2021-2022 Season

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

They use Nesbitt as "former Memphis benchwarmer", not "top 50 recruit"

I’ve noticed most people (non-Billikens fans) are viewing him that way. Which is weird. But it’s fine with me. Allows him to fly under the radar. 

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I’ve noticed most people (non-Billikens fans) are viewing him that way. Which is weird. But it’s fine with me. Allows him to fly under the radar. 

Okoro too in the sense that they just look at his numbers, and not the fact that 1) he was injured, 2) now playing in a league known for guards, not bigs.

Just now, wgstl said:

Okoro too in the sense that they just look at his numbers, and not the fact that 1) he was injured, 2) now playing in a league known for guards, not bigs.

He lost his father and was hit by a car in the span of a year. But it’s easier for people to look at numbers and ignore context. 

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

This is how we become a "surprise" final four team

Wouldn’t mind sneaking up on a bunch of teams and getting some nice Q1/Q2 wins for a great seed in the dance.

ESPN out with Top 100 form 2022 NBA draft.  Who do we see?  Jalen Duren, C, Memphis (#4).  Jabari Smith, PF/C, Auburn (#7).  Allen Flanigan, SF, Auburn (#19).  Earl Timberlake, SF, Memphis (#23).  Walker Kessler, C, Auburn (#43).  Hyunjung Lee, SF, Davidson (#71).  Osun Osunniyi, C, St. Bonaventure (#72).  I'm a little surprised by Lee's listing and Perkins' absence.  

That Auburn game is going to be one tough mother if these rankings are to be believed.  Might have to come in for that one.

6 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Taj I have 2 free tickets for you for that game if you would like to be our guest.  We sit in section 101 close to Steve.

We bought 2 extra tickets this season because we carried over last years money and we wanted to support the school by purchasing what we normally would have spent in a basketball season.  We will be giving away those seats for free all season.

I may request one this year CBfan. I’m gonna try and make it to the Fetz for a game. 

52 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

ESPN out with Top 100 form 2022 NBA draft.  Who do we see?  Jalen Duren, C, Memphis (#4).  Jabari Smith, PF/C, Auburn (#7).  Allen Flanigan, SF, Auburn (#19).  Earl Timberlake, SF, Memphis (#23).  Walker Kessler, C, Auburn (#43).  Hyunjung Lee, SF, Davidson (#71).  Osun Osunniyi, C, St. Bonaventure (#72).  I'm a little surprised by Lee's listing and Perkins' absence.  

That Auburn game is going to be one tough mother if these rankings are to be believed.  Might have to come in for that one.

It's very tough to make an NBA draft listing if you're a college player over 21.   Younger players are seen as having more upside.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

It's very tough to make an NBA draft listing if you're a college player over 21.   Younger players are seen as having more upside.

Yep.  I'm not sure of their respective ages, but I'm assuming Perkins is around 2 years older than Lee because Perkins will be a 5th year Sr (1st 2 years at JUCO) verses Lee being a junior.

NBA also values shooting a ton.  Lee shot over 44% from 3 last season compared to Perkins 38%.  Career: Lee 41% Perkins 36%.  Similar volume of 3pt shots.  Lee was better from 2, but on a much smaller volume.  They have similar size and would seemingly both project as wing players in the NBA.  Neither is likely going to be a go-to NBA scorer.  I can see why NBA might view Lee as a better 3 & D type wing prospect even if Perkins might be the better all around college player right now.

40 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Yep.  I'm not sure of their respective ages, but I'm assuming Perkins is around 2 years older than Lee because Perkins will be a 5th year Sr (1st 2 years at JUCO) verses Lee being a junior.

NBA also values shooting a ton.  Lee shot over 44% from 3 last season compared to Perkins 38%.  Career: Lee 41% Perkins 36%.  Similar volume of 3pt shots.  Lee was better from 2, but on a much smaller volume.  They have similar size and would seemingly both project as wing players in the NBA.  Neither is likely going to be a go-to NBA scorer.  I can see why NBA might view Lee as a better 3 & D type wing prospect even if Perkins might be the better all around college player right now.

Also important to note is that ESPN's rankings at this point could be wildly off. Lee could theoretically be a 3-and-D guy, but the ESPN writer probably doesn't realize he is terrible at defense. There are a number of guys not on the list (Jordan Hall and Hason Ward, namely) who I wouldn't be surprised if NBA teams rated more highly than Lee or Osun. 

