Jordan Goodwin to Go Pro

34 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Guys routinely improve their shooting at the NBA level.  When basketball becomes your sole focus and you have to shoot well to keep getting paid, there is both time and motivation to get better.  I don't think that is somehow damning of our coaching staff's ability to improve Goodwin's shot.  Goodwin actually did improve his 3pt % each year at SLU.  Fr - 23.5%, So - 26.3%, Jr - 28.2%, Sr - 31.4%.

Also, shooting well in a workout is different than shooting well in a game.

RUBillsFan likes this

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the current NBA Top 100 Players in the draft article, Goodwin comes in at ........ nowhere.   There are 30 teams, two rounds, sixty picks.  The top three are Cunningham (Okie State), Mobley (USC) and Green (G League).  

From the A10, Bones Hyland is the only player and he comes in at #30.  

Of guys we've played against, Cam Thomas (LSU) starts it off at #36.  Then Trendon Watford (LSU) comes in at #64.  Sandro Mamukelashvili (Seton Hall) is #68.  Dacvid Duke (Providence) is #84.  DJ Stewart Jr. (Mississippi State) is #88.  DeJon Jarreau (Houston via Umass) is #89.  And Javonte Smart (LSU) is #96.  

In the Top 100, the floowing schools have players listed.  Many I've never heard of:  Ohio University,  Pepperdine, Loyola (MD),  UNC Greensboro, and Boise State.

I am rooting for Goodwin.  Just don't see it.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

In the current NBA Top 100 Players in the draft article, Goodwin comes in at ........ nowhere.   There are 30 teams, two rounds, sixty picks.  The top three are Cunningham (Okie State), Mobley (USC) and Green (G League).  

Of guys we've played against, Cam Thomas (LSU) starts it off at #36.  Then Trendon Watford (LSU) comes in at #64.  Sandro Mamukelashvili (Seton Hall) is #68.  Dacvid Duke (Providence) is #84.  DJ Stewart Jr. (Mississippi State) is #88.  DeJon Jarreau (Houston via Umass) is #89.  And Javonte Smart (LSU) is #96.  

In the Top 100, the floowing schools have players listed.  Many I've never heard of:  Ohio University,  Pepperdine, Loyola (MD),  UNC Greensboro, and Boise State.

I agree. 60 picks pretty small #. Even if they were all used on D-1 players. Then factor in non USA folks. We &  the A-10 have had many players who had just as good a chance to be NBA who didn't. Again of course I'd luv to be  road tripping to catch JGood but I'm stilll not seeing it as a realistic result.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

I noticed the same thing. I would love to see a juxtaposition of the number drafted in the past, but not listed. There won’t be one though. Instead, I am pinning my hopes on the fact that that list was made by a 23 year old intern, and not anyone with any drafting or scouting responsibilities.

I think Goodwin’s hopes really rely on some common sense. His level of rebounding as a guard is an outlier. His point guard experience is kind of an outlier. His wingspan is an outlier. The NBA draft loves outliers. You can go three deep at every guard position with a guy that scored 16 points and shot a high 3 pt percentage, but you won’t get a competitive advantage against your opponent. My guess is that the back room numbers guys like him.

BuiltFordBills likes this

Goodwin is almost certainly a top 100 prospect at this point. He wouldn’t have had so many workouts with teams if there were 100 guys (40 of whom will be undrafted) ahead of him. Whether he gets drafted? I have a hard time seeing it, but it’s not impossible. 

NBA criteria regarding role players comes and goes in phases based on whatever the latest fad in the league is. A couple years ago it was all wings who can defend and make corner 3s. Then it was athletes who could switch 1-4 on defense. Lately it’s been tough “bully ball” guards and wings who can defend ball handlers and are adept at cutting off the ball. It’s not crazy to think that Jordan is coming into the league at just the right time for this latest fad. 

Old guy likes this

While fully agreeing that I know nothing about the NBA draft per se, I know a fair amount about Harvard Admissions. Harvard has more than enough applicants with the highest SAT score possible. They will get some of those for sure, particularly if they fit other criteria. What they are looking for is "outliers" to give variety to the mix. If someone excels at playing the oboe and his scores are not at the very top, this person may be admitted (particularly true if the marching band oboe player is graduating).

I agree with NH, Goodwin makes a good case for being an outlier in terms of his abilities, he has tested for a significant number of teams, and he has something to add to the mix that is not commonly available. I think he may make the 2nd draft somewhere. If I had to bet I would Say San Antonio.

No, Goodwin is certainly not interested in Harvard or plays the oboe. What I was doing is comparing a selection process taking place at an institution that has all kinds of applicants with top credentials with the NBA. The NBA also has the top talent in basketball lined up for the draft.  How do the teams choose who to draft? The top 30 will be taken in most likely, then comes the problem with everyone else being more of the same, some a bit better in some areas, some in other areas. For the second draft, SOME of the teams may be looking for someone who is good but not at the very top, but someone that can bring in something different and fits well into the team.

The draft, or admissions to a top school, are not simply a matter of statistics, it is at some point a matter of giving an edge to your team or your school. If Goodwin is seen as capable of giving an edge to a team he may well be chosen. It is not a matter of saying Goodwin will not make it because he is not top 60. For all we know any number of the draft candidates between top 30 ranking and top 60 ranking will not make it in either draft, or they may even refuse to accept a second draft offer. The empty slots from unaccepted offers will be filled with someone else, that is for sure. Who will be chosen to the NBA? no idea. Does Goodwin have a chance, I think he does.

I have absolutely zero doubt that our coaches talked to him about arc. It’s simple physics that a flat shot gives you less margin for error than a higher arcing shot. It’s impossible that the coaches didn’t notice how flat JGood’s shot was (think about all the times he would stand at the free throw line and throw up a line drive that would bounce straight off of the back heel of the rim). I don’t think this has anything to do with our coaches not doing their jobs. Sometimes, you just need a fresh set of eyes and a new voice to get it to finally sink in. Somebody already said his shooting numbers went up every year. Maybe he just found a little tweak in his mechanics that finally got it to click. Happens all the time. Doesn’t mean Ford and Co. are bad coaches. 

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

17 hours ago, dennis_w said:

goodwin had a couple of noticeable hitches in his free throws, i am sure if i could see it so could the coaches, sometimes players just do not listen

I’m sure it was noticed and worked on but it’s much easier for fix a mechanics problem when you are working on it 8 hours a day 6 days a week. 

3star_recruit likes this

25 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I’m sure it was noticed and worked on but it’s much easier for fix a mechanics problem when you are working on it 8 hours a day 6 days a week. 

Excellent point.  And we've yet to see any results of this improved form in games.  In the games at the Tampa Bay Pro Combine last month, Goodwin shot 25% from three.