OT: USMNT Soccer Thread

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@HoosierPal @slufanskip

See attached for an explanation. Musah has played in 4 or more matches, but he has not appeared in an “official” match. He is not cap tied until doing so. Just like he would not be cap tied if he appeared in one official match but less than 4 total matches. The US Soccer Federation is aware of this regarding Musah.

EAA26089-36E6-4F61-9C5C-AAFA5C8476C6.png

2 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

@HoosierPal @slufanskip

See attached for an explanation. Musah has played in 4 or more matches, but he has not appeared in an “official” match. He is not cap tied until doing so. Just like he would not be cap tied if he appeared in one official match but less than 4 total matches. The US Soccer Federation is aware of this regarding Musah.

EAA26089-36E6-4F61-9C5C-AAFA5C8476C6.png

Do you think there’s a pretty good chance that he plays in the Gold Cup next month, and would be cap tied then (I’m assuming)? I don’t think there’s much chance of him changing his mind now anyway, but would be nice for it to be official.

2 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Do you think there’s a pretty good chance that he plays in the Gold Cup next month, and would be cap tied then (I’m assuming)? I don’t think there’s much chance of him changing his mind now anyway, but would be nice for it to be official.

Doubtful. The Gold Cup roster will likely be made up of MLS players since the tournament overlaps with the pre-season for European clubs.

I agree the risk of him switching is extremely low FWIW. Still, it is frustrating Berhalter did not cap tie him when he had the chance (and played nearly the entire roster between those two games).

slufanskip and Reinert310 like this

10 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Doubtful. The Gold Cup roster will likely be made up of MLS players since the tournament overlaps with the pre-season for European clubs.

I agree the risk of him switching is extremely low FWIW. Still, it is frustrating Berhalter did not cap tie him when he had the chance (and played nearly the entire roster between those two games).

I guess WC qualifying this fall then? The good news with our crazy schedule this year is, we don’t lack for opportunities.

12 hours ago, slufanskip said:

It feels strange to say the back line is the weakness of a USMNT, but it is by a considerable margin. Dest is superbly talented offensively but leaves a lot to be desired defensively. Robinson is the best on the left side and that’s not a brag. Brooks is a competent central defender but who do we pair with him? If we can find defensive solutions, this team can make real noise as they mature 

I feel like the back line has been our biggest weakness for at least a decade. We’ve had players like Donovan/Dempsey/Bradley up front/in the middle. I like Adams to play CDM and fill some holes from that position in the future.

Reinert310 likes this

12 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

There seems to be varying opinions as to whether Musah is cap tied to the US or not.  this agrees with what Twellman said, that he was capped thru the North Ireland game.

https://en.as.com/en/2021/03/28/football/1616965711_557648.html

I'm going with 50/50.

Yes, because the rule is somewhat confusing. However, it is intended to make it harder to permanently cap tie young players, not easier. Another example is Tim Weah, who became cap tied in the game against Mexico despite playing in quite a few friendlies previously.

https://twitter.com/USMNT/status/1401734283568594946?s=20

Big day ahead for those interested in the NBA and international soccer. England and Croatia kick off the day at 8:00 am. England has an embarrassment of riches in the attack, including Jadon Sancho who was left off the 23-man roster for the game. Sancho rates either slightly above or below Pulisic, which serves as a good reminder of how far the USMNT has to go in building a complete squad to compete with the world’s top teams.

57 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Big day ahead for those interested in the NBA and international soccer. England and Croatia kick off the day at 8:00 am. England has an embarrassment of riches in the attack, including Jadon Sancho who was left off the 23-man roster for the game. Sancho rates either slightly above or below Pulisic, which serves as a good reminder of how far the USMNT has to go in building a complete squad to compete with the world’s top teams.

After the first 5 minutes, this ridiculously valued England team has looked very average. I tend to think English players are always overvalued because nearly all of them (Sancho aside) ply their trade in the league with an abundance of cash to overpay players. I cannot figure how Sancho didn't make the game squad.

1 hour ago, davidnark said:

After the first 5 minutes, this ridiculously valued England team has looked very average. I tend to think English players are always overvalued because nearly all of them (Sancho aside) ply their trade in the league with an abundance of cash to overpay players. I cannot figure how Sancho didn't make the game squad.

Sancho’s omission was strange, especially since Bellingham got into the game. I am not very bullish on Foden or Mount, although I am in the minority.

6 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Sancho’s omission was strange, especially since Bellingham got into the game. I am not very bullish on Foden or Mount, although I am in the minority.

Because of Pulisic, I watched most of Chelsea's games this season. I was a Mount skeptic for a long time, but I was a fan by season's end. He isn't super explosive or flashy, but he has great ball skills, excellent positioning and movement, and really keeps the offense and possession flowing for Chelsea. I do wonder how well that will translate to international play where the players don't get as much time together in their system. 

23 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Foden in great form all year for the best team in the world, so I can understand why you wouldn't be bullish

8 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Foden in great form all year for the best team in the world, so I can understand why you wouldn't be bullish

Ya I cant get behind that Foden take.  he's about 1 to 2 years from being one of the best in the world.

4 hours ago, wgstl said:

Ya I cant get behind that Foden take.  he's about 1 to 2 years from being one of the best in the world.

I could've explained better. Foden is a great young player, but I think he benefits greatly from Pep. By not being as bullish on him, I basically mean I don't think he is or will be one of the best in the world (unlike most, including you).

It was a shame he did not get a better bounce on his early shot yesterday.

6 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Foden and Mount are both players any manager would be happy to have on their squad.  That said, I take a healthy Harvey Barnes over either of them.  His combination of pace, skill and timing boosted LCFC to second place in the Premier….his brutal injury led to the Foxes crashing out of Champion’s League contention.  Hopefully he is back at full strength next season…he is a joy to watch every time he gets the ball….definitely will be on the England team when healthy.

43 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Depends on our roster. I will likely pass if it looks like I expect. It was submitted to CONCACAF on Monday, so we should find out any day.

If youre hoping for Pulisic, McKennie, Adams, Sargent, Steffen, etc. yes, you’ll likely be disappointed. But there should be some very exciting young names on the roster.  I’m hoping for all of the following:  Caden Clark, Cade Cowell, Daryl Dike, Gianluca Busio, Owen Otasowie, and (my long shot) Folarin Balogun. 

Id say the first four are probable, Otasowie is a toss up (Wolves preseason will be important for him), and Balogun is a very long shot, but one I’d definitely invite based on potential alone, and our lack of a bonafide striker.  

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

If youre hoping for Pulisic, McKennie, Adams, Sargent, Steffen, etc. yes, you’ll likely be disappointed. But there should be some very exciting young names on the roster.  I’m hoping for all of the following:  Caden Clark, Cade Cowell, Daryl Dike, Gianluca Busio, Owen Otasowie, and (my long shot) Folarin Balogun. 

Id say the first four are probable, Otasowie is a toss up (Wolves preseason will be important for him), and Balogun is a very long shot, but one I’d definitely invite based on potential alone, and our lack of a bonafide striker.  

Thanks for those MLS names. I rarely follow the league, although I am familiar with Busio. I doubt we will see Otasowie or Balogun. Dike will be a nice addition since he’s in a weird spot with his club affiliation. I get excited about anyone who puts the ball in net as frequently as he has the past few years.

• 1 month later...

Shaq Moore gives USA the lead 20 seconds in. We have to beat Canada today to win the group (Canada owns the tiebreaker), but we’re both already into the knockout round.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone watching?  I nearly bought tix but $350 for 2 was a lil steep.  I'll try to get WCQ USMNT vs Jamaica on OCT 7.