Jordan Goodwin to Go Pro

Per this morning on Verbal Commits.  I don't know how that shapes up vis-a-vis this weekend's tweet about him signign with an agency.  That Tweet said he coudl come back; VC says he is definitely gone.  

Clarifications certainly welcome.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we can probably take this thread down since we know Goodwin still is open to the option of returning. Verbal Commits is not a news source, they are simply aggregating the news from this weekend that Goodwin signed with an agency and missing the part about it allowing him the option to return.

18 minutes ago, NH said:

I think we can probably take this thread down since we know Goodwin still is open to the option of returning. Verbal Commits is not a news source, they are simply aggregating the news from this weekend that Goodwin signed with an agency and missing the part about it allowing him the option to return.

Yes.  Stu posted two days ago that he had hired a Certified Agent, meaning he can come back to SLU if he wants to.

I understand both your posts.  I know what Stu said and I noted that HOWEVER I will admit that I am certainly confused regarding a "certified" agent.  I guess the opposite of that is signing with an UNcertifed agent which would then automatically forego your return, yes?  Like Bones Hyland did?  Seems somewhat odd to me.  That's also why I asked for clarification.  

I will also admit that I have never heard of certified versus uncertified before.  It seems it was always "so-and-so signed with an agent and will forego his remaining eligibility."  This is a new one to me and that may just be on me.  But I do see the definition of such on the web.  Still, odd.

Mods can take this down if they so desire.

18 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I understand both your posts.  I know what Stu said and I noted that HOWEVER I will admit that I am certainly confused regarding a "certified" agent.  I guess the opposite of that is signing with an UNcertifed agent which would then automatically forego your return, yes?  Like Bones Hyland did?  Seems somewhat odd to me.  That's also why I asked for clarification.  

I will also admit that I have never heard of certified versus uncertified before.  It seems it was always "so-and-so signed with an agent and will forego his remaining eligibility."  This is a new one to me and that may just be on me.  But I do see the definition of such on the web.  Still, odd.

Mods can take this down if they so desire.

In 2019 the NCAA implemented a new rule which basically allowed players to declare for the draft and sign with an agent but still maintain college eligibility as long as the agent came from an NCAA-approved list. I don't know specifically what agency Bones signed with so I can't confirm whether or not he has the option to return, but I believe he made it clear in his post announcing his departure that he was not considering a return. Here is the list of NCAA certified agents: https://web3.ncaa.org/AgentCertification/#/AgentDirectory

It used to be that if you signed with an agent you couldn't return to college. Now, if you sign with an agent but it's approved by the NCAA you still have the option to return. Almost all of the big agencies are not NCAA approved, so it's rare to see a top draft pick sign with an NCAA-approved agent. Jordan Goodwin signed with an NCAA-approved agent, presumably because he wants to keep the option of returning open. I said the thread can be taken down because it has a misleading headline and could lead posters to think that Jordan Goodwin has decided to go pro, which is not factually accurate (though I'm confident you did not mean for it to be misleading). 

BilliesBy40 likes this

I am glad that there is a thread on this as I saw the twitter post and too was confused.  

This seems like a subject worth tracking closely.  Goodwin being intentional to sign with an agent that allows him to return seems like a big deal to me.  

The thinking is probably to test the waters to see what his pro prospects are before deciding.  If Goodwin's ultimate goal is still the NBA, I put the chances at greater than 50% of him returning to SLU.  

One more year to return with a packed Chaifetz, break every SLU record there is, and then in April 2022, he will be in the same spot or improved positioning for his pro prospects.  The only reason I see leaving is if making 100k is a big deal financially.  I have zero awareness of the Goodwin family's  financial status or the urgency to cash a paycheck 

SLU is a much better showcase for him to improve stock in my opinion.  As soon as he starts overseas or in the G-league then it is a foregone conclusion that his NBA prospects are next to zilch.  He is a lesser prospect to Bess in my opinion and I was disappointed to not see Bess stick on the end of an NBA bench somewhere.  Goodwin still has a lot to prove and SLU is the best place to do it.  

My prediction.  He's coming back.  Book it.

bauman, Zink and stmdragons like this

3 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

I am glad that there is a thread on this as I saw the twitter post and too was confused.  

This seems like a subject worth tracking closely.  Goodwin being intentional to sign with an agent that allows him to return seems like a big deal to me.  

The thinking is probably to test the waters to see what his pro prospects are before deciding.  If Goodwin's ultimate goal is still the NBA, I put the chances at greater than 50% of him returning to SLU.  

