Nesbitt!

BJK

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, TJHawk said:

Does anyone know why he only played 3 games?

Nesbitt was originally set to join the team for the 2021-2022 season. However, the staff and Jordan's father thought it made sense to have Jordan join the team early in January to get acclimated to the program, coaches, etc. He was not expected to play any games for Memphis this past season, so he actually ended up playing in 3 more games than expected. 

TJHawk likes this

43 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

I think @CBFanmight have nailed the starting lineup prediction in another thread: Yuri, Williams, Nesbitt, Perkins, Okoro. It sure would be a fun group of players to watch. 

I believe Williams came to SLU with a fair chance to complete for a starting position.

That five could be the most athletic starting 5 for SLU ever.

4 of those starters have 3 point range that will give Okoro plenty of room to work plus they can slash to the basket.

15 minutes ago, NH said:

Nesbitt was originally set to join the team for the 2021-2022 season. However, the staff and Jordan's father thought it made sense to have Jordan join the team early in January to get acclimated to the program, coaches, etc. He was not expected to play any games for Memphis this past season, so he actually ended up playing in 3 more games than expected. 

however, if he truly was a one and done talent as penny claimed, wouldnt that be good enough to work into the rotation asap?   something doesnt add up imo.  i am hoping i am wrong and we all arent just drunk with his potential and ignoring other issues.  i do not want gordon 2.0.   not saying there is any issues, but something isnt right.   and if people think it was just a matter that penny had over promised roster spots, well if that was true, are you telling me as a projected one and done talent, nesbitt wasnt one of the 13 best players?   

crossing my fingers and hoping this works.  

NextYearBill likes this

10 hours ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

So what do we think the starting lineup will look like next year? Yuri, Nesbitt, Thatch, Perkins, Okoro? Maybe swap out Thatch for Jimerson? 

Jimerson is a bench guy until he develops a more well rounded game. Sucks but that is just the reality.

14 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

however, if he truly was a one and done talent as penny claimed, wouldnt that be good enough to work into the rotation asap?   something doesnt add up imo.  i am hoping i am wrong and we all arent just drunk with his potential and ignoring other issues.  i do not want gordon 2.0.   not saying there is any issues, but something isnt right.   and if people think it was just a matter that penny had over promised roster spots, well if that was true, are you telling me as a projected one and done talent, nesbitt wasnt one of the 13 best players?   

It does seem there is more to the story, but I trust Ford and Tate know the story and are comfortable with the circumstances. Plus, FWIW, Nesbitt wasn't widely considered a one-and-done player.

I agree with B-Roy about if he is 1 and done talent level he would've played.  However, that was coach speak.  Penny saying what players want to hear.

Memphis looks like a mess, all that talent  they aren't in a top league and they still didn't make the NCAA.  They did win the NIT though.  

So I'm optimistic that a change of scenery to a more functional "team".  Can only help Nesbitt.

Gotta take the shot on top talent from St. Louis.  It's big as his versatility probably had him on a lot of team's radars.

33 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I believe Williams came to SLU with a fair chance to complete for a starting position.

That five could be the most athletic starting 5 for SLU ever.

4 of those starters have 3 point range that will give Okoro plenty of room to work plus they can slash to the basket.

I like Thatch with Yuri, Nesbitt, Perk and Okoro. We'll have plenty of offensive firepower, so I think we'll need a guy in the lineup like Thatch to do a lot of dirty work. 

14 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Remember Roy, Nesbitt wasn’t the only guy that left. Ellis and Jeffries left too, and they were the 3rd and 4th scorers on Memphis’ team. I honestly think Nesbitt realized Penny made a promise he couldn’t and/or had no intention of keeping, which was the only reason he committed to Memphis in the first place, and might’ve realized his mistake. I could be wrong. But he talks about coming home, and how much familiarity he has with guys on our roster. Hopefully, it’s just as simple as that.

SLU_Nick likes this

4 minutes ago, Lando Griffin said:

Nice! So is everyone back on the Ford bandwagon now?

Everyone knows Ford gets talent.   Recruiting hope springs eternal.  It's the losses in games that matter that make people step to the ledge.  I don't think he'll ever really get it done (a NCAA tourney game win).  But I hope like hell I'm wrong.

