Nesbitt!

BJK

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

All over the country, even in the top programs, there are 12th and 13th players who simply don't measure up to the rest of the roster. Signing 13 players with comparable talent and high ceilings sounds good in theory but it doesn't play out in reality.  

Well, not sure of that opinion.  Still think most coaches do not recruit mediocrity.  You might have all 4 star players so it would seem all the players have comparable talent.  But in fact once on campus, some will outshine others, some will develop, some won't.  Those things always tend to sort out.  Even with all 4 stars, there will still likely end up being a clear 11, 12 and 13 player IMO.

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

In Grawer's heyday, the starting lineup was Jim Roder (DeSmet), Monroe Douglas (McKinney) , Roland Gray (McKinney) , Anthony Bonner (Vashon) and Redditt Hudson (U City).  The bench included Anthony Jones (Vason) and Ramon Trice (Vashon).  I think Ted Mimlitz (SLUH) was also part of that team.

1985 or 86 maybe?

Jim Roder graduated high school (DeSmet) in 1982 and went to K-State for 2 years before transferring and coming home. Ted Mimlitz SLUH) I believe graduated in 1983 and went to Mizzou for 1 year. Both joined the guys you mentioned as well as 2 other locals - Reditt Hudson (U City) and Dale Renkin (Howell) 

9 hours ago, juniorbill76 said:

I don’t want to start a new thread, but can we change the title of this one to the more official Welcome, Jordan Nesbitt? And where’s the Pitbull gif? Let’s give the man his due.

It was all I could muster due to my overwhelmed state 

19 hours ago, slusam said:

Okoro is from Normal, IL and Fred is from Cape. It's a stretch saying an all STL lineup even though they did all play AAU here.

Agreed, but I was saying if an all St. Louis lineup hit the floor at some point.  Doesn't have to be starters.  It would just be indicative of how we are building our team.

5 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-what does Jordan need to do in order to make this binding? guessing since he is a transfer it would be enrolling and attending classes at SLU

I think transfers sign some sort of financial agreement to make it binding. 

3 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Good point.......hes' primed for a call from Coach Poach in Columbia after his commitment

I don't expect anyone to care about this but the ironic thing about the "Coach Poach" nickname is that the longer Cuonzo is at Mizzou, the more it appears that what will hold him back is his inability to be aggressive in recruiting. When you look at the coaches he's competing with in the SEC (Musselman, Will Wade, Pearl, Calipari, etc.) they are all more willing to play the game of high-level recruitment than Cuonzo is (or at least than he has been since after the Porter bros experiment failed). Even compared to Travis Ford, Cuonzo is going after safer, less risky players (for example Mizzou didn't recruit Nesbitt). I thought Cuonzo was going to be a Penny Hardaway or John Calipari type, but he appears to be more Brad Soderberg and Kim Anderson.

4 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Good point.......hes' primed for a call from Coach Poach in Columbia after his commitment

I’m fairly certain that Martin never even offered him before he committed to Memphis. Not sure why, but I don’t think Jordan would all of a sudden leave SLU because the Poacher comes calling now. The way I look at it, if Jordan’s mind wasn’t already made up, if he was interested in hearing from other coaches and other schools, he wouldn’t have committed to SLU so quickly after he entered the portal. I mean, it was within 72 hours, I think. If he had any interest in exploring other options, he would’ve explored other options. He wanted to come home. And I think we’re all happy to have him.

slufanskip likes this

10 hours ago, NH said:

I don't expect anyone to care about this but the ironic thing about the "Coach Poach" nickname is that the longer Cuonzo is at Mizzou, the more it appears that what will hold him back is his inability to be aggressive in recruiting. When you look at the coaches he's competing with in the SEC (Musselman, Will Wade, Pearl, Calipari, etc.) they are all more willing to play the game of high-level recruitment than Cuonzo is (or at least than he has been since after the Porter bros experiment failed). Even compared to Travis Ford, Cuonzo is going after safer, less risky players (for example Mizzou didn't recruit Nesbitt). I thought Cuonzo was going to be a Penny Hardaway or John Calipari type, but he appears to be more Brad Soderberg and Kim Anderson.

You may be right. At least with St. Louis recruits. Then again I am not too familiar with his recruiting. Tilmon seems to have carried the team these past 2 years. Also he seemed to get quite of few transfers or non- 4 year guys from all over. Do you know what markets he is trying to focus on.  I would assume the greater STL area and KC?  If so, Gonzaga and UCLA have some guys who could have helped them. 

CBFan likes this

On 4/6/2021 at 7:17 PM, Billiken Rich said:

I don't think Nesbitt is likely to jump for another slick sales pitch. Mizzou has had a number of players head for the exit. I think he likes the SLU chemistry. 

I stumbled upon this scouting report/evaluation SI put together about Nesbitt. This just makes me even more excited to see him suit up at Chaifetz next season.

https://www.si.com/college/recruiting/basketball/jordan-nesbitt-highlights-evaluation

Prospect: SF Jordan Nesbitt
Projected Position: Small Forward
Vitals: 6-foot-6, 205 pounds
School: St. Louis (Mo.) Christian Academy
Committed to: Memphis

Frame: Lean frame with room to add and develop muscle at the next level.

Athleticism: Nesbitt is a long and wiry athlete with elite quickness which enables him to maneuver around and create for himself and his teammates. Nesbitt is shifty and slippery on the wing, and his combination of speed spurts and elite ball-handling skills make him tough to defend.

Instincts: Nesbitt is a gifted scorer who can fill it up on all three levels, but has the vision to involve his teammates when he’s drawing attention from the opposition. Nesbitt remains in attack mode but makes good reads on the offensive end and doesn’t force shots.

Polish: Nesbitt plays with a high motor but remains calculated in his attack. He doesn’t waste movement on the offensive end; every speed shift and hesitation has purpose and enables him to be effective. As a defender, Nesbitt brings the same intensity and is capable of guarding multiple positions because of his length.

Bottom Line: Nesbitt’s size, length and skill as a three-level, high-motor scorer will ensure that he’ll be an instant-impact player at the next level. As he continues to develop as a defender, Nesbitt’s stock should soar during his time at Memphis.