2021-2022 Season

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I understand they want to have a certain number of home games for season ticket holders, but why the heck are they playing Harris Stowe 11/10 the night after the UCA game 11/9.  I don't see any upside to playing that game.

Nov 24 - Dec 22 is a pretty brutal stretch with no "easy" games especially if we get Buffalo in the Cancun Challenge.  Boston College is the easiest on paper.  Crazy that in a 7 game non-conference stretch the weakest opponent might be the ACC team.  I can't imagine that ever being the case in the past.

I don’t know how accurate this is, but I’ve heard the argument being made that they wanted an extra game of experience under their belts before heading to Memphis.

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

I don’t know how accurate this is, but I’ve heard the argument being made that they wanted an extra game of experience under their belts before heading to Memphis.

I can see that I suppose.  I can also see the back to back as sort of preparation for the Cancun Tournament back to back and then later the A10 tournament.  

The downside is injury risk / fatigue, but hopefully that's not an issue early in the season.  I do like that the game will have no impact on the NET since Harris Stowe is not D1.

7 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I can see that I suppose.  I can also see the back to back as sort of preparation for the Cancun Tournament back to back and then later the A10 tournament.  

The downside is injury risk / fatigue, but hopefully that's not an issue early in the season.  I do like that the game will have no impact on the NET since Harris Stowe is not D1.

Agreed. I think all 3 of those games are going to be the type (hopefully) where we clear our bench and everybody gets minutes, but the key rotation guys get more familiarity with each other at game speed. 

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

no disrespect, but i have never bought into the fatigue factor of too many games in a row or a short period of time.    practice is typically more taxing than playing the games.   the starters typically play 20-30 minutes with a couple of breaks.   practices are typically 2 hours of hard play.    

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

T. Ford doesn’t normally lie, so it is a pretty interesting statement, and yeah, I would think he is currently a starter.

I would have to see the context of the statement.  Did Rothstein ask whether Hargrove could be the second leading scorer and coach simply agreed that it's possible?  Because if the same question was asked about Nesbitt, Okoro, Jimerson, Williams or Thatch he might have gotten a similar answer.  It depends on who gets off to a good start to the season.  

bauman likes this

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I would have to see the context of the statement.  Did Rothstein ask whether Hargrove could be the second leading scorer and coach simply agreed that it's possible?  Because if the same question was asked about Nesbitt, Okoro, Jimerson, Williams or Thatch he might have gotten a similar answer.  It depends on who gets off to a good start to the season.  

Agreed. Good news is that Hargrove has seen limited minutes early in the past two seasons because he wasn’t up to speed on the playbook and defensive coverages. The fact that Ford is saying anything in pre-season about him being a major contributor suggests to me he’s figured out his role in the team earlier than prior years.

44 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I have no idea if Rothstein is a die hard Bills fan, but if he is not, it would be strange for him to pick out TJ. Most likely, the question was “who besides Perkins stands out” and this probably was Ford’s response. It probably just means that TJ has had some standout play in their summer work. He defends and is an athlete. He can shoot surprisingly well. Wish he could create off a dribble drive more.

7 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I have no idea if Rothstein is a die hard Bills fan, but if he is not, it would be strange for him to pick out TJ. Most likely, the question was “who besides Perkins stands out” and this probably was Ford’s response. It probably just means that TJ has had some standout play in their summer work. He defends and is an athlete. He can shoot surprisingly well. Wish he could create off a dribble drive more.

I can totally see Coach Ford describing TJ as our "X-factor" and Rothstein following up with "could he be your second leading scorer?". Coach  is a very positive guy.  He wouldn't dismiss the possibility out of hand.

Coach just spoke with  Chris May on his podcast and the player that seems to have outperformed expectations is Rashad Williams.  Phil Forte told Zac and Peter the same thing.  I think that's more significant than a hot take from Rothstein.

AnkielBreakers likes this

-nice looking schedule, like the Saturday nights and getting games in before going to Memphis, let's do our part and have the opponents do theirs so that on March 13 it is just a 'where' issue, not an 'if' issue

-I guess the only complaint could be no UMSL to round out the group of Lindenwood, Rockhurst and Harris Stowe 

BilliesBy40 and HoosierPal like this

5 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-nice looking schedule, like the Saturday nights and getting games in before going to Memphis, let's do our part and have the opponents do theirs so that on March 13 it is just a 'where' issue, not an 'if' issue

-I guess the only complaint could be no UMSL to round out the group of Lindenwood, Rockhurst and Harris Stowe 

our own Big (little) 5.

