What will we do with final 2 scholarships?

It’s Sunday, and it looks to be a slow day in Billikens country, so I thought I’d start a new thread. What are your guys predictions for how we use our last 2 scholarships? You can be as specific as naming actual players, or just name holes you would like to see filled. I want to emphasize: THIS IS JUST FOR FUN! The vast majority of us are not insiders, so everyone should assume that any prediction is speculation at best. I encourage everyone to be bold, get crazy, unrealistic even. It’s the offseason, what else do we have to talk about, let’s have some fun. P.S. If @Box and Won doesn’t start listing off some elite level names, then this thread will have been a total failure.

10 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Sign a high school player who will be pinned to the end of the bench and whose ability will be  questioned by contrarian MBMs all season.  Roll over the other scholarship and land our best out of state guard since ever.

Said player will be the second coming of Anthony Bonner until he plays and then everyone will question it. 

We need a point guard.

Goodwin graduated and Jacobs transfered.. The only experienced point guard we have on the team is Yuri. Williams is not eligible, Nesbitt is a freshman and I'm not sure its even a good idea to think if him as a point guard.

So, if Williams doesn't get a waiver and Goodwin doesn't come back, we will be in world of hurt if/when Yuri can't play.

ACE likes this

42 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

We need a point guard.

Goodwin graduated and Jacobs transfered.. The only experienced point guard we have on the team is Yuri. Williams is not eligible, Nesbitt is a freshman and I'm not sure its even a good idea to think if him as a point guard.

So, if Williams doesn't get a waiver and Goodwin doesn't come back, we will be in world of hurt if/when Yuri can't play.

Maybe Russell will decommit from SEMO again and join the team as a walk-on?

Never bank a scholarship in today's transfer crazy environment.

Sign a one year eligible backup point guard.  Scholarship is then available for the class of 2022.

Sign the best player available.  A developmental big would be my choice.  

At this point I think the only options are to hang out in case someone too talented to pass up hits the transfer portal (e.g., Jordan Nesbitt) or go with a class of 2021 high schooler who is willing to accept a role in which he doesn't really play much in year 1 (like Phil Russell last year). We already have enough players to fill out our rotation so anyone who we bring in is either going to bump someone out of the rotation or not play much at all.

1 hour ago, Aquinas said:

We need a point guard.

imo nesbit can handle the point for a few minutes per game.   there is more stress from nesbit not being in a scorer's mindset while on the floor than his ability (or not) to handle the ball.   i say we would be fine if we dont sign anyone else this year.

that said, there are a lot of players that want to transfer still out there.   we can find a suitable backup for 5-10 mpg workload and it is way too early to panic if that "need' is indeed desired to be filled by ford.   if come August we still havent gotten a confirmed name of a player or plan (nesbit for example) then we can all start worrying. but as good of a recruiter as ford is, i dont think this will happen.  

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

Sign a one year eligible backup point guard.  Scholarship is then available for the class of 2022.

I think you should always bank at least one for that mid term transfer. I think we might have gotten Fletcher had we a scholarship to offer at the mids. 

I think there is going to be a ton of transfers this summer/early fall... This chaos aint done. There are plenty of talented guys at programs that brought in big transfers that will take their time. Many players won't realize their PT is gone/depleted until they start practicing over the summer and will be gunning to leave. I would hold onto our two until that time.

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

The only reason there's two scholarships open is because there's a one-year rule that allows us not to count Perkins' scholarship.  In reality we have 12 scholarship players.  I've come to accept the annual fascination for who the 13th player will be even though that player rarely plays.  This year we'll have the possibility of another whipping boy, uh, 14th player.  

To each his own.  I shifted my attention to the 2022 class 2 weeks ago.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

The only reason there's two scholarships open is because there's a one-year rule that allows us not to count Perkins' scholarship.  In reality we have 12 scholarship players.  I've come to accept the annual fascination for who the 13th player will be even though that player rarely plays.  This year we'll have the possibility of another whipping boy, uh, 14th player.  

To each his own.  I shifted my attention to the 2022 class 2 weeks ago.

And it seems like the staff shifted its attention to 2022 9 months ago. 

I agree, but I would keep an eye on the transfer market to maybe get a surprise contributor that still hasn't found a landing spot.  My preference would be a big or an almost big (6'5" to 6'7" range).  Right now, if Okoro, Linssen, or Bell go down with an injury and one of the other two gets into foul trouble in a game, we'd be down to one guy to guard inside.  I know Lorentson is tall, but I have no idea if he can guard an inside big man.

45 minutes ago, Scoop said:

Convince our 2 time 1st team, all defensive team, double double machine to come back for a Chaifetz send off.

Let's keep it real.  As long as Goodwin's decision remains a possibility, it it will be difficult to sign anybody except high school players.  The guys sitting in the portal are looking to move to a better situation, not be buried on the bench.

billiken_roy likes this

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

Let's keep it real.  As long as Goodwin's decision remains a possibility, it it will be difficult to sign anybody except high school players.  The guys sitting in the portal are looking to move to a better situation, not be buried on the bench.

Even without Goodwin, it’s hard. Aaron Cook was ready to commit if we had the minutes available for him. We didn’t, and so he’s still in the portal. 

9 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

If goodwin and or french come back do not be surprised if someone transfers out. I think you likely want to leave the last schollys open until the roster shakes out

Makes sense, some may feel they have waited long enough for their opportunity.

for success for the billikens, absolutely i would love to see one or two future billiken hall of famers come back.   

but that said, i still wish they would move on for their own benefit.   i am always fearful of that big injury.   and if that injury happens before they become pro's they may never get another chance.  be it the nba, the developmental league or somewhere overseas.   if they have a chance to play now for money they should take the money and run.    

i've said a million times, the nba draft is all about potential.   the vast majority of the picks are going to be 19 or 20 years old.  both french and goodwin are long past that and most nba gm's will likely see them and think there is little room for improvement, particularly physically.   so if the opportunity is there, go make your money in australia or russia or china etc. guys.  

Old guy, Zink, almaman and 2 others like this