2021-2022 Season

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Can you children take your Covid posts over to Facebook or to a Post Dispatch forum?  Many here would greatly appreciate you taking your positions, whatever they may be, elsewhere.

Thank you. 

Out of reactions. Good post.

5 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Since this thing has gone off the rails anyways, I'll post this.  O'Connell's Pub was awesome before, but even better now!  Their staff is fully vaxxed and they are requiring anyone over 12 to be vaxxed to eat there.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=4155705801132181&id=111690412200427

Nice job of sticking to basketball...isn't that what your advice to me was? So typical of the rules for thee not for me crowd? 🤣🤣

5 minutes ago, Old guy said:

There is no need to be offended, just place every one of the people you find objectionable in the ignore list and move on.

Lol...in theory, that's great advice. It's my experience, though, that guys who claim they have you on ignore are always the first to comment/react. I guess they just can't help themselves. 🤣🤣

9 hours ago, HenryB said:

Lol...in theory, that's great advice. It's my experience, though, that guys who claim they have you on ignore are always the first to comment/react. I guess they just can't help themselves. 🤣🤣

Well, that may be true but if you do not read what they say, what do you care what they think?

18 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Can you children take your Covid posts over to Facebook or to a Post Dispatch forum?  Many here would greatly appreciate you taking your positions, whatever they may be, elsewhere.

Thank you. 

I have to disagree - since Covid played a significant role in our season last year and may again this year, the discussion of it is an appropriate topic on the board.  

3 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I have to disagree - since Covid played a significant role in our season last year and may again this year, the discussion of it is an appropriate topic on the board.  

But certainly not in the exhausting way it is happening currently

3 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I agree, and I remember saying this last year. It's the largest external factor driving decisions in every facet of life. We can't ignore it.

It also doesn't have to be political. Never did.

(Also doesn't have to be annoying.)

RUBillsFan likes this

18 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

14 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

But certainly not in the exhausting way it is happening currently

Can we set a rule: the Covid discussion will be allowed AFTER it has some effect on the ‘21-‘22 season…not before. As far as we know, everything is moving forward as normal right now. Speculation and arguing with each other when nothing has even happened yet is pointless. We can cross that bridge if/when we get to it. I’m not trying to be a jerk. I’m not trying to boss anyone around. I completely understand that pretty much everyone has strong opinions on the subject, myself included. But there’s a time and place for it. And this ain’t it.

billiken_roy likes this

42 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Can we set a rule: the Covid discussion will be allowed AFTER it has some effect on the ‘21-‘22 season…not before. As far as we know, everything is moving forward as normal right now. Speculation and arguing with each other when nothing has even happened yet is pointless. We can cross that bridge if/when we get to it. I’m not trying to be a jerk. I’m not trying to boss anyone around. I completely understand that pretty much everyone has strong opinions on the subject, myself included. But there’s a time and place for it. And this ain’t it.

As we did last year, there just needs to be a thread dedicated to the covid discussion. I actually think it's very relevant to our season, even right now, but clogging up existing threads isn't the approach. 

BilliesBy40 and AGB91 like this

18 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

As we did last year, there just needs to be a thread dedicated to the covid discussion. I actually think it's very relevant to our season, even right now, but clogging up existing threads isn't the approach. 

Yeah because that worked out so well last time… Yes, COVID can be relevant to the Bills but arguing about the politics behind it is irrelevant. And it’s clearly impossible to discuss anything related to the virus without political arguments around here.

Reinert310 likes this

5 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

Instances COVID is a relevant topic:

1) A10 announces a stance like NFL where missed games are forfeited

2) SLU has active covid cases in basketball program

3) See 1 and 2

Otherwise, let's keep it to basketball until this impacts basketball.

I understand the frustration, but we speculate about all kinds of stuff regarding the basketball program (recruiting, transfers, conference realignment, lineups, etc.) without official news.  I don't know why we shouldn't speculate about how COVID might impact the upcoming season.  The reason we don't is that the conspiracy theory / "politics" trolls pop out of the woodwork and throw the board into chaos.  These guys rarely / never have input otherwise.  

