Welcome, Rashad Williams!

wgstl

22 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I am not an expert on this kid by any means but why is having a high 3pt attempt if you only shoot 33% a good thing?  I am not knocking the signing but does this team need another 31-33% 3pt shooter?

and if he only shot 3 pt shots it's equal to 50% from 2. A guard shooting 50% from 2 is pretty good. Plus didn't I read somewhere he had an injury? Maybe shoulder? 

cheeseman likes this

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

yo WV ---- not every team has a Watford or a Bates.  And as you so aptly pointed out, we beat them both.  sure we'll see guys like that and even if they are unstoppable, stop the rest.  We had French and now Okoro,  Probably the best two Billiken bigs ever.  We won't be seeing another unless we get Tarris Reed.  

Need another athletic big ...... it is an opinion.  You have yours, I have mine.  Isn't that is what a fan board is all about?  Let's see what happens.

TaLBErt likes this

12 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Need another athletic big ...... it is an opinion.  You have yours, I have mine.  Isn't that is what a fan board is all about?  Let's see what happens.

I know they don’t exactly grow on trees, but I’d love to find a big that can spread the floor and hit a 3, a Rob Low/Cody Ellis type.

4 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Agree, need another PG, or at the least, a very good ball handling combo guard. 

Hard to believe but Yuri will be a JR so getting his heir apparent to push him and be his back up (Yuri has been injured both years), learn the position and allow Yuri to catch his breath is not a bad idea. Without JGood or Jacobs, we will need a PG to lead the team at least 10 minutes per game. 

Same with Bell who will be a JR and Linssen who will be a SR?

4 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Agree, need another PG, or at the least, a very good ball handling combo guard. 

Hard to believe but Yuri will be a JR so getting his heir apparent to push him and be his back up (Yuri has been injured both years), learn the position and allow Yuri to catch his breath is not a bad idea. Without JGood or Jacobs, we will need a PG to lead the team at least 10 minutes per game. 

Same with Bell who will be a JR and Linssen who will be a SR?

Billiken Rich likes this

14 hours ago, slufanskip said:

and if he only shot 3 pt shots it's equal to 50% from 2. A guard shooting 50% from 2 is pretty good. Plus didn't I read somewhere he had an injury? Maybe shoulder? 

Yes, he did have a shoulder injury but improved. He also had back to back 30 pt games against Mich State and OK State when his shoulder improved according to Pistol. Also according to Pistol, he can create his own shot. I think he is likely to be a good addition to the Bills.

Welcome to the Bills Rashad Williams.

slufanskip likes this

Some posters down on this piclup.

I'm very bullish.  This guy is a scorer.  He has Jimmerson's release, maybe more range with an Isabel mentality.  He's not just a 3 point shooter.  He has really good handles and can break his defender down.  

If he can fit into the team he will be a tremendous pickup.  6th man of the the year?  Newcomer of the year talent possibly.  Arguing over whether he gets 10-15 minutes a game, I think this guy starts and is minimum our 3rd leading scorer.

2 minutes ago, thetorch said:

If he can fit into the team he will be a tremendous pickup.  6th man of the the year?  Newcomer of the year talent possibly.  Arguing over whether he gets 10-15 minutes a game, I think this guy starts and is minimum our 3rd leading scorer.

Would you have any concerns defensively, particularly next to Yuri in the back court? I hope I’m wrong, but I fear we’d get killed defensively with a backcourt where Yuri, Jimerson and Williams would all be on the floor together a fair amount of the time. Overall I’m on the same page that he is a high level scorer and my main questions are based more on fit than talent.

I have to imagine the staff is either planning on playing Thatch very big minutes or, IMO more likely, still looking for a dynamic two-way combo guard. It doesn’t sound like it’ll be Mckissic, but someone in that mold.

@WV ---- peace, man.  Not trying to argue with you.  Many folks smarter than I have observed that the college game is a guard's game.  To that end, few teams have athletic, studly big men and if they do, they usually reside in P5 conferences and not at the A10 level.  Outside of Mitchell, I am hard pressed to find another 'complete' big man residing in the A10.  Davidson is Euro-soft.  Dayton had none.  Michael Hughes, Hasan Ward  and AJ Wilson were prowling for blocks and not complete players.  Josh Oduro is/was soft.  Fordham, La Salle, St. Joe's, Geedubya and Richmond did not have any (maybe Cato at Richmond).  Rhode Island needs development.  You get one big in this league and you can run the table.  Just look at Obi-Wan and Dayton two years back.