Bizziken likes this

29 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Even being a one and done talent doesn’t always equate to getting serious minutes after being thrown into a brand new team in the middle of the conference season. He wouldn’t have known plays, schemes, or rotations. While I think there is more to the reason he left, I don’t look into him not playing much. 

NextYearBill and slufanskip like this

25 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

Even being a one and done talent doesn’t always equate to getting serious minutes after being thrown into a brand new team in the middle of the conference season. He wouldn’t have known plays, schemes, or rotations. While I think there is more to the reason he left, I don’t look into him not playing much. 

i disagree, if he was truly a one and done talent, it wouldnt take 3 months to work his way into major minutes.   

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i disagree, if he was truly a one and done talent, it wouldnt take 3 months to work his way into major minutes.   

But I don’t think even Penny really believed he was truly a 1-and-done talent. He said that to get a commitment. I mean did anybody here think he was a 1 and done when he was getting crystal balls for SLU 6 months ago? I don’t remember anyone on either the Illinois or Memphis fan boards making a case for that either. Penny said whatever he needed to say to close the deal, which was a lie, which is probably the main reason Nesbitt is leaving Memphis.

kshoe likes this

7 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

But I don’t think even Penny really believed he was truly a 1-and-done talent. He said that to get a commitment. I mean did anybody here think he was a 1 and done when he was getting crystal balls for SLU 6 months ago? I don’t remember anyone on either the Illinois or Memphis fan boards making a case for that either. Penny said whatever he needed to say to close the deal, which was a lie, which is probably the main reason Nesbitt is leaving Memphis.

wish someone would tell us that instead of us just posturing such.   until then i will continue to worry and hope all is well.  

Reinert310 likes this

I always felt like Nesbitt's move made a lot of sense.  Go to Memphis early to see what it's like, get acclimated, and then have the opportunity to decide if it's the right fit without really losing anything.

It's also possible that Nesbitt went to Memphis, got homesick and wanted to come home.

I'm excited about nearly every player on this team, but if the Bills want to take the next step, we need to get this type of prospect as well.

44 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Everyone knows Ford gets talent.   Recruiting hope springs eternal.  It's the losses in games that matter that make people step to the ledge.  I don't think he'll ever really get it done (a NCAA tourney game win).  But I hope like hell I'm wrong.

You don't think Travis will EVER win an NCAA Tournament game?  He may not have Majerus' floor coaching chops but I'd bewilling to bet you are wrong on that one....

cheeseman likes this

9 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I mean, take it for what its worth, but there are multiple guys on here who have GSTKP in person and have said the same.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

@Pistol or anyone else, what were Nesbitt's numbers from the arc his last season at SLCA:  attempts per game and success rate, averages. 

I did like his mention in the Frank video that he does play defense.

I haven't been able to find last season's stats yet.

This year, before he went to Memphis, Nesbitt was 5-24 (.208) from the 3-point line in 9 games for STLCA. He was .846 from the FT line and averaged 15.8 PPG on .317 overall shooting (dragged by his 3P%). I'll try to find last year because I'm positive he was better than that.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

I like Thatch with Yuri, Nesbitt, Perk and Okoro. We'll have plenty of offensive firepower, so I think we'll need a guy in the lineup like Thatch to do a lot of dirty work. 

There are lots of good combinations to choose from with the current team for starters such as Hargrove and Jimerson.

Whatever posters choices for the starting 5 no one is wrong we are just that deep.

Ford had multiple B12 POY (James Anderson & Marcus Smart) and didn't win a tournament game.  He's never won a NCAA game with his own players.  His sole victory coming his 1st season at OSU.

I'm hoping he overcomes that because we are desperate for a NCAA win.  Gotta make it first though. 

Prediction,  Porter underachieves at OU.  Ford continues along his current path.  Moser to SLU in 2027.

He needs to flip this script some how.  Maybe a player led team with a never say die attitude (kinda seemed like J Good was that guy) or a new assistant that can make an impact.  

Stack enough talent and ya gotta win at some point right?

TaLBErt likes this

Maybe Penny believed Nesbitt was a one and done level player.  He wasn't leaving after one semester to go pro however.  Maybe Jordan enrolled early to get a jump on conditioning,  learning the system so he could be ready to produce at a high level next year.  Maybe after seeing players transfer out of Memphis,  Jordan didn't see it as a great situation to be in and wanted to leave for a better one.

I have no insight on this situation.  Just another viewpoint.

2010andBeyond likes this