2021-2022 Season

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, almaman said:

https://hogsfly.com/order/2-slabs-of-ribs/

have by the weekend! I did this 20 years ago and was just about as tasty as being there.

oh i agree.   but you cant replace the atomosphere.   nothing beer than ribs and pitcher of ice cold draft michelob or that sweet tea they have.   just the memory of walking down the alley and then down the steps revs me up.   my favorite rib joint.   

brianstl and almaman like this

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

oh i agree.   but you cant replace the atomosphere.   nothing beer than ribs and pitcher of ice cold draft michelob or that sweet tea they have.   just the memory of walking down the alley and then down the steps revs me up.   my favorite rib joint.   

Believe I may have run into you there before the 2005 Conference USA tournament in Memphis. Not to be confused with the pre-tourney rib dinners at Montgomery Inn back in the Xavier/Cincy days. Whether or not CUSA was overrated/underrated, the barbecue was definitely a step-up from the current A-10.

34 minutes ago, NH said:

Believe I may have run into you there before the 2005 Conference USA tournament in Memphis. Not to be confused with the pre-tourney rib dinners at Montgomery Inn back in the Xavier/Cincy days. Whether or not CUSA was overrated/underrated, the barbecue was definitely a step-up from the current A-10.

Ever since the SuperSmoker beginnings we have been able to hold our own in BBQ greatness imo.

slufanskip likes this

I really wish the folks that schedule would take into consideration a road trip distance game on the weekend every season.  Maybe they did, and it just couldn't work out.

I was really looking forward to road tripping to Memphis to recreate an epic trip me and some of my guys took in 95.  Did the entire thing in one day.  Got up, drove to Memphis, did Graceland, did Rendezvous, went to the game, cheered the Bills all the way through a tough overtime loss, mooned the pyramid from the car on the way across the bridge into Arkansas, and drove home.  Think we left at like 7:00 a.m. and got back around 3:00 a.m.

HoosierPal likes this

2 hours ago, NH said:

Hahaha

You are right there.  Add in Mader's in Milwaukee, a dozen places in Chicago, mark's feedstore in louisville, yes food was great in the nearby cities for Cusa 

3 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

I mean he's got a sick coaching staff for pictures, no denying that.. He'll continue to waste talent though.

That may change with Larry Brown Memphis should be really good and a good opponent for the Billiken’s.

7 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I think Larry Brown will quit after two months, in a scandal.

i'm a larry brown hater because of the way he used (or didnr use) larry hughes as a sixer.  so  i welcome a scandalous exit by brown

I haven’t seen this posted anywhere, so I thought I would. They have us as the #75 in the country. They don’t give us much of a chance against Memphis or @Bona, but every other game they either have us favored, or have it as reasonably winnable. The problem I have with this write-up their minutes break down. There’s a 0% chance that Nesbitt plays less than 30% of the minutes, almost half of Rashad Williams minutes. That’s just not gonna happen. I also don’t see TJ playing less than 15% of the minutes or Gibson playing over 70% of the minutes. 

https://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Saint+Louis&year=2022

4 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I haven’t seen this posted anywhere, so I thought I would. They have us as the #75 in the country. They don’t give us much of a chance against Memphis or @Bona, but every other game they either have us favored, or have it as reasonably winnable. The problem I have with this write-up their minutes break down. There’s a 0% chance that Nesbitt plays less than 30% of the minutes, almost half of Rashad Williams minutes. That’s just not gonna happen. I also don’t see TJ playing less than 15% of the minutes or Gibson playing over 70% of the minutes. 

T-Rank is an awesome site and alternative model to kenpom, but their early season stuff isn’t something that can be reliable since there isn’t a ton of data available. Give that site 4 or 5 games and stuff starts to normalize. 

5 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Interestingly, they have Rhode Island over Dayton. Their top 6 in the A10 are:

1-Bona

2-Richmond 

3-VCU

4-Bills

5-Rhodey

6-Dayton

1 minute ago, johnbj14 said:

T-Rank is an awesome site and alternative model to kenpom, but their early season stuff isn’t something that can be reliable since there isn’t a ton of data available. Give that site 4 or 5 games and stuff starts to normalize. 

Oh for sure. I take pretty much all preseason stuff with a huge grain of salt. Just interesting to see how people see us right now. 

24 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

No one's early season stuff is reliable.  Pistol is as good as you're gonna get.