One more year to return with a packed Chaifetz, break every SLU record there is, and then in April 2022, he will be in the same spot or improved positioning for his pro prospects.  The only reason I see leaving is if making 100k is a big deal financially.  I have zero awareness of the Goodwin family's  financial status or the urgency to cash a paycheck 

SLU is a much better showcase for him to improve stock in my opinion.  As soon as he starts overseas or in the G-league then it is a foregone conclusion that his NBA prospects are next to zilch.  He is a lesser prospect to Bess in my opinion and I was disappointed to not see Bess stick on the end of an NBA bench somewhere.  Goodwin still has a lot to prove and SLU is the best place to do it.  

My prediction.  He's coming back.  Book it.

Jordan will do what  is best for Jordan, and I support whatever decision he makes.  He has been talking with the NBA scouts and with Coach Ford and will make the decision that is best for him.

Here are some other pieces of information I am sure he is already aware of.

There are 60 players drafted by NBA teams each season.  All first rounders get guaranteed contracts, and now most second rounders now get some money, perhaps just for one year.  Europe pays well.  To date, 23 players have been called up from the G League to the NBA. Some are on 10 day contracts, some are on two way deals.  So you are not buried if you are sent to the G League. 

The average age of an NBA rookie is around 20 years old.  Assuming Jordan was 18 when he entered SLU (or shortly thereafter turned 18), he would be nearing 22 now and nearing 23 a year from now.  That is old by NBA standards.  The average NBA career is 4.5 years. 

@NH and Hoosier ---- just to once again demonstrate my stupidity, today, Verbal Commits announced Jalen Crutcher's decision to move on from Dayton.  The verbiage used to announce that was exactly the same as the verbiage used for Jordan Goodwin.  So I can't trust Verbal Commits then?  But I can trust Stu, who many on this board take to the woodshed so many times when he starts waxing poetically about potential Billiken moves.  I'M SO CONFUSED!!!

3 hours ago, Taj79 said:

@NH and Hoosier ---- just to once again demonstrate my stupidity, today, Verbal Commits announced Jalen Crutcher's decision to move on from Dayton.  The verbiage used to announce that was exactly the same as the verbiage used for Jordan Goodwin.  So I can't trust Verbal Commits then?  But I can trust Stu, who many on this board take to the woodshed so many times when he starts waxing poetically about potential Billiken moves.  I'M SO CONFUSED!!!

Trust, but verify.  Each player on Verbal Commits has a social media section.  That's where you'll find multiple confirmations from external sources that Crutcher is moving on. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Now, that is good news for Goodwin, he is getting traction and interest from the NBA. This is what he always wanted and worked hard for. I wish him the best of luck and a decent offer from the NBA.

I think your getting a little excited about his prospects. Hopefully he will get an invite to a summer team. At his size and skill level I think he is a very long shot. Hopefully I am wrong. 

1 hour ago, Brighton said:

Anyone but Denver. I don't want to have to root for him while he plays for a Kroenke owned team.

He has been in NC working with his agent for the last 2 weeks, that was sort of writing on the wall for me.

french on the other hand has been in stl the past week. Could be bc of coach stuen, but who knows. 

37 minutes ago, willie said:

I think your getting a little excited about his prospects. Hopefully he will get an invite to a summer team. At his size and skill level I think he is a very long shot. Hopefully I am wrong. 

I have to think his average the last two years of around 15 points and 10 rebounds are noticed by the Association. Kawhi Leonard had similar averages. I am not saying that Goodwin is that good, but even if he is a poor man’s KL, then he certainly is worth a second round runner.

I think Goodwin will be someone’s late pick.

8 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I have to think his average the last two years of around 15 points and 10 rebounds are noticed by the Association. Kawhi Leonard had similar averages. I am not saying that Goodwin is that good, but even if he is a poor man’s KL, then he certainly is worth a second round runner.

Hope you are right but as I stated earlier size is a problem. 

53 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

The difference is Kawhi Leonard is 6’7”

Unfortunately being 6’3” is going to make it harder on Goodwin.

i think good win is 3 inches too short for his skills.   a step slow and obviously he has not shown a consistent outside shot for his size to be a good nba guard.   i believe he might get a chance on a summer roster, but the chances past that are likely not good.   i will be surprised if he doesnt jet over seas for his real opportunity.   as willie says, "hope i am wrong".  think of him compared to bess.   bess bigger, bess a better shooter.  he didnt make it.

• 2 weeks later...

Wished we had seen a little more of that quick jumper from JGood. Not a knock, just saying it was rare that we saw him take 3's off a fast break. Excited to hear he's having a good showing. The NBA could use a few more Smart types.