OT: USMNT Soccer Thread

24 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I looked it up. He doesn't start for a top team in a decent but not great league. The top 2 US goalkeepers don't start for the respective club teams. Wow. 

Maybe, but that doesn't help us. If it's been a problem, we should have been prepared to start evicting them in bunches. 

To be fair, Zach Steffen’s team just won the Premier League. He’s a good enough keeper to be starting in Europe. He started Champions League games for Man City this year. And on the postgame last night, the guys were speculating that after last night’s performance, teams are going to start making phone calls about Horvath now too. I tend to agree. His game last night is going to open some people’s eyes. Sometimes, all you need is a chance. 

Pistol and slufanskip like this

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

To be fair, Zach Steffen’s team just won the Premier League. He’s a good enough keeper to be starting in Europe. He started Champions League games for Man City this year. And on the postgame last night, the guys were speculating that after last night’s performance, teams are going to start making phone calls about Horvath now too. I tend to agree. His game last night is going to open some people’s eyes. Sometimes, all you need is a chance. 

Agreed re Steffen, however, if he can't be the main keep, he needs to get to a place where he can be. I don't completely understand the way player movement works in Europe but couldn't he at least go on loan somewhere and play? Could he start for a top flight Premier league team? 

Reinert310 likes this

6 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Horvath's situation is a bit confusing. He started for Brugge in 2018-2019, including for their Champions League games where he had strong showings against some big clubs (Atletico, Dortmund, etc.). Since that time he has fallen down the depth chart. 

5 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Agreed re Steffen, however, if he can't be the main keep, he needs to get to a place where he can be. I don't completely understand the way player movement works in Europe but couldn't he at least go on loan somewhere and play? Could he start for a top flight Premier league team? 

Yes to both questions. Man City previously loaned him out, but that was when he wasn’t their back-up keeper. He’s valuable to Man City since he’s capable in big spots (as noted above about his Champions League appearance).

I agree, though, I wish he had a lead role in the Prem. He has dealt with a variety of injuries too which hasn’t helped.

25 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Yes to both questions. Man City previously loaned him out, but that was when he wasn’t their back-up keeper. He’s valuable to Man City since he’s capable in big spots (as noted above about his Champions League appearance).

I agree, though, I wish he had a lead role in the Prem. He has dealt with a variety of injuries too which hasn’t helped.

I've just found myself watching more European soccer mainly due to Reyna and Pulisic, but am going to add Juventas to my list. I really like all 3. It used to be Pulisic was clearly the top player, but that gap imo is closing. Just to think we have 3 players still under 23 playing at the level they are is unbelievable. Any of the 3 by themselves we'd be saying is potentially the best US player ever. 

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

I've just found myself watching more European soccer mainly due to Reyna and Pulisic, but am going to add Juventas to my list. I really like all 3. It used to be Pulisic was clearly the top player, but that gap imo is closing. Just to think we have 3 players still under 23 playing at the level they are is unbelievable. Any of the 3 by themselves we'd be saying is potentially the best US player ever. 

Totally agree. I love Pulisic and Reyna, but I’m starting to think McKinnie might end up being the best of the bunch. He just seems to always be at the right place at the right time. Pulisic and Reyna are going to be great too, along with probably Weah and Musah and Dest, the list goes on, but McKinnie is phenomenal.

slufanskip likes this

2 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

I didn't watch the game (wish I did).  Did Horvath do anything more than save the penalty kick?  If not, all he did was guess low and to his right.  He didn't get very far in that direction even having guessed it.  The Mexican player took a terrible penalty shot and put it right into him.  I wouldn't call that reason to get a greater opportunity than your previous body of work has earned you.

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I think one reason Steffen made sense at Man City is that he was battling tendonitis in his knee and cutting down on his workload for a season made sense in order to help him recover from / manage that injury while still being at a high level.

He likely could not start for a top Premier League team but he could maybe start for a lower-middle Premier League team.  Prior to Man City, he started for a year at Dusseldorf which was a bottom-table Bundesliga team.

I like Zack Steffen and think he is a goalie, but we definitely need more depth and options at that position. 20-year old David Ochoa at Real Salt Lake is probably our most promising goalie prospect from what I can tell. It's strange how few high-caliber keepers we've put out in the post Tim Howard era. 

13 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I didn't watch the game (wish I did).  Did Horvath do anything more than save the penalty kick?  If not, all he did was guess low and to his right.  He didn't get very far in that direction even having guessed it.  The Mexican player took a terrible penalty shot and put it right into him.  I wouldn't call that reason to get a greater opportunity than your previous body of work has earned you.

Yes. He actually made at least 3 or 4 other great saves. One was on a play that was offsides, but he didn’t know that, and it was a phenomenal save. He really was excellent last night.

cgeldmacher and slufanskip like this

It’s always good to get a win. It’s always good to get a win vs a good opponent such as Mexico. And it’s always good to win a tourney. Celebrate success, and keep working. Fun, exciting, spirited game. Not a possession type of game.