BilliesBy40 and HoosierPal like this

On 8/25/2021 at 6:13 PM, Fan Guy said:

Memphis added #3 Prospect Emoni Bates. That game will definitely be something. 

On 8/25/2021 at 6:27 PM, wgstl said:

Can’t wait to beat them before they gel and go on a run. 

Both 6'9" Bates and 6'10" Duren reclassified to 2021.  They are young.  Bates is 17 (01/28/04).  Duren will also be 17 (11/18/03) when we play them on 11/16.  It's always a significant jump from HS to college.  How quick will these two gel? How well will they be able to handle 6'9" 235 lb Okoro?

39 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Both 6'9" Bates and 6'10" Duren reclassified to 2021.  They are young.  Bates is 17 (01/28/04).  Duren will also be 17 (11/18/03) when we play them on 11/16.  It's always a significant jump from HS to college.  How quick will these two gel? How well will they be able to handle 6'9" 235 lb Okoro?

Bates looks his age and, to your point, will have difficulty adjusting to some of the physicality in D1. He is more of a ball-handler and perimeter player, so don’t expect to see him inside banging with guys like Okoro. One interesting thing about Bates is that he’s too young to go one-and-done, so he will either have to stay in college two years or go overseas or the G-League after his freshman season.

Duren is almost the opposite type of player. He has an NBA-ready body right now and his game is built around power. I’ll be excited to see him match up with Okoro and Linssen.

The one thing that stands out most about Memphis is their size and length. There will be times when their smallest player on the floor is 6’6”. Penny does a good job of using that size to suffocate teams on defense.

Memphis’ weakness this year is similar to what it’s been each of Penny Hardaway’s three seasons. They turn the ball over way too much, and they have never had a good point guard play. If we can speed them up, force them into turnovers and contested twos, and keep them off the offensive glass, we will have a chance for sure.

It’s a shame Jordan and Has never got to play Memphis, because it would have been fun to watch Memphis get served a taste of their own bully ball medicine.

1 hour ago, NH said:

It’s a shame Jordan and Has never got to play Memphis, because it would have been fun to watch Memphis get served a taste of their own bully ball medicine.

This thought came to mind almost immediately when looking at Memphis' roster for this season. Goodwin and French would give up length but give them a rough time. Turnover city.

I expect Bates to have an uneven season. Young and still a bit lean but will show plenty of moments of brilliance because he's an extraordinary talent, can play anywhere at 6-9. Duren is ready to go, as you say. He was too much for BBE in the Peach Jam final. Listed at about 6-10, 230 right now.

Penny’s best recruit might well be Larry Brown. The guy can coach. Kudos to Penny for recognizing his X’s and O’s shortcomings and whatever other coaching skills needed upgrading. Since he’s been at Messphis he’s had talented players but that’s only one part of the equation. Brown may be the other part. 

TheChosenOne and SLU_Lax like this

On 8/27/2021 at 8:33 AM, 3star_recruit said:

I can totally see Coach Ford describing TJ as our "X-factor" and Rothstein following up with "could he be your second leading scorer?". Coach  is a very positive guy.  He wouldn't dismiss the possibility out of hand.

Coach just spoke with  Chris May on his podcast and the player that seems to have outperformed expectations is Rashad Williams.  Phil Forte told Zac and Peter the same thing.  I think that's more significant than a hot take from Rothstein.

I listened to the podcast, and I didn’t hear a reference to Williams, but I heard Coach talk about how TJ has “had a good summer.” Do you know when he talked about RW?

26 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I listened to the podcast, and I didn’t hear a reference to Williams, but I heard Coach talk about how TJ has “had a good summer.” Do you know when he talked about RW?

Sorry, I referenced the wrong podcast.  It was Zac and Peter's podcast starting at the 32:00 mark:

https://anchor.fm/midtownmadnesspod/episodes/Season-2-Episode-1-Featuring-Head-Coach-Travis-Ford-e16afk1