Nesbitt!

BJK

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

If that happened, the media should be all over it.  Especially Cusamano.  An all St. Louis lineup on the floor, even if not starters, is a big deal.  Don't have the time to look it up or know where to look it up, but that probably hasn't happened since the 50s maybe?

Bonner/Douglass/Gray teams may have had it at some point?

33 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Rashad Williams edit was pretty good I thought.

I actually think it is awesome / hilarious that Nesbitt first announced his commitment on an over the air news station during which he appeared to be riding in a car while conducting his interview with Frank and then puts out this MS Paint quality edit on his Twitter.  It hopefully means that Nesbitt isn't too full of himself and cares more about basketball than this flashy social media stuff.

True true. That's fair kinda forgot bout his cause I wasn't as hyped lol. Ya Just me ranting and I know it's not school personel but you think they could/ would try to provide something better than that. Not trying to offend just a thought. 

13 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

If that happened, the media should be all over it.  Especially Cusamano.  An all St. Louis lineup on the floor, even if not starters, is a big deal.  Don't have the time to look it up or know where to look it up, but that probably hasn't happened since the 50s maybe?

Okoro is from Normal, IL and Fred is from Cape. It's a stretch saying an all STL lineup even though they did all play AAU here.

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Ha, but so true. Columbia Missouri is just as close as those two towns. 

They may not be STL kids, so to get around that, we can just use “local kids” instead.

42 minutes ago, slusam said:

Okoro is from Normal, IL and Fred is from Cape. It's a stretch saying an all STL lineup even though they did all play AAU here.

Swamp east MO grad here - never equate Sikeston with Cape Girardeau - fighting words for sure.

Billiken Rich likes this

29 minutes ago, Major Majerus said:

Swamp east MO grad here - never equate Sikeston with Cape Girardeau - fighting words for sure.

Those people are terrible at Bridge 

6 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I have no problem with adding the PF or PG equivalent of Jimmy Bell with one of our remaining scholarships.  It's not like mid major recruits have an abundance of options right now.  If the 479th ranked high schooler gets an offer in this environment, even if there are no minutes available, he's in no position to be picky.  That kid will most likely get recruited over given the quality of the local recruits in the 2022 class, however.

Now I don't know what Ford tells players when he recruits them to SLU.  I hope he says he recruits the very best players he can then lets the competition in practice determine who plays.  Good players want to play, but the best want to compete against the best to see who plays.  Disagree with both of you.

- Yes, you recruit the very best players.  Recruiting over players???  If you are straight with kids from day 1, they know Ford is going to bring the best players he can.  Competition decides who plays.  Not recruiting the best you can get is the recipe for mediocrity.

- Equivolent of Jimmy Bell?  Love Jimmy but don't think you recruit players you know are a project, unless that is the only way you can get a 6'10" kid into your program.  Here's hoping Bell ends up being a star, but IMO you bring in the best you can.  I suggested Sekou Gassama might be worth a look.  A athletic big that might have a fairly high ceiling that has been slowed by a junior year HS injury.  Now a kid like that might be worth a look if Ford agrees he possibly has a high ceiling.

CBFan likes this

2 hours ago, SLU-Geo said:

I like this "Big" lineup, when needed.  Nesbitt @ point, 3 3-point shooters and lots of strength inside.  Matchup problems for smaller A-10 teams.

Bell 6'10

Okoro 6'9

Perkins  6'6

Nesbitt 6'6

Jimerson 6'5

I like that lineup, too, and it should stomp mid-majors like A10 teams. SLU was a little undersized, but normally that wasn't a factor due to so much athleticism and rebounding. We saw in the loss to St. Bonaventure, however, that size could become a factor due to all the swats. 

On paper, FT and 3-PT shooting should become stronger. Question marks: team D....plus team leadership/chemistry due to JGood leaving. Hope to be pleasantly surprised, plus it's good SLU is in a position to reload (and possibly improve) rather than rebuild.