Here is my speculation:

1. if COVID cases & hospitalizations continue the current upward trend, there will be limited capacity / no fans allowed at games again.  I'm already assuming masks will be required at games.  People may / may not agree with that and I'm not saying it is the "correct" political move, but if hospitals are at / near capacity City officials will very likely do something along those lines.  There isn't much debate about the political leanings of the City of St. Louis.
  2. The higher the rate of COVID spread, the more likely it is SLU or opponent players miss games due to testing positive and/or games being cancelled again.  Again, you may / may not agree with entire games being cancelled or quarantines, but I suspect COVID positive individuals will not be allowed to play and unvaccinated close contacts will have to quarantine.  We've seen that in other sports already.

Not speculation - vaccinations are proven to be safe and the most effective means of preventing COVID.  They aren't 100% effective, but every single person in / around St. Louis who can get vaccinated getting vaccinated helps towards there being a "normal" SLU basketball season / rendering my speculation above moot. 

If you are SLU fan - do your part and get vaccinated.  Don't spread unfounded garbage about them not being safe or effective because you read about it on some conspiracy website.  As I said before, talk to your doctor about vaccines, don't read stuff online!

Aside: The impact on my (under age 12) kids schooling is actually what has me so worked up about this stuff, but I assume you all don't care about that & the impact on Billiken basketball is of more interest.

8 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I understand the frustration, but we speculate about all kinds of stuff regarding the basketball program (recruiting, transfers, conference realignment, lineups, etc.) without official news.  I don't know why we shouldn't speculate about how COVID might impact the upcoming season.  The reason we don't is that the conspiracy theory / "politics" trolls pop out of the woodwork and throw the board into chaos.  These guys rarely / never have input otherwise.  

Here is my speculation:

1. if COVID cases & hospitalizations continue the current upward trend, there will be limited capacity / no fans allowed at games again.  I'm already assuming masks will be required at games.  People may / may not agree with that and I'm not saying it is the "correct" political move, but if hospitals are at / near capacity City officials will very likely do something along those lines.  There isn't much debate about the political leanings of the City of St. Louis.
  2. The higher the rate of COVID spread, the more likely it is SLU or opponent players miss games due to testing positive and/or games being cancelled again.  Again, you may / may not agree with entire games being cancelled or quarantines, but I suspect COVID positive individuals will not be allowed to play and unvaccinated close contacts will have to quarantine.  We've seen that in other sports already.

Not speculation - vaccinations are proven to be safe and the most effective means of preventing COVID.  They aren't 100% effective, but every single person in / around St. Louis who can get vaccinated getting vaccinated helps towards there being a "normal" SLU basketball season / rendering my speculation above moot. 

If you are SLU fan - do your part and get vaccinated.  Don't spread unfounded garbage about them not being safe or effective because you read about it on some conspiracy website.  As I said before, talk to your doctor about vaccines, don't read stuff online!

Aside: The impact on my (under age 12) kids schooling is actually what has me so worked up about this stuff, but I assume you all don't care about that & the impact on Billiken basketball is of more interest.

Out of reactions, excellent post.

6 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Here is my speculation:

The answer is obvious why speculating about Covid would be different. More than 1 true Billiken fan stopped posting here for good last year when that thread was still open. There were very disturbing personal insults, does discussing and speculating about Covid here change ANYTHING? Do you really think a discussion on this board is going to convince anybody to get vaccinated? Is it going to convince anybody that they shouldn’t get vaccinated? Is it going to effect the policies of SLU, the A10 or the NCAA one iota? If not, then what exactly is the point of having a Covid discussion on this board? Especially since we all already know how it’s going to end? You guys can’t help yourselves? Fine. I’ll be taking a break from the board until closer to the start of the season. I have no interest in seeing that crap day in and day out.

thetorch likes this