Potential NCAA Rule Changes

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-rule-changes-up-for-debate-six-fouls-quasi-quarters-reducing-timeouts-and-more/

Likely to be recommended

• Laptops, tablets allowed on the bench for coaching purposes only
  • Tweak traveling interpretation to universally allow players to Euro step, use spin moves and step-backs

Unlikely to be recommended

• Widening the lane to 16 feet (currently 12 feet)
  • Award possession to defense after a held-ball
  • Eliminate 10-second backcourt rule
  • Allow offensive team to decline free throws in final two minutes and overtime(s); opt for inbound instead
  • Eliminate five-second closely guarded rule
  • Allow instant replay on shot-clock violation in final two minutes/overtime on a missed shot 
  • Allow instant replay on basket interference/goaltending calls -- but only if/after an official calls the violation 

Potential for two-year NIT trial period

• Two-timeout limit per team with under two minutes in regulation and throughout overtime(s)
  • Eliminate offensive basket interference and use FIBA rule instead: ball is always live after it makes contact with the rim

Big debates await

• Introduce quasi quarters by resetting team fouls at 10-minute mark of each half. Begin double bonus on fifth foul within each 10-minute segment. This eliminates the one-and-one free throw
  • Modified six-foul rule: player is allowed three fouls per half (would be disqualified if they committed four fouls in a half). However, a player can commit two or three first-half fouls and have as many four or three more to use for the remainder of the game, allowing for six total

• HoosierPal changed the title to Potential NCAA Rule Changes

Some interesting stuff.  I thought they had already eliminated that five-second closely guarded rule.  And I wouldn't go for that declining free throws options on offense late.  Sure, it would have helped with Hasahn but I believe a college player should be required to make two uncontested shots from 15 feet or bear the consequences.  As for the big debate items, go for it ----- or not.  I don't have a dog in either fight.  Play by the rules that brung you.  Every game starts with everyone knowing the foul facts ..... it's always the "interpretations" that get you in trouble .... charges, blocks, traveling, hnad checks, physicality.

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-rule-changes-up-for-debate-six-fouls-quasi-quarters-reducing-timeouts-and-more/

Likely to be recommended

• Laptops, tablets allowed on the bench for coaching purposes only -- what is a coaching purpose? 
  • Tweak traveling interpretation to universally allow players to Euro step, use spin moves and step-backs - imo there is too much traveling and not controlling the ball in the game already, this would seem to add to it

Unlikely to be recommended

• Widening the lane to 16 feet (currently 12 feet) - in our case, how this impact rebounding missed ft's?
  • Award possession to defense after a held-ball - I like this better than alternating possession that is currently in place
  • Eliminate 10-second backcourt rule - not a fan of this one, defense is part of the game
  • Allow offensive team to decline free throws in final two minutes and overtime(s); opt for inbound instead - not a fan of this one, the ability to shoot ft's is an integral part of the game
  • Eliminate five-second closely guarded rule - I believe this can only be called now if a player receives a pass in the frontcourt and holds the ball, I would go back to the old 5-second closely guarded rule - defense should be an integral part of the game so why make so many rules in favor of the offense? just for tv ratings?
  • Allow instant replay on shot-clock violation in final two minutes/overtime on a missed shot  - I don't know that there are too many reviews now, but I think too many of them take way too long
  • Allow instant replay on basket interference/goaltending calls -- but only if/after an official calls the violation  - see above

Potential for two-year NIT trial period

• Two-timeout limit per team with under two minutes in regulation and throughout overtime(s) - not a fan of this one, why dictate to a coach when they have to use a timeout? 
  • Eliminate offensive basket interference and use FIBA rule instead: ball is always live after it makes contact with the rim - I don't see a problem with the current rule

Big debates await

• Introduce quasi quarters by resetting team fouls at 10-minute mark of each half. Begin double bonus on fifth foul within each 10-minute segment. This eliminates the one-and-one free throw - not a fan of this one, either, if I want to watch the NBA I will watch the NBA
  • Modified six-foul rule: player is allowed three fouls per half (would be disqualified if they committed four fouls in a half). However, a player can commit two or three first-half fouls and have as many four or three more to use for the remainder of the game, allowing for six total - I don't like this one by itself either, if they want to change other rules to eliminate hand-checking and physical play, then perhaps, but with the current system seems ripe for even more physical play 

4 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Some interesting stuff.  I thought they had already eliminated that five-second closely guarded rule.  And I wouldn't go for that declining free throws options on offense late.  Sure, it would have helped with Hasahn but I believe a college player should be required to make two uncontested shots from 15 feet or bear the consequences.  As for the big debate items, go for it ----- or not.  I don't have a dog in either fight.  Play by the rules that brung you.  Every game starts with everyone knowing the foul facts ..... it's always the "interpretations" that get you in trouble .... charges, blocks, traveling, hnad checks, physicality.

IMO the option to decline FTs has two potentially awful outcomes and no real positives.  Awful outcomes:

1. How long does a coach have to decide if they're going to shoot or take the ball out?  I could see delays while coaches assess time, score & shooters FT ability that will absolutely kill the flow of the game.

