2021-2022 Season

15 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

That's your choice.  I'm sitting here at my desk in a mask because the only people more frustrating than your ilk are the power-mad cowards in power forcing me to wear this pretty much useless thing.  

If you wear a Billiken mask it will make it all right. 

RUBillsFan and wgstl like this

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

i didnt know someone else could edit my post. i did not insert "and make". of course jimerson should never miss a shot, that goes without saying. that is why i didnt put that in my post

i was j/k dennis_w.   😁

dennis_w likes this

my thoughts on nesbit is that if he was all that many of you are making him to be right now then why did penny waste him last year?   yes they have lots of talent, but our talent is not that much below memphis.   it seems to me, particularly with a free year with the virus and all, penny would have utilized him more than he did.   

not saying he isnt good now and will be even better now, but i am reluctant to make him a major player yet when we havent seen him at the collegiate level yet.   i expect he will play.  but i will be surprised if he will be larry hughes from day one. 

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

my thoughts on nesbit is that if he was all that many of you are making him to be right now then why did penny waste him last year?   yes they have lots of talent, but our talent is not that much below memphis.   it seems to me, particularly with a free year with the virus and all, penny would have utilized him more than he did.   

not saying he isnt good now and will be even better now, but i am reluctant to make him a major player yet when we havent seen him at the collegiate level yet.   i expect he will play.  but i will be surprised if he will be larry hughes from day one. 

Im with you on this, I think he'll be a big part of our 8 deep line up, but I'm not sure if I'm including him in the top 5 or 6 yet.

15 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

And not getting vaccinated shouldn’t be either...  sad, that we can’t respect everyone’s choice... I’ve personally been vaccinated, but would never call someone who isn’t an idiot... 

good 4 u but they r. so r folks who don't where seat belts, drive drunk, not come in from the rain, walk in traffic. One's opinion not relevant when dealing with FACTS. my opinion may be that 2+2=5 but it doesn't & if I argue it is I am an idiot. It's really that simple. IMO Making it political is usually claimed by the fact fearing "I've got an opinion" folks.

11 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I really do not know how much Nesbitt will contribute this year, but I do think you can throw away Nesbitt's year at Memphis. He didn't join their team until the season was 2/3rds finished. Memphis was 14-3 after he joined, with the #1 defense in the country. It would have taken something crazy for the Memphis coach to bench one of the rotation guards in favor of a underage freshman who was still learning the plays, system, etc.

bauman likes this

8 minutes ago, almaman said:

good 4 u but they r. so r folks who don't where seat belts, drive drunk, not come in from the rain, walk in traffic. One's opinion not relevant when dealing with FACTS. my opinion may be that 2+2=5 but it doesn't & if I argue it is I am an idiot. It's really that simple. IMO Making it political is usually claimed by the fact fearing "I've got an opinion" folks.

What facts, are you seriously saying no one who has had the vaccine hasn’t had serious medical complications??? If you are, then you’re the idiot. There have been scores of healthy young individuals who have suffered heart issues after taking the vaccine. Calling someone an idiot for being concerned about this and other factors, is irresponsible and misinformed. Age and health are reasonable factors to be considered when deciding your choice. Some would  call it idiotic to make a guinea pig of a young child by giving them an unproven vaccine, when they would only have a microscopic chance of having serious harm from a virus. 

25 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

He came in second semester.  Even extremely talented players need time to acclimate and learn the system and plays.  Memphis was what 10 games into the season when he arrived?  That is likely the main reason why he sat.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Yes, it is.  Penny's wasting of top 60 players in his tenure has truly been a sight to behold.  

Penny absolutely wasted Nesbitt. I don't think he expected him to show up mid-season and was counting on him showing up this summer. He already had big-time talent being underplayed.

His approach so far has been to go get as many talented players as he can and let the cream rise to the top. The problem with this strategy is that it's boom or bust, and you wind up with malcontents. For every big wave of players coming in, you get one going out, and sometimes the outbound group is even larger, between guys going pro and guys transferring. It's something he's going to have to figure out over time if he's going to stay in the college game. You can't have a roster full of top-100 recruits playing in the NIT every season.

Back to Nesbitt, he didn't come here to sit on the bench. I expect him to be a starter.

AGB91 likes this

16 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I miss my home of nearly 50 years (St. Louis), but this is where God has led me.  I'm settled.  I've found someone willing to marry me!  That's one of C-land's redeeming qualities!

They consider a 90-degree day very hot here.  But lake-effect snow makes it The Mistake by the Lake.

that is awesome.   congrats!

11 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Penny absolutely wasted Nesbitt. I don't think he expected him to show up mid-season and was counting on him showing up this summer. He already had big-time talent being underplayed.

