Any New England Billikens?

34 minutes ago, Deutschkind said:

Anyone living up in New England? My wife and I are moving from Cincinnati to Nashua, NH this summer and I'm starting to feel like I'll be a lonely outpost up in the corner of the country

I have family up there but if they were fans of any a-10 team it would definitely not be the Billikens.

6 hours ago, Deutschkind said:

Anyone living up in New England? My wife and I are moving from Cincinnati to Nashua, NH this summer and I'm starting to feel like I'll be a lonely outpost up in the corner of the country

I grew up in Maine. If you're looking for a Billiken or SLU Alumni club, good luck. Years ago there was a small one in Boston, which is not far from Nashua, but I don't know about today. Some tips: Never wear a Yankee hat. Eat some full bellied fried clams, yummy. Drop your midwestern r's; eg Car becomes Cah. Never go to a Starbucks if there's a Dunkin Donuts nearby (really SB's coffee doesn't hold a candle to DD's). Buy a snow blower. Learn to ski. Get on LL Bean's catalogue list.  If you go to the beach, your first dip in the ocean will feel like you've joined the polar bear club. Hockey rules the winter sports scene and Pro sports rule over college sports. Increase your car insurance coverage. You can afford it because NH is pretty much tax free. Booze is really cheap w/o the state tax. If you're a republican, keep it to yourself. If someone calls you wicked you're good to go. If someone calls you a Dink, run, it's not a term of endearment. You'll love the fall season, although, it lasts only about 3 weeks before Old Man winter comes roaring down from Canada (hence the snow blower purchase). Enjoy your move. It really is a very nice part of the country. 

8 hours ago, Deutschkind said:

There is a SLU alumni club in Boston. Have no idea how active. But here's the link. Click on Boston and all of the contact info is there.

https://www.slu.edu/alumni-and-donors/alumni/clubs-organizations/club-cities.php

1 hour ago, majerus mojo said:

My folks live outside of Portsmouth, NH, and my wife and I may also be relocating at some point. I'll send over a DM to remind me to reach out should that happen. Would love to catch a game in Amhurst. Fair primer from @slu72

My best friend from HS lives in Fremont. Very near Portsmouth. 

47 minutes ago, slu72 said:

My best friend from HS lives in Fremont. Very near Portsmouth. 

back then was there a high school and a grade school?  thought schools were all one room. 

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

@slu72 

- No chance I'd wear a Yankees hat, but my wife grew up there as a Yankees fan (because her dad is from NYC)

- My wife talks about LL Bean all the time already

- As for politics, NH is somewhat more mixed than Mass, Maine or Vermont. They have a Republican governor right now

As Slu72 said for everyone else: Consider joining me as there is no income or sales tax in New Hampshire

1 hour ago, Deutschkind said:

@slu72 

- No chance I'd wear a Yankees hat, but my wife grew up there as a Yankees fan (because her dad is from NYC)

- As for politics, NH is somewhat more mixed than Mass, Maine or Vermont. They have a Republican governor right now

As Slu72 said for everyone else: Consider joining me as there is no income or sales tax in New Hampshire

I didn't say you couldn't be, just don't admit to it. Keep it under your Red Sox hat so to say. 

2 hours ago, Deutschkind said:

@slu72 

It's cool how they have the word "DIE" on their license plates.

2 hours ago, Deutschkind said:

@slu72 

Beware of labels Deutschkind, what is called a Republican in NH or MA qualifies, in my experience, as a most liberal Democrat in Norman OK. People are very structured in New England in terms of what Church they go to, the kind of work they do, or their ethnical  background (Irish, Italian, etc). NH and VT have large numbers of French Canadian origin people  who tend to stick with their own. You must realize that you do not belong or are wanted in certain social circles. New England is not an easy place to move to. You can live in a town for years before people start acting like you belong there, or say hello to you. You may live in a town for years and then realize that all of your local friends or acquaintances are Catholic, or what have you. You may know the protestants or the Jewish people in town but generally they will keep their social life inside their own community. Religion is a very important classifier/segregator in New England towns.

Lake Winnipesaukee, is a most beautiful lake about 80 mi. N of Nashua. This lake is the summer vacation place for the Hells Angels, who travel there in thick clumps of bikers. Know where you are going to go for vacation and who tends to congregate there before you go.

The accent of "Cah (what you drive), beah (the stuff you drink), or Hahvahd Yadh," is alive and well but is not widely spread. People in certain areas like Charlestown MA speak  like that. Those that speak that way do not like it when other people consider their accent cute or funny, be warned of this.

I lived in the Boston area 24 years and know New England reasonably well. When you get a house and move in, check your neighbors and  find out who they use to plow their driveways in winter. Generally the guys that plow will do your lawn in summer. Make sure you have someone do this. I remember winters when the plow could not plow  the driveway any longer and the guy would come in with a front loader and get the pile of snow (mostly ice by then) and move it 6 or 8 feet into the yard so he could start plowing again after the next snow storm. It helps when you get a house with a driveway facing South, that way whenever there are there are sunny days they help melt the residual ice from the driveway. Driveways facing North tend to accumulate long lasting ice in the winter, be careful. After a particularly snowy winter you may still have small piles of ice on top of your lawn, at the end of the  driveway, by late June.

New England is not the Midwest.

11 minutes ago, Bill03 said:

I spend the summers in Rockport Maine. Just around the corner. Class of 70!

Bill03, I know Rockport well and will be in Rockland mid July thru Mid August. Did you mean SLU class of 70, or Rockport HS? Was Rockport still it's own high school in 70 or had they combined with Camden by then? Rockport's a great little place. Home to Andre! PM me and we can arrange to get together for a beer or two this summer.