If Javonte goes out there and averages 21, 5 and 4 like I hereby predict he will, then he is going to get a real shot in the league.

brianstl likes this

5 hours ago, slu72 said:

I may request one this year CBfan. I’m gonna try and make it to the Fetz for a game. 

No problem let me know.  

5 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Chris Duarte was drafted #13 by the Pacers at 24 years old.  He is NBA mature, fundamentally sound and will start the year as a key rotational player for the Pacers.  He will be in the starting lineup by mid season.  

It can and does happen.

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Chris Duarte was drafted #13 by the Pacers at 24 years old.  He is NBA mature, fundamentally sound and will start the year as a key rotational player for the Pacers.  He will be in the starting lineup by mid season.  

It can and does happen.

Duarte was the #1 player in juco basketball.  If anybody could beat the odds, he could.  The fact that only a handful of college players over the age of 21 are drafted each year proves how tough it is.

20 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Duarte was the #1 player in juco basketball.  If anybody could beat the odds, he could.  The fact that only a handful of college players over the age of 21 are drafted each year proves how tough it is.

Of the 60 players drafted in this past draft, 15 (25%) were 22 or older.  It happens.

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Of the 60 players drafted in this past draft, 15 (25%) were 22 or older.  It happens.

I only count 12 (20%).  But definitely more than I thought.

1. SACRAMENTO: Davion Mitchell, Baylor, PG, 6-2, Jr., 22
2. INDIANA: Chris Duarte, Oregon, G, 6-6, Sr., 24
3. WASHINGTON: Corey Kispert, Gonzaga, G-F, 6-7, Sr., 22
4. ORLANDO: Jason Preston, Ohio, PG, 6-4, Jr., 22
5. NEW ORLEANS: Herbert Jones, Alabama, F, 6-8, Sr., 22
6. SACRAMENTO: Neemias Queta, Utah State, C, 7-0, Jr., 22
7. SAN ANTONIO: Joe Wieskamp, Iowa, G-F, 6-6, Jr., 22
8. DETROIT: Isaiah Livers, Michigan, F, 6-7, Sr., 23
9. BROOKLYN: Kessler Edwards, Pepperdine, F, 6-8, Jr., 22
10. OKLAHOMA CITY: Aaron Wiggins, Maryland, G, 6-6, Jr., 22
11. NEW YORK: Jericho Sims, Texas, F-C, 6-10, Sr., 22
12. BROOKLYN: RaiQuan Gray, Florida State, F, 6-8, Jr., 22

cool wasn't JP second in JC scoring sophomore year?

I only count 12 (20%).  But definitely more than I thought.

1. SACRAMENTO: Davion Mitchell, Baylor, PG, 6-2, Jr., 22
2. INDIANA: Chris Duarte, Oregon, G, 6-6, Sr., 24
3. WASHINGTON: Corey Kispert, Gonzaga, G-F, 6-7, Sr., 22
4. ORLANDO: Jason Preston, Ohio, PG, 6-4, Jr., 22
5. NEW ORLEANS: Herbert Jones, Alabama, F, 6-8, Sr., 22
6. SACRAMENTO: Neemias Queta, Utah State, C, 7-0, Jr., 22
7. SAN ANTONIO: Joe Wieskamp, Iowa, G-F, 6-6, Jr., 22
8. DETROIT: Isaiah Livers, Michigan, F, 6-7, Sr., 23
9. BROOKLYN: Kessler Edwards, Pepperdine, F, 6-8, Jr., 22
10. OKLAHOMA CITY: Aaron Wiggins, Maryland, G, 6-6, Jr., 22
11. NEW YORK: Jericho Sims, Texas, F-C, 6-10, Sr., 22
12. BROOKLYN: RaiQuan Gray, Florida State, F, 6-8, Jr., 22

Per my resource, Edwards is 21

Add Zegarowski, Garza, Mamukelashvili and Kalaitzakis

45 minutes ago, thetorch said:

The NBA is reeling back a bit on drafting all the 19 year olds. If we see more crash and burn kids this season there will be even more older players drafted.

Especially when you're drafting in the range where you know the player is probably going to be a role player. No point in targeting someone with "potential" if you're looking for a Joe Wieskamp or Jason Preston type who will be a bench player right away.