2. How many times are you allowed to take it out?  It doesn't seem like this really disincentives a team from fouling a poor FT shooter.  A team is more likely to get a turnover on a 5 second call or an errant inbound pass than in the run of play.  Additionally during the normal run of play a winning team can run 30 seconds or the clock and potentially score.  Therefore, you just keep fouling the bad FT shooter over and over rather and forcing the team to attempt an inbounds pass over and over.  I'm not really keen on watching a team try to inbound the ball over and over again during the minutes of a game.  I guess eventually you run out of fouls to give, but it seems like with very little time left in a game that wouldn't necessarily be an issue.

25 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

IMO the option to decline FTs has two potentially awful outcomes and no real positives.  Awful outcomes:

1. How long does a coach have to decide if they're going to shoot or take the ball out?  I could see delays while coaches assess time, score & shooters FT ability that will absolutely kill the flow of the game.

2. How many times are you allowed to take it out?  It doesn't seem like this really disincentives a team from fouling a poor FT shooter.  A team is more likely to get a turnover on a 5 second call or an errant inbound pass than in the run of play.  Additionally during the normal run of play a winning team can run 30 seconds or the clock and potentially score.  Therefore, you just keep fouling the bad FT shooter over and over rather and forcing the team to attempt an inbounds pass over and over.  I'm not really keen on watching a team try to inbound the ball over and over again during the minutes of a game.  I guess eventually you run out of fouls to give, but it seems like with very little time left in a game that wouldn't necessarily be an issue.

it would continue to put players further into foul trouble, but all in all i agree with your above comments.

54 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Not voting up or down, but it would speed the game up.  Line the players up, toss the ball to the shooter, 10 seconds to shoot, slap hands with all players, refs, cheerleaders, vendors, and then repeat.  What's it take to shoot two free throws.....45 seconds. 

An inbounds can be done in 10-15.  Multiply by 4 to 10 extra fouls, we get to leave Chaifetz earlier than the normal early departure.

9 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I'm like you on the 5 second rule. I think when they lowered the shot clock to 30, they got rid of the 5 second close guarding rule. I noticed a few years ago, at a women's game, that the ref was doing that arm count again. And then I looked for it at the next men's game and sure enough, it was back. I'm almost positive it HAD been eliminated but it came back. (And too damned lazy to try and look it up.)

As for the rest of it, I wish they'd leave the damn game alone. I'm about done with MLB and now college hoops is trying to piss me off too.

Billiken Rich likes this

I don't know ..... when you are down late in the game, the strategy always involves stopping the clock and lengthening the game.  You score 'free' points from the line as the clock is stopped and if the other team can't shoot obvious fouls (French) you have a chance to close the gap, maybe even win.  Or you jack threes and trade three points for two, one or none.   Or you force the coach to counter your move with a replacement player for his liability (Linssen/Bell for French).  No -- don't like it.

20 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Not voting up or down, but it would speed the game up.  Line the players up, toss the ball to the shooter, 10 seconds to shoot, slap hands with all players, refs, cheerleaders, vendors, and then repeat.  What's it take to shoot two free throws.....45 seconds. 

An inbounds can be done in 10-15.  Multiply by 4 to 10 extra fouls, we get to leave Chaifetz earlier than the normal early departure.

I don't feel like it speeds up the game. Team is up 3 with the ball and 30 seconds left. They inbound and defense immediately tries to steal the ball while hacking. 3 seconds off the clock. Coach declines on the fts. We do another inbounds play and defense tries to steal the ball and hacks. Coach declines. Rinse wash and repeat until 10 such plays have occurred or a steal finally occurs. The only time the clock really runs in end-of-game scenarios is when the trailing team has the ball and is trying to get a shot off.

At first glance I hated the idea partly because of the scenario above but also I could see defenses getting crazy aggressive trying to steal the ball because they thought the offense would decline on the fts. And that potential does exist, but at the end of the day its the offense's choice so I think if a good ft shooter is fouled they'll just take the fts and the declining would really only happen when guys like French are fouled. So I think I'm now in favor of it.

BilliesBy40 likes this

On 5/5/2021 at 7:49 PM, White Pelican said:

I'm like you on the 5 second rule. I think when they lowered the shot clock to 30, they got rid of the 5 second close guarding rule. I noticed a few years ago, at a women's game, that the ref was doing that arm count again. And then I looked for it at the next men's game and sure enough, it was back. I'm almost positive it HAD been eliminated but it came back. (And too damned lazy to try and look it up.)

As for the rest of it, I wish they'd leave the damn game alone. I'm about done with MLB and now college hoops is trying to piss me off too.

I can’t recall seeing that called by a ref in the last 10 years.

8 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

I can’t recall seeing that called by a ref in the last 10 years.

You may not be watching enough games - just kidding.  I have seen it called once in a while only because it is hard to cover a man for 5 seconds that closely.  I did see it called this year in Billiken games at least a couple of times.

On 5/5/2021 at 8:49 PM, White Pelican said:

The 5 second closely guarded rule only applies to a player “holding” the ball. They changed the rule in 2016 to eliminate the 5 second count when a player is dribbling. 

On 5/7/2021 at 11:32 AM, billikenbill said:

The 5 second closely guarded rule only applies to a player “holding” the ball. They changed the rule in 2016 to eliminate the 5 second count when a player is dribbling. 

Thanks for the clarification. I know I saw it called at least twice while watching Tourney games in March. I didn't know it was only for a player holding the ball.

And this is just me. The offense already has a time deadline to shoot the ball. I think the 5 second thing is unnecessary and is just piling on. It wouldn't bother me a bit if they got rid of it.