9 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Now I don't know what Ford tells players when he recruits them to SLU.  I hope he says he recruits the very best players he can then let's the competition in practice determine who plays.  Good players want to play, but the best wsnt to comptete against the best to see who plays.  Disagree with both of you.

- Yes, you recruit the very best players.  Recruiting over players???  If you are straight with kids from day 1, they know Ford is going to bring the best players he can.  Competition decides who plays.  Not recruiting the best you can get is the recipe for mediocrity.

- Equivolent of Jimmy Bell?  Love Jimmy but don't think you recruit players you know are a project, unless that is the only way you can get a 6'10" kid into your program.  Here's hoping Bell ends up being a star, but IMO you bring in the best you can.  I suggested Sekou Gassama might be worth a look.  A athletic big that might have a fairly high ceiling that has been slowed by a junior year HS injury.  Now a kid like that might be worth a look if Ford agrees he possibly has a high ceiling.

All over the country, even in the top programs, there are 12th and 13th players who simply don't measure up to the rest of the roster. Signing 13 players with comparable talent and high ceilings sounds good in theory but it doesn't play out in reality.  

In Grawer's heyday, the starting lineup was Jim Roder (DeSmet), Monroe Douglas (McKinney) , Roland Gray (McKinney) , Anthony Bonner (Vashon) and Redditt Hudson (U City).  The bench included Anthony Jones (Vason) and Ramon Trice (Vashon).  I think Ted Mimlitz (SLUH) was also part of that team.

1985 or 86 maybe?

willie and cgeldmacher like this

11 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

however, if he truly was a one and done talent as penny claimed, wouldnt that be good enough to work into the rotation asap?   something doesnt add up imo.  i am hoping i am wrong and we all arent just drunk with his potential and ignoring other issues.  i do not want gordon 2.0.   not saying there is any issues, but something isnt right.   and if people think it was just a matter that penny had over promised roster spots, well if that was true, are you telling me as a projected one and done talent, nesbitt wasnt one of the 13 best players?   

crossing my fingers and hoping this works.  

Yeah.  You might be on to something.  

10 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

In Grawer's heyday, the starting lineup was Jim Roder (DeSmet), Monroe Douglas (McKinney) , Roland Gray (McKinney) , Anthony Bonner (Vashon) and Redditt Hudson (U City).  The bench included Anthony Jones (Vason) and Ramon Trice (Vashon).  I think Ted Mimlitz (SLUH) was also part of that team.

1985 or 86 maybe?

1966 or 67. John Kilo. Bob Cole. Eugene Moore. Rich Nieman Barry Orms. Might have mixed a couple of years.  

11 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Everyone knows Ford gets talent.   Recruiting hope springs eternal.  It's the losses in games that matter that make people step to the ledge.  I don't think he'll ever really get it done (a NCAA tourney game win).  But I hope like hell I'm wrong.

No I think this is a spot on assessment with the talent and depth Ford has now.  If this team doesn’t get to the NCAA tourney in the next two years you really have to consider moving on.  Heck, if they don’t rack up some wins you have to see the seat at least getting warm. 

7 hours ago, A10Ref said:

I can't wait til we play someone and throw the all-STL lineup(s) at them - any combination of Fred, Yuri, TJ, Okoro, Nesbitt, and JP... Would be sweet and I can definitely see some sportscenter top plays coming from any of them

The all-STL would have to be Yuri, Russell, Perkins, Nesbitt, Hargrove Jr., but I don’t see Yuri and Russell on the floor at the same time.

21 minutes ago, Slufan10 said:

The all-STL would have to be Yuri, Russell, Perkins, Nesbitt, Hargrove Jr., but I don’t see Yuri and Russell on the floor at the same time.

I move the city of Sikeston to merge with the city of St. Louis. There will be unlimited benefits for both municipalities, for unlimited and undefined reasons. Then we can start Thatch.