His approach so far has been to go get as many talented players as he can and let the cream rise to the top. The problem with this strategy is that it's boom or bust, and you wind up with malcontents. For every big wave of players coming in, you get one going out, and sometimes the outbound group is even larger, between guys going pro and guys transferring. It's something he's going to have to figure out over time if he's going to stay in the college game. You can't have a roster full of top-100 recruits playing in the NIT every season.

Back to Nesbitt, he didn't come here to sit on the bench. I expect him to be a starter.

I don't really get how Penny wasted Nesbitt? Penny made it clear when Nesbitt arrived that he wouldn't be expected to play, but that it was a development opportunity. Nesbitt then had some maturity issues and it was mutually decided that it may be better if Nesbitt found a better fit. 

Penny's approach so far has led to the Memphis program being improved from where it was when he took over, and poised to be really good this upcoming season. This board's fascination with criticizing his program building is a bit confusing to me. 

There are legitimate medical reasons some people cannot get the vaccine.  if you fall into that group, you are not an idiot.  These people need the rest of us to get the vaccine, so they can have any hope of going about their lives normally.

Children under 12 cannot get the vaccine yet.  They aren't idiots.

I believe there are some legitimate religious reasons some people will not get the vaccine.  Although this group is very limited based on my understanding as most religious either don't expressly forbid vaccines or actively encourage them.  I think these people should strongly evaluate their choices, but I cannot necessarily call them idiots.  As I Catholic I've done my research and am assured that I have no legit religious grounds to not take the vaccine.  In fact, I believe that my Faith requires me to get the vaccine as a way to protect / help others who cannot for medical reasons, who are too young to be vaccinated, who may be susceptible to serious / deadly breakthrough cases due to other medical problems, and even to protect those idiots who ignorantly choose to not get vaccinated.  Jesus didn't add the caveat "unless he's an idiot" to "love your neighbor as yourself", right?

Every other excuse I've heard for not taking the vaccine is bogus IMO.  If you don't fall into the above groups and aren't getting the vaccine, you are an idiot IMO.  This is not a political argument, but rather a matter public health.  I'm against a blanket mandate of vaccines because people should have their own personal choice, but I'm all for allowing employers (including the government) to mandate vaccines as a condition of employment, for schools to mandate vaccines (for those over 12 for now) as a condition of in-person attendance, and for businesses / events to mandate vaccines for customers / patrons.  A person choosing not to be vaccinated is putting public health at risk and they shouldn't be entitled all of the societal benefits that the rest of us have.  You wanna be unvaccinated and live as a hermit, that's your call.  Vaccinated folks really should be pushing for these types of vaccine requirements to be put in place & talking with their wallets instead of complaining about mask mandates.

If you are opposed to getting or on the fence about the vaccine, don't read a F*CKING basketball message board about it (or anything else on the internet or TV).  Go talk to your doctor.  If you don't have a doctor, go get one & talk to them about it.

24 minutes ago, NH said:

I don't really get how Penny wasted Nesbitt? Penny made it clear when Nesbitt arrived that he wouldn't be expected to play, but that it was a development opportunity. Nesbitt then had some maturity issues and it was mutually decided that it may be better if Nesbitt found a better fit. 

Penny's approach so far has led to the Memphis program being improved from where it was when he took over, and poised to be really good this upcoming season. This board's fascination with criticizing his program building is a bit confusing to me. 

I'm not sure why you're confused.  Penny's team plays in a conference where he has an overwhelming talent advantage, has been ranked in the preseason top 15 only to play at an NIT level year after year.  His roster is almost entirely 4 star recruits.  How much talent does the guy need to make an NCAA tournament?

CBFan likes this

16 hours ago, Compton said:

Posting these @Pistol posts for easier reference: 

Pairings for the upcoming season have been announced by Rothstein:

Home: Dayton, La Salle, UMass, Richmond, St. Bonaventure, Fordham, GW, St. Joe's, VCU.

Away: Dayton, La Salle, UMass, Richmond, St. Bonaventure, Davidson, Duquesne, George Mason, Rhode Island.

Non-conference schedule, updated:

11/20 vs. Mercer
11/23 vs. Illinois State in Cancun
11/24 vs. Buffalo/SFA in Cancun
11/30 at Boise State
12/18 vs. Auburn
12/22 vs. Drake in Las Vegas
TBA vs. Belmont
TBA vs. UAB
TBA vs. Boston College
TBA @ Memphis

We haven't played Duquesne on the road on a weekend in years.  I keep watching the schedule to see if it will happen so that I can bring my group on a roadtrip there, but it never does.

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm not sure why you're confused.  Penny's team plays in a conference where he has an overwhelming talent advantage, has been ranked in the preseason top 15 only to play at an NIT level year after year.  His roster is almost entirely 4 star recruits.  How much talent does the guy need to make an NCAA tournament?

He's been ranked in the preseason once, which is the year his best player ended up only playing 3 games.

I'm not confused with the results, I am just confused why so many Billikens fans seem to care. He's