Midtown Madness: Episode 10 featuring Mr. Soccer St. Louis Bill McDermott

• Bill McDermott joins the show to talk about SLU Women's Soccer PK loss to Washington in the NCAA tournament and the programs outlook going forward. We also talk about Men's soccer and their outlook going into a shortened offseason.
  • Men's Basketball Talk: Jordan Goodwin hires an NCAA certified agent, St. Louis native Aaron Cook hits the transfer portal and receives offer from SLU.

View the full article

Pistol likes this

It was awesome to catch up with Bill McDermott! He's one of the gems this city has to offer and his knowledge and passion of Soccer and SLU soccer is unmatched. Please give the interview a listen if you haven't yet. I don't want to pat ourselves on the back but the basketball discussion is some of the best back and forth Peter and I have had since we joined forces so it's worth a listen for that if you aren't keen on soccer.

The McDermott interview was great, I really enjoyed it (especially as someone who isn't plugged into SLU soccer as often as many of the more die-hard fans). The pod has proven to be a great way for me to keep up with the non-basketball sports. You and Peter are doing a great job; the production quality and your ability to have a natural conversation is impressive for such a relatively new podcast.

I have to add though that I disagreed with a lot of the Jordan Goodwin discussion. I think at one point Zac compared him to Yadier Molina or some of the older Blues players which didn't really make sense to me since Jordan Goodwin is not an aging player; he's still getting better and his return would immediately elevate the ceiling of our team. The Cardinals wouldn't have let go of prime, all-star Yadier Molina just because they thought it was time for a fresh catcher behind the plate. And if it's time to move on from Goodwin, I don't really follow why you guys seemed to be keen on Aaron Cook, who would basically present the same issues as Goodwin in terms of taking time away from our other guards. But even though I have a different opinion on those topics it's always good to hear well informed Bills fans talk about the team and I'm grateful for the offseason content.

44 minutes ago, NH said:

The McDermott interview was great, I really enjoyed it (especially as someone who isn't plugged into SLU soccer as often as many of the more die-hard fans). The pod has proven to be a great way for me to keep up with the non-basketball sports. You and Peter are doing a great job; the production quality and your ability to have a natural conversation is impressive for such a relatively new podcast.

I have to add though that I disagreed with a lot of the Jordan Goodwin discussion. I think at one point Zac compared him to Yadier Molina or some of the older Blues players which didn't really make sense to me since Jordan Goodwin is not an aging player; he's still getting better and his return would immediately elevate the ceiling of our team. The Cardinals wouldn't have let go of prime, all-star Yadier Molina just because they thought it was time for a fresh catcher behind the plate. And if it's time to move on from Goodwin, I don't really follow why you guys seemed to be keen on Aaron Cook, who would basically present the same issues as Goodwin in terms of taking time away from our other guards. But even though I have a different opinion on those topics it's always good to hear well informed Bills fans talk about the team and I'm grateful for the offseason content.

Thank you for the feedback!

Just a response to your note on the Goodwin/Yadier comparison. I think it was less about age and more about moving on in terms of style of play and start to let these younger guys reach for a bigger role on the court and in the locker room. It was about having the decision of whether or not to bring a veteran player back or not, which is a decision that college coaches have never had like this year. But I totally agree with you on the aging part and Goodwin in his prime and like I said, I'd love to have Goodwin back if he's open to playing an undersized 4 role. I really have no interest in watching Goodwin on the ball or at the two taking shots outside of 6 feet from the rim next year and it may be a dumb opinion but it's mine and I'M STICKING TO IT!

dennis_w, NH and willie like this

5 hours ago, NH said:

Yeah, Cook is almost a year older than Goodwin and not nearly as good. 

29 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Yeah, Cook is almost a year older than Goodwin and not nearly as good. 

Cook’s also not going to be playing 35 minutes a game. I doubt he’s taking any more minutes away from our other guards than any other non-big transfer would. We still have 2 more open scholarships. I know this question probably belongs in a different thread, so feel free to give me a thorough tongue lashing, but any body gave any guesses for how we fill those? Bizarre, unrealistic, ridiculous guesses are welcome.

Cook would play more than 13.5 MPG like he did at Gonzaga but nowhere near Goodwin's 30+ MPG. I don't think either of us think he's a Goodwin replacement. I also think if Goodwin returns, he couldn't play the same role. The backcourt has changed so much in the past several weeks. I would never push him out the door to move on if he could and would return. I also like the idea of him as an elder statesman playing 20+ MPG as a forward, veteran leader, and energy guy - which very well might not be the best move for a guy looking to play professionally in the next year-plus. Who knows. That's why I floated the idea of him playing somewhere else if he returns to college ball.

This conversation was the two of us kicking around some ideas without any notes or outline. Appreciate the feedback, and keep in mind we both read and post here regularly, and incorporate ideas and narratives happening here (giving credit when we remember).

NH and billikenfan05 like this