I believe with the three open scholarships, I'd want a PG apparent for Yuri, a combo-guard shooter and, in the proverbial NFL jargon, the best athlete available.  Junior year is usually the year most guys start to peak, becoming true upperclassmen and leading the way.  We have Bell, Collins, Hargrove, Thatch and Jimerson standing in the wings.  Okoro will be somewhat of an unknown, a wild card coming in.  Linssen is dependable.  Strickland and Lorentsson are sophs to be.  They have time.  Jimmy Bell has to b emore than a stationary object on the court.  He can't start each half with the Grandy contributions --- 4 minutes and gone.  Collins needs to learn to shoot -- maybe he takes over the team now that Goodwin is gone.  Ditto Thatch.  Hargrove can longer be giuven the excuse that he's young or had a poor basektball upbringing.  Jimerson has to take more shots and make more shots.  

As I look at the roster in comparison to the rest of the A10, I think we are stacked.  The pieces needed are for fine tuning and tweaking.  It's time for Bell and Okoro to dominate the paint and for our stable of guards to run the perimeter.  I'd still like to see some youth injected onto the roster and not get three grad transfers but that seems to be the new world normal.  

Not vehemently arguing with you.

bauman likes this

17 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@WV ---- peace, man.  Not trying to argue with you.  Many folks smarter than I have observed that the college game is a guard's game.  To that end, few teams have athletic, studly big men and if they do, they usually reside in P5 conferences and not at the A10 level.  Outside of Mitchell, I am hard pressed to find another 'complete' big man residing in the A10.  Davidson is Euro-soft.  Dayton had none.  Michael Hughes, Hasan Ward  and AJ Wilson were prowling for blocks and not complete players.  Josh Oduro is/was soft.  Fordham, La Salle, St. Joe's, Geedubya and Richmond did not have any (maybe Cato at Richmond).  Rhode Island needs development.  You get one big in this league and you can run the table.  Just look at Obi-Wan and Dayton two years back.

I believe with the three open scholarships, I'd want a PG apparent for Yuri, a combo-guard shooter and, in the proverbial NFL jargon, the best athlete available.  Junior year is usually the year most guys start to peak, becoming true upperclassmen and leading the way.  We have Bell, Collins, Hargrove, Thatch and Jimerson standing in the wings.  Okoro will be somewhat of an unknown, a wild card coming in.  Linssen is dependable.  Strickland and Lorentsson are sophs to be.  They have time.  Jimmy Bell has to b emore than a stationary object on the court.  He can't start each half with the Grandy contributions --- 4 minutes and gone.  Collins needs to learn to shoot -- maybe he takes over the team now that Goodwin is gone.  Ditto Thatch.  Hargrove can longer be giuven the excuse that he's young or had a poor basektball upbringing.  Jimerson has to take more shots and make more shots.  

As I look at the roster in comparison to the rest of the A10, I think we are stacked.  The pieces needed are for fine tuning and tweaking.  It's time for Bell and Okoro to dominate the paint and for our stable of guards to run the perimeter.  I'd still like to see some youth injected onto the roster and not get three grad transfers but that seems to be the new world normal.  

Not vehemently arguing with you.

I would also like to see 2 freshman. With all the transfers out there good freshman could be ignored. 

29 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Some posters down on this piclup.

I'm very bullish.  This guy is a scorer.  He has Jimmerson's release, maybe more range with an Isabel mentality.  He's not just a 3 point shooter.  He has really good handles and can break his defender down.  

A lot depends on who the 2nd guard commit is.  

6 minutes ago, willie said:

I would also like to see 2 freshman. With all the transfers out there good freshman could be ignored. 

i am starting to wonder because there are so many (with quality) transfers out there, that programs will be ignoring the high school availables and we could score bigger than normal looking to go young.   just seems to me since we really arent desparate for immediate new contribution players (particularly if The Torch's belief of rashad is correct and if Okoro is the real deal as many of us believe) why not look for that developing high schooler that can become special?  what am i missing?

slufanskip and willie like this

Looking at video from his 2019-20 season, a few things jump out... he gets his shot off quickly and he's willing to shoot it from way deep - a few feet behind the line. The thing I like is that he can get a good 3 off the dribble. He's not just a catch and shoot guy, he can create his own 3, which comes in handy late in the shot clock.

15 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i am starting to wonder because there are so many (with quality) transfers out there, that programs will be ignoring the high school availables and we could score bigger than normal looking to go young.   just seems to me since we really arent desparate for immediate new contribution players (particularly if The Torch's belief of rashad is correct and if Okoro is the real deal as many of us believe) why not look for that developing high schooler that can become special?  what am i missing?

It's definitely an interesting thought... but we are so young (eligibility wise). Fred Soph, TJ Soph, GJ Fresh, Markhi Fresh, etc.. We don't really need to get freshmen and are able to cherry pick guys that have developed elsewhere.

14 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

What's the difference in getting a late developing high schooler or getting a late developing high schooler who has also played a year of college and has four years of eligibility left?

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

What's the difference in getting a late developing high schooler or getting a late developing high schooler who has also played a year of college and has four years of eligibility left?

maybe a couple of years in age at a time the most body and mind maturity might be happening.   i.e. unforseen big time potential might be just around the corner.   

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

maybe a couple of years in age at a time the most body and mind maturity might be happening.   i.e. unforseen big time potential might be just around the corner.   

Higher risk higher reward... no matter what with all the transfers going on, I would bet we have one more departure. Our team is getting more and more crowded with guys that will play right now. I think it’s a good problem to have, but I expect some very happy days with a big transfer and some sad seeing a kid go. 

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Ford has shown he will go 8 to 10 deep. He has stated that on the radio, and his history here and at OKState back that up.  

I look at mpg, and then glance at games played, when looking at these metrics.  Last season we had 9 playing double digit minutes, with Bell playing in 19 games at 8.8 mpg.  So I'll count Bell and we went 10 deep.  If you look at the upcoming roster, pick your 10.  If you are an incoming player, where do you fit into the rotation.  Randomly listing rotation for next season, Perkins, Okoro, Linssen, Thatch, Jimerson, Collins, Bell, Williams, Hargrove....that's 9 already.  For certain we need a second PG in this rotation, be it Russell or a new player, so that is 10.  (Maybe Has will come back if promised he can be Collins backup!)  Yes, Strickland and Lorentsson aren't on this list.  So where does anyone else fit?  Unless another Billiken jumps into the portal, there will be long faces on the bench.  If a HS athlete is comfortable 'developing' for a year, bring him in.  But certainly have that conversation with him and his parents now, not after he gets several DNP in a row.

NH and billiken_roy like this

3 hours ago, NH said:

Would you have any concerns defensively, particularly next to Yuri in the back court? I hope I’m wrong, but I fear we’d get killed defensively with a backcourt where Yuri, Jimerson and Williams would all be on the floor together a fair amount of the time. Overall I’m on the same page that he is a high level scorer and my main questions are based more on fit than talent.

I have to imagine the staff is either planning on playing Thatch very big minutes or, IMO more likely, still looking for a dynamic two-way combo guard. It doesn’t sound like it’ll be Mckissic, but someone in that mold.

Carter touched on this in his article, but Williams struggled playing in a zone defense but does well in man-to-man. He should be fine here. I think Ford players know they have to defend.

19 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Yo WV —— outside of Tre Mitchell, which other 6’8” to 6’10” “stud” abused us these past few years?  My argument being that outside of Mitchell, the A10 has none.

I like to think bigger here, Taj. We’re going to the Dance next year, and i want bigs like Michigan and Oregon State had. Big bruisers who can shoot and rebound. Would love to develop them, since CF is going to tell them he is staying here long term, and needs building blocks to build on the legacy of French.

Maybe pipe dreams, but I want us to not look for players to compete with A10 teams, but 2nd round, 3rd round teams.

Think BIG

mhg

3 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

I like to think bigger here, Taj. We’re going to the Dance next year, and i want bigs like Michigan and Oregon State had. Big bruisers who can shoot and rebound. Would love to develop them, since CF is going to tell them he is staying here long term, and needs building blocks to build on the legacy of French.

Maybe pipe dreams, but I want us to not look for players to compete with A10 teams, but 2nd round, 3rd round teams.

Think BIG

mhg

Big bruisers who can shoot and rebound typically don’t end up in the A10. It can happen, but typically it’s the result of developing guys viewed as a project.

9 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Carter touched on this in his article, but Williams struggled playing in a zone defense but does well in man-to-man. He should be fine here. I think Ford players know they have to defend.

I’m not suggesting you or Carter are wrong, but what makes you say he does well in man-to-man? That’s just not really what I saw from the video I watched but I have a limited sample for sure. 

I agree that Ford players know they have to defend, which is why I have trouble picturing Williams getting big minutes. Based on his track record, I can’t see Ford playing two average to below-average defenders (Jimerson and Williams) together for significant stretches of time. 

16 minutes ago, NH said:

I’m not suggesting you or Carter are wrong, but what makes you say he does well in man-to-man? That’s just not really what I saw from the video I watched but I have a limited sample for sure. 

I agree that Ford players know they have to defend, which is why I have trouble picturing Williams getting big minutes. Based on his track record, I can’t see Ford playing two average to below-average defenders (Jimerson and Williams) together for significant stretches of time. 

I only know what I read about his defense. I didn't see Oakland play this year and videos are all offense.

I do know that he more than doubled his steals this season despite playing fewer games and minutes.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I only know what I read about his defense. I didn't see Oakland play this year and videos are all offense.

I do know that he more than doubled his steals this season despite playing fewer games and minutes.

I gotcha. I just don’t know how Carter would know something like that so was curious if there was someone else who had referenced his man-to-man defense or a coach who had made a comment in some article or anything like that. 

I agree with you that his defense will certainly be better at SLU than it was at Oakland.