Ream is a popular scapegoat for some, but he was okay minuaca couple of challenges until Dest was curiously subbed out of the game in the 60th minute. The U.S. changed formation and shape at that point, essentially going from five across the back with Dest providing solid play and speed out wide, to three across the back moving Ream from inside left back to outside left back with lots more space to cover. Acosta needed to drift left in the defensive midfield where there was more need and less support. Eventually Ream was subbed out and Acosta was moved to left back where he plays often w/his club team. And he found out that formation requires a lot at that position.

Brooks had a clumsy yellow card foul in the 6th minute, which forced him to adjust his play a bit, and he and had his 28th minute mistake as well. 

McKenzie had the giveaway in the 2nd minute for the goal, a bad giveaway in the 34th minute and was beaten over the top in the 43rd minute. 

Acosta struggled to defend set pieces. Got away with it on Mexico’s off sides goal. Too much ball watching. Had the 49th minute yellow card. And had some close out challenges later in the game.

Yedlin was fine until his OT injury. Talked his way to stay in and it was almost costly. Needed a sub there. 

The above will get discussed less by some. Poise under pressure wasn’t good enough early for multiple players.

Reyna was the best U.S. player. Strong two way game. Good first touch in tight spaces with pace. Defended well before fatiguing. Part of his sub was the formation change which required even more defensively from him. McKennie was good in the air on set pieces, with distribution, and winning balls. And after a slow start not getting many touches, Pulisic played similar to Reyna. 

Sargent will need to finish more here and there. Had some nice runs getting behind the defense. Won the corner on the first U.S. goal. (Size advantage for U.S. on set pieces, dangerous) Had about 3-4 mostly off balance opportunities. 

Horvath played well. 

21 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

He wont see a lot of PL games for us for obvious reasons, but we play a in a lot of other comps that he gets a decent amount of starts in. 

Also, Eddie has been known to do reckless things that has gotten him to miss PL matches in the past, so perhaps Zach needs to be ready.

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

He wont see a lot of PL games for us for obvious reasons, but we play a in a lot of other comps that he gets a decent amount of starts in. 

Also, Eddie has been known to do reckless things that has gotten him to miss PL matches in the past, so perhaps Zach needs to be ready.

EPL teams play so many games, he'll get PT in Cups and if the main keeper is hurt.

Club Brugge is alright usually Europa League level team.  It would be better if Horvath were starting for them, maybe he can get on with another club to start.

24 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

EPL teams play so many games, he'll get PT in Cups and if the main keeper is hurt.

Club Brugge is alright usually Europa League level team.  It would be better if Horvath were starting for them, maybe he can get on with another club to start.

I just read in an SI article that Horvath's contract is up with Club Brugge. 

23 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Totally agree. I love Pulisic and Reyna, but I’m starting to think McKinnie might end up being the best of the bunch. He just seems to always be at the right place at the right time. Pulisic and Reyna are going to be great too, along with probably Weah and Musah and Dest, the list goes on, but McKinnie is phenomenal.

Keys to getting every set piece header:

1. Be the most athletic guy on the pitch

2. Practice reps with Ronaldo 

3. Play a short Mexican team   

In STL news, is it just me or does Sargent always seems to underwhelm up top. 

The Pulisic-McKennie-Reyna-Dest core is nasty. They’ll be 27, 27, 25, 23 during the 2026 World Cup. 

Also thought it was odd Musah didn’t get in during a game we used 5 subs, which would have cap tied him. 

slufanskip likes this

1 hour ago, majerus mojo said:

The Pulisic-McKennie-Reyna-Dest core is nasty. They’ll be 27, 27, 25, 23 during the 2026 World Cup. 

Also thought it was odd Musah didn’t get in during a game we used 5 subs, which would have cap tied him. 

I hope Werder Bremen sells Sargent.  His development has stalled there on a team that lacks creative weapons. Hopefully that is the issue.  

BilliesBy40 and slufanskip like this

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I hope Werder Bremen sells Sargent.  His development has stalled there on a team that lacks creative weapons. Hopefully that is the issue.  

Not to mention they just got relegated and will no longer be in the Bundesliga. I definitely would like to see him at a different club.  

Reinert310 and brianstl like this

13 hours ago, courtside said:

It’s always good to get a win. It’s always good to get a win vs a good opponent such as Mexico. And it’s always good to win a tourney. Celebrate success, and keep working. Fun, exciting, spirited game. Not a possession type of game.

