Nesbitt!

BJK

4 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Here’s a video that analyzes and grades Nesbitt’s skillset. The guy who recorded this seems to be pretty high on him.

Nesbitt passes Carteare Gordon and Demarius Jacobs as the best high school YouTube highlights of any Billiken recruit. Honorable mention to Adam Knollmeyer.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This may not be an easily answerable question, but how does Nesbitt compare to Goodwin at the point of them both coming out of high school.  Obviously, we know what Goodwin has done these past four years, but if they were both coming out at the same time from high school, who would be ranked higher?  Who would be viewed as having the higher ceiling?

4 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

This may not be an easily answerable question, but how does Nesbitt compare to Goodwin at the point of them both coming out of high school.  Obviously, we know what Goodwin has done these past four years, but if they were both coming out at the same time from high school, who would be ranked higher?  Who would be viewed as having the higher ceiling?

nesbitt is my guess

3 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Goodwin ended up 61 in the 2017 Rivals rankings and Nesbitt is 79 on the 2021 list. However, I think that was the highest Goodwin was rated, whereas Nesbitt peaked at 46.

247sports has Nesbitt 48th; Goodwin was 46th in 2017.

Goodwin was 55th per ESPN, which had/has Nesbitt 81st.

Goodwin trended up over time and his final rankings were his peak ratings in HS. I think Nesbitt's numbers went down after he actually left midseason for college; his numbers through the first 9 games for STLCA were also so-so. Bottom line is they're in the same tier: 4-star, borderline top 50.

Nesbitt would probably be considered to have a higher ceiling. He's taller and a better shooter. Goodwin is a truly unique player as a guard who rebounds like he does, but doesn't have the complete guard skill set and more well rounded scoring ability Nesbitt has.

6 hours ago, NH said:

Nesbitt passes Carteare Gordon and Demarius Jacobs as the best high school YouTube highlights of any Billiken recruit. Honorable mention to Adam Knollmeyer.

Now I'm afraid to watch :) 

difference from the original ceiling when he came on the radar and what he's accomplished is like 106 yards in TD measurement for Gordon. in other words not likely to be topped. had high hopes for him

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

How do you know it is not a loop?

Because on the last one, he doesn’t back up out of the frame.

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

watch his foot as he lands...4 different spots...

If he had to set up a loop to show 4 3 pointers in a row, I would be worried.

Also, 4 in a row is good. It is not enough to get a green light from 3 range. Does anyone know what T. Ford’s criteria is to get the green light to shoot 3’s?

2 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Also, 4 in a row is good. It is not enough to get a green light from 3 range. Does anyone know what T. Ford’s criteria is to get the green light to shoot 3’s?

What excited me most about the video is that he’s quite a bit beyond the 3-point line with all of those shots. The kid’s got serious range.

48 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Doesn't literally everyone except the bigs have a green light?

49 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Not the kid from Iceland🥴

21 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Doesn't literally everyone except the bigs have a green light?

I am not sure how college coaching works, but every level I have heard of requires a showing of competence before you are allowed to shoot 3s by the coach. I mean, anyone can shoot them, but without permission it is a great way to become acquainted with a chair.

9 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I am not sure how college coaching works, but every level I have heard of requires a showing of competence before you are allowed to shoot 3s by the coach. I mean, anyone can shoot them, but without permission it is a great way to become acquainted with a chair.

Ford gives everyone a green light. Just most of the team can shoot

55 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Nice looking shot also. 

Yes, and that’s the more telling part. Making uncontested shots in an open gym is expected.

On a related note, how do you instruct players who get set with one foot in front of the other? I have always been curious whether coaches care about that or whether they are more concerned with the stroke.

42 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Yes, and that’s the more telling part. Making uncontested shots in an open gym is expected.

On a related note, how do you instruct players who get set with one foot in front of the other? I have always been curious whether coaches care about that or whether they are more concerned with the stroke.

Shot foot forward. The main thing for me is that the elbow points to the center of the rim. For most players it's easier to get there with the shot foot forward. For many it also helps to rotate slightly to the off hand side. Especially people with broad shoulders. Pulling that elbow in can feel stretched and unnatural. You can see he turns slightly left. What I like is he was consistent. He hit his shot pocket and didn't just push up through it and had a quick release. His hands finish great. His trajectory is perfect. 

It's just 4 shots and you could probably sit in front and nit pick but imo there is a lot to like in that shot. At least those 4

BilliesBy40 and Reinert310 like this

The first time I saw Nesbitt play he made something like six threes including a couple of really tough, contested looks. I was surprised when I later found out that shooting wasn't necessarily considered one of his biggest strengths. I think Nesbitt has the tools to be a high-level shooter, though he'll likely be more comfortable off the dribble than in catch-and-shoot situations early in his career.

9 minutes ago, NH said:

The first time I saw Nesbitt play he made something like six threes including a couple of really tough, contested looks. I was surprised when I later found out that shooting wasn't necessarily considered one of his biggest strengths. I think Nesbitt has the tools to be a high-level shooter, though he'll likely be more comfortable off the dribble than in catch-and-shoot situations early in his career.

I think Nesbitt's issue is more shot selection.  Just because you're confident shooting from anywhere doesn't mean you should.

slufanskip likes this