Reinert310 likes this

While a few more games are needed to fill out our home schedule, so far it looks like our OOC schedule is our toughest in many years.  Using the top 144 website, it seems like we will have 8 OOC games against top 129 teams.  So far the following are ranked:

Mercer (H)  129;

Buffalo (N)    87

Boise St.  (A)    80

I certainly could be wrong but I think the following OOC  opponents will come in above #80----Belmont (H), Drake (N), Auburn (H), UAB (H), Memphis (A).  What's not on the schedule is what the Selection Committee would consider a signature win, with the exception of Memphis (A).

Tough road ahead

2 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

These numbers are kind of fun to play with.  Yea, I know they are guesses, yada yada, but what else is there to look at today.

The 10 rotational players they list combine for about 73 ppg.  Add the those buried on the bench, and I'll raise it to 75 ppg.  Last season we averaged 75 ppg, so no movement from that total.  Perkins and Jimerson are listed as the only double digit scorers with Collins just under.  

Rebounds are different.  These 10 add up to 31.5 rpg, add some from those not in the rotation, and I'll raise it to 32 rpg.  Last season we averaged 38.6 rpg, so that to me is a big decrease and one that better not come true or we have a problem.   Okoro at 6.6 rpg and Thatch at 6.1 rpg; interesting.

32 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

These numbers are kind of fun to play with.  Yea, I know they are guesses, yada yada, but what else is there to look at today.

The 10 rotational players they list combine for about 73 ppg.  Add the those buried on the bench, and I'll raise it to 75 ppg.  Last season we averaged 75 ppg, so no movement from that total.  Perkins and Jimerson are listed as the only double digit scorers with Collins just under.  

Rebounds are different.  These 10 add up to 31.5 rpg, add some from those not in the rotation, and I'll raise it to 32 rpg.  Last season we averaged 38.6 rpg, so that to me is a big decrease and one that better not come true or we have a problem.   Okoro at 6.6 rpg and Thatch at 6.1 rpg; interesting.

I wouldn’t be surprised if our rebounds go down some, but how much,  who knows. Losing JGood and Has, there’s going to be some automatic regression there. Another thing is, I (and maybe I’m the only one. Not sure.) expect us to be more efficient offensively this year. The past few years, there were a lot of possessions where we’d get 3, 4, 5 offensive rebounds in one possession. As excellent as JGood and French were, they had a tendency to resort to hero ball and force up bad shots, especially when things weren’t going well. My hope is our offensive efficiency numbers will go up, so all those offensive boards won’t be necessary.

Zink and dennis_w like this

1 hour ago, bauman said:

While a few more games are needed to fill out our home schedule, so far it looks like our OOC schedule is our toughest in many years.  Using the top 144 website, it seems like we will have 8 OOC games against top 129 teams.  So far the following are ranked:

Mercer (H)  129;

Buffalo (N)    87

Boise St.  (A)    80

I certainly could be wrong but I think the following OOC  opponents will come in above #80----Belmont (H), Drake (N), Auburn (H), UAB (H), Memphis (A).  What's not on the schedule is what the Selection Committee would consider a signature win, with the exception of Memphis (A).

Tough road ahead

I looked at last season's NET ranking for each of our OOC's and using that dated metric, we have 3 Q1 games, 3 Q2 games, and 5 Q3/Q4 games.  A split in the Q1/Q2 games would be decent, as long as it isn't 0-3 and 3-0.  (I'm assuming we play Buffalo and not SFA in the second game of the tourney.)  4-2 seems to be very reasonable...Memphis will be very tough and Boise State away or Auburn home could be intense battles. 

(UAB is a Q3 based on last season, and one of the 5 Q3/Q4 games, but I'm expecting them to be Q2 this season.)

I assume the remaining unknown games will be Q3/Q4.  We would know about a decent matchup by now.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I looked at last season's NET ranking for each of our OOC's and using that dated metric, we have 3 Q1 games, 3 Q2 games, and 5 Q3/Q4 games.  A split in the Q1/Q2 games would be decent, as long as it isn't 0-3 and 3-0.  (I'm assuming we play Buffalo and not SFA in the second game of the tourney.)  4-2 seems to be very reasonable...Memphis will be very tough and Boise State away or Auburn home could be intense battles. 

(UAB is a Q3 based on last season, and one of the 5 Q3/Q4 games, but I'm expecting them to be Q2 this season.)

I assume the remaining unknown games will be Q3/Q4.  We would know about a decent matchup by now.

Sean knows his stuff. He’s very high on UAB. Should be a Quad 2.

On 8/23/2021 at 9:38 AM, Reinert310 said:

They use Nesbitt as "former Memphis benchwarmer", not "top 50 recruit"

3star_recruit likes this