Ream is a popular scapegoat for some, but he was okay minuaca couple of challenges until Dest was curiously subbed out of the game in the 60th minute. The U.S. changed formation and shape at that point, essentially going from five across the back with Dest providing solid play and speed out wide, to three across the back moving Ream from inside left back to outside left back with lots more space to cover. Acosta needed to drift left in the defensive midfield where there was more need and less support. Eventually Ream was subbed out and Acosta was moved to left back where he plays often w/his club team. And he found out that formation requires a lot at that position.

Brooks had a clumsy yellow card foul in the 6th minute, which forced him to adjust his play a bit, and he and had his 28th minute mistake as well. 

McKenzie had the giveaway in the 2nd minute for the goal, a bad giveaway in the 34th minute and was beaten over the top in the 43rd minute. 

Acosta struggled to defend set pieces. Got away with it on Mexico’s off sides goal. Too much ball watching. Had the 49th minute yellow card. And had some close out challenges later in the game.

Yedlin was fine until his OT injury. Talked his way to stay in and it was almost costly. Needed a sub there. 

The above will get discussed less by some. Poise under pressure wasn’t good enough early for multiple players.

Reyna was the best U.S. player. Strong two way game. Good first touch in tight spaces with pace. Defended well before fatiguing. Part of his sub was the formation change which required even more defensively from him. McKennie was good in the air on set pieces, with distribution, and winning balls. And after a slow start not getting many touches, Pulisic played similar to Reyna. 

Sargent will need to finish more here and there. Had some nice runs getting behind the defense. Won the corner on the first U.S. goal. (Size advantage for U.S. on set pieces, dangerous) Had about 3-4 mostly off balance opportunities. 

Horvath played well. 

Totally agree @courtside. The entire back line was shaky at some point or another. The biggest problem I have with Ream is that he just doesn’t have the pace to play at this level. Other guys have to spend too much time and energy backing him up. But you are 100% right the entire back line was shaky, not just Ream. 

8 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Sargent absolutely needs to score more goals, but he does a lot of other stuff that goes unnoticed. I’m not saying he’s the undisputed future of USMNT up top, but he gets unfairly criticized sometimes I think. 

11 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Totally agree @courtside. The entire back line was shaky at some point or another. The biggest problem I have with Ream is that he just doesn’t have the pace to play at this level. Other guys have to spend too much time and energy backing him up. But you are 100% right the entire back line was shaky, not just Ream. 

It feels strange to say the back line is the weakness of a USMNT, but it is by a considerable margin. Dest is superbly talented offensively but leaves a lot to be desired defensively. Robinson is the best on the left side and that’s not a brag. Brooks is a competent central defender but who do we pair with him? If we can find defensive solutions, this team can make real noise as they mature 

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

It feels strange to say the back line is the weakness of a USMNT, but it is by a considerable margin. Dest is superbly talented offensively but leaves a lot to be desired defensively. Robinson is the best on the left side and that’s not a brag. Brooks is a competent central defender but who do we pair with him? If we can find defensive solutions, this team can make real noise as they mature 

Brooks need to be paired with someone that is skilled on the ball in tight spaces with speed and pace. 

McKenzie had a rough game. But can’t give up there just yet.

Eventually Acosta may be okay at left back. Need someone else in the defensive midfield if that’s the case. 

Matchups matter as well. Need to maximize formations based on opponent. 

Reyna and Pulisic are the most polished two way players at this point. Mckennie does a lot of things well but he still has room to improve technically on the ball.

Josh has been mentioned. He’s close to Reyna and Pulisic. Works very hard defensively in club ball on a defensive team where he has little help offensively. Change of scenery will help him up top.

But yes, the back line is a work in progress. 

On 6/7/2021 at 9:52 AM, slufanskip said:

Just some random thoughts

I still don't understand not getting Musah in the game. There absolutely must be something we don't know. 

Tonight during the Costa Rica friendly Twellman did some research and said effective Jan 2021 FIFA changed the rule on Cap tie, in that if a player plays 4 friendlies with the nations ‘A’ team, he is capped tied. He said Musah has meet that criteria. 

20 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Tonight during the Costa Rico friendly Twellman did some research and said effective Jan 2021 FIFA changed the rule on Cap tie, in that if a player plays 4 friendlies with the nations ‘A’ team, he is capped tied. He said Musah has meet that criteria. 

I’m at the 33 min mark right now and he said earlier he was no so he must have researched it during the game. Glad to hear he is

21 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Tonight during the Costa Rico friendly Twellman did some research and said effective Jan 2021 FIFA changed the rule on Cap tie, in that if a player plays 4 friendlies with the nations ‘A’ team, he is capped tied. He said Musah has meet that criteria. 

1 minute ago, slufanskip said:

I’m at the 33 min mark right now and he said earlier he was no so he must have researched it during the game. Glad to hear he is

Musah is not cap tied. The rule did indeed change, but it is not that simple. The provision he is referencing was implemented for another scenario. I will supply a better explanation later when I have a few minutes.

P.S. - Don’t listen to anything Twellman says.