I think it will be some combination of those three plus Acosta and Musah who hasn’t been mentioned much, but has huge talent. Reyna and Pulisic are locks to start. But I bet Sargent starts game one over Zardes/Dike/Hoppe. Berhalter appreciates his hold-up play. But he’s going to be on thin ice if he doesn’t start finishing.

Idk who will be in the roster but this is my line up

steffen

dest Robinson Brooks Robinson 

Adams

mckennie musah

Reyna Sargent pulisic 

Potential replacement is Zimmerman for Robinson or dike for josh