2021-2022 Season

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The assessment on Traore is nice news ... we'll have to wait and see how true it is.  

Top ten?  Perkins, Collins, Okoro, Linssen, Hargrove, Thatch, Jimerson, Williams, Nesbitt and Jones?  Leaves out holdovers Lorentson and Strickland along with Traore.  I hope we get to see some of those last three in our first five games (exhibitions included) just for knowledge/evaluation sake.  Lorentson is a real mystery as is Traore but I really liked what I saw from Strickland in minor minutes last year.

i think a lot depends on which jimmmmerson shows up.   get us the deadeye sniper, i am playing him.   we get the one after covid last year that seemed more than lost, well then i am fine playing hargrove over him.   

i also want to see strickland get every opportunity.   man that is a lot of god given athleticism.  he and hargrove together would keep people in their seats till the end.  but i also understand with this much talent (as compared to previous billiken rosters) ford can insist on defense, rebounding and just flat out knowing the system and what to do to dole out PT.   

remember the days when sekue was good enough to start?  long way baby!

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

i think a lot depends on which jimmmmerson shows up.   get us the deadeye sniper, i am playing him.   we get the one after covid last year that seemed more than lost, well then i am fine playing hargrove over him.   

i also want to see strickland get every opportunity.   man that is a lot of god given athleticism.  he and hargrove together would keep people in their seats till the end.  but i also understand with this much talent (as compared to previous billiken rosters) ford can insist on defense, rebounding and just flat out knowing the system and what to do to dole out PT.   

remember the days when sekue was good enough to start?  long way baby!

I disagree slightly on Jimerson.  Get him the ball when he's open, and he's a dead eye sniper that you can go with.  Get him the ball with a defender right in his face, and he feels like he has to jack up a quick shot over the defender's outstretched hand, and you will get the Jimerson that seems more lost.

19 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I disagree slightly on Jimerson.  Get him the ball when he's open, and he's a dead eye sniper that you can go with.  Get him the ball with a defender right in his face, and he feels like he has to jack up a quick shot over the defender's outstretched hand, and you will get the Jimerson that seems more lost.

This is what Tate was inferring, Jimerson overthought his shot last season.  I believe (hope) that Tate was saying that Gibson has improved on his shot process.

Pistol likes this

22 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Also, if Hargrove blows up this year, the narrative that the coaching staff can't develop players needs to go away.

I thought Bess developed quite a bit during his career here. The coach can't do it all either. The player has to buy in, be willing to put in the work and make adjustments when necessary.

cgeldmacher likes this

14 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

This is what Tate was inferring, Jimerson overthought his shot last season.  I believe (hope) that Tate was saying that Gibson has improved on his shot process.

That is great to hear. We discussed how Jimerson's shot changed throughout the year (flatter trajectory, less lift on his jump, etc.). I always felt those changes were material factors in his struggles. 

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

Also, if Hargrove blows up this year, the narrative that the coaching staff can't develop players needs to go away.

or maybe we need to question why he didnt play more before.

willie and HenryB like this

51 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

That is great to hear. We discussed how Jimerson's shot changed throughout the year (flatter trajectory, less lift on his jump, etc.). I always felt those changes were material factors in his struggles. 

In addition to likely recovering from COVID during the 2nd part, last year was the first "full" season Jimerson played at the college level.  He played only 10 games in 2019-20 before he got hurt.  His shooting slump last season really started with the 14th game of the season.  He shot 43.7% from 3 for the 1st 13 games and then 26.1% for the next 8.  Hopefully he's better prepared for the rigors of a full season.

BilliesBy40 likes this

Just now, billiken_roy said:

I think the issue was that he did not start hitting his perimeter shots until later in the season and as has been mentioned previously, his defense also started to get better.  Maybe he has really worked on it.  He is a match up problem with his athleticism.

19 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I think the issue was that he did not start hitting his perimeter shots until later in the season and as has been mentioned previously, his defense also started to get better.  Maybe he has really worked on it.  He is a match up problem with his athleticism.

TJ had some interesting three point numbers.  In the first 5 games he hit 5 of 7 (71%). Then he went 0-7 during the next 7 games.  He finished the last 7 games a 9-19 (47%).

35 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Play more over who?  Jimerson played well in the first half of the season and Thatch played well in the second half.  And Goodwin played the same minutes he always played.  With Goodwin gone, there are more minutes up for grabs.  That was always going to be case.  The kids behind him knew that when they signed up here.

10 hours ago, NH said:

I could be making this up but I think we were supposed to play them and something happened with the scheduling 

Correct. We had the return game scheduled for this season but it was bumped back to next season. It's still happening. Not sure if the request to move it came from our end or theirs, not that it's a huge deal.

On 9/1/2021 at 11:44 AM, Taj79 said:

The assessment on Traore is nice news ... we'll have to wait and see how true it is.  

Top ten?  Perkins, Collins, Okoro, Linssen, Hargrove, Thatch, Jimerson, Williams, Nesbitt and Jones?  Leaves out holdovers Lorentson and Strickland along with Traore.  I hope we get to see some of those last three in our first five games (exhibitions included) just for knowledge/evaluation sake.  Lorentson is a real mystery as is Traore but I really liked what I saw from Strickland in minor minutes last year.

I hope lorentson does gets some minutes just to get a hint as to what might be down the road. tate did not mention him and barely mentioned strickland

14 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

I hope lorentson does gets some minutes just to get a hint as to what might be down the road. tate did not mention him and barely mentioned strickland

One issue with our relatively tough schedule is that it will be tough to find "garbage time" minutes for deeper bench players.  The only games that I think we should expect to win by very large margins are the 2 exhibitions and the first 3 of the season (Central Ark, Harris Stowe, and Eastern Illinois).  That being said, I'd imagine with those back to back games against Central Arkansas and Harris Stowe some of the deeper bench guys will get longer run than they normally would.  That could be the primary reason for having the Harris Stowe game at all.

dennis_w likes this

So, I started watching the Netflix documentary about pirates and found out that the most famous pirate of all-time, Blackbeard, his real name was Edward Thatch. Ed Thatch stole gold from Spanish ships. Fred Thatch steals passes from A10 rivals. Can’t possibly be a coincidence.

RUBillsFan likes this