Nesbitt!

BJK

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Shot foot forward. The main thing for me is that the elbow points to the center of the rim. For most players it's easier to get there with the shot foot forward. For many it also helps to rotate slightly to the off hand side. Especially people with broad shoulders. Pulling that elbow in can feel stretched and unnatural. You can see he turns slightly left. What I like is he was consistent. He hit his shot pocket and didn't just push up through it and had a quick release. His hands finish great. His trajectory is perfect. 

It's just 4 shots and you could probably sit in front and nit pick but imo there is a lot to like in that shot. At least those 4

This is a fantastic description, Skip. It’s usually pretty easy to tell when your elbow is flying open (the chicken wing), because the shot will be more flat, more like shot put (pushing through it like Skip said). If you have an easy, repeatable stroke with a quick release, not only are you more likely to be a really good shooter, but it’s easier (and faster) to fix mechanical mistakes. You miss a few shots in a row, you can go back and say, “Ok, what am I doing wrong? My shots have been flat, I’m pushing it. Gotta bring my elbow in.” Or...”I’m leaving everything short. I might not be following through.”  Whereas, if you have a hideous jumper like Lonzo Ball, I imagine it’s a lot harder to fix the mechanics.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Reinert310 said:

This is a fantastic description, Skip. It’s usually pretty easy to tell when your elbow is flying open (the chicken wing), because the shot will be more flat, more like shot put (pushing through it like Skip said). If you have an easy, repeatable stroke with a quick release, not only are you more likely to be a really good shooter, but it’s easier (and faster) to fix mechanical mistakes. You miss a few shots in a row, you can go back and say, “Ok, what am I doing wrong? My shots have been flat, I’m pushing it. Gotta bring my elbow in.” Or...”I’m leaving everything short. I might not be following through.”  Whereas, if you have a hideous jumper like Lonzo Ball, I imagine it’s a lot harder to fix the mechanics.

Lonzo changed his shot.   Shooting .378 from 3 this year.  37% last year

2 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Lonzo changed his shot.   Shooting .378 from 3 this year.  37% last year

I’m not a big NBA guy. Good for him for changing it, because it was ugly.

If there is anything of value here, this brief discussion shows clearly is how easy it is to get data that is correct (.378%) in the right context compare it to another piece of data (.370%) that is also correct in the right context, and come up with the wrong conclusion that improvement has been minuscule. There is no apparent error here, however when you use the separate years' results you can see improvement. Statistics can be interpreted incorrectly, this is something that can happen often.

On 5/11/2021 at 7:27 PM, Reinert310 said:

I’m not a big NBA guy. Good for him for changing it, because it was ugly.

Yeah.  There's someone on the staff with the Pelicans that has worked with him these last two years.  Can't remember his name at the moment.

when Justin love was on the Suns summer roster after graduating from SLU, his father told me about the level of shot coaching Justin was getting and it was amazing.   If I remember correctly, Justin was a pretty decent shooter while at SLU but his father detailed how much better he got with those few months of individual work while working with the Suns shooting coach.   

So it doesnt surprise me that any of the pro's greatly improve their shot.   

BilliesBy40 likes this

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

If there is anything of value here, this brief discussion shows clearly is how easy it is to get data that is correct (.378%) in the right context compare it to another piece of data (.370%) that is also correct in the right context.

Wow. If that data is indeed correct, that means he was making about 1 in 300 3-pointers.

4 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Good for Nesbitt. Moves on, but still keeps relationships. That is an important trait in life.

so sounds like those early rumors of his being an issue to the team are shot down

35 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Can someone translate for us old farts? 

Jordan says “dis da real me”. He is saying, hey world, this is who I am am. He also texts a person by the name of “penny”, which is assumed by many to be Anfernee Hardaway, who went by the pseudo name ‘Penny’. Pseudo names are another way of saying nickname. In this text he tells ‘penny’ ‘Yk dat’, it is unclear from the small context what exactly is being said, however, we can deduce that he is using two letters that do not make a word. Therefore, we can reasonably guess that this is an acronym for two words which begin with Y and K. My thinking is that this means “you know”. ‘Dat ’ is commonly used in place of the word ‘that’ for a specific emphasis. Such as trying to show that you were intentionally trying to speak with a certain amount of disregard. This is commonly done to gain acceptance amongst friends or other crowds that might have a general disregard, or a general feeling of exhaustion, for using a preset or structured grammar. Therefore, it likely says “you know that”. The 100% symbol means just that, 100%, and shows that statistically his statement is undeniable in his opinion. It is the writer’s way to show authenticity.

So, yeah, blue font. I have a whole lot more of this if you want it... in short though, Nesbitt makes a nice gesture. Outside of that, it has no meaning.

17 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Jordan says “dis da real me”. He is saying, hey world, this is who I am am. He also texts a person by the name of “penny”, which is assumed by many to be Anfernee Hardaway, who went by the pseudo name ‘Penny’. Pseudo names are another way of saying nickname. In this text he tells ‘penny’ ‘Yk dat’, it is unclear from the small context what exactly is being said, however, we can deduce that he is using two letters that do not make a word. Therefore, we can reasonably guess that this is an acronym for two words which begin with Y and K. My thinking is that this means “you know”. ‘Dat ’ is commonly used in place of the word ‘that’ for a specific emphasis. Such as trying to show that you were intentionally trying to speak with a certain amount of disregard. This is commonly done to gain acceptance amongst friends or other crowds that might have a general disregard, or a general feeling of exhaustion, for using a preset or structured grammar. Therefore, it likely says “you know that”. The 100% symbol means just that, 100%, and shows that statistically his statement is undeniable in his opinion. It is the writer’s way to show authenticity.

So, yeah, blue font. I have a whole lot more of this if you want it... in short though, Nesbitt makes a nice gesture. Outside of that, it has no meaning.

I clicked on the post on Bills.com but didn't realize I had to click again on the twitter page to open it up. I wasn't seeing anything but what the post here showed. No Penny reference at all. Thank You

15 hours ago, Bilzz said:

Happy for him. Perhaps the pregnancy is why Nesbitt felt like he needed to come back home and all the rumors of being an issue in the locker room were overblown.

Yep. It is a good example why fans should avoid speculation. Having a kid at any age is hard, but I hope being closer to his support system (and TEAM BLUE!) will make it easier for Jordan and the baby’s mother.

Compton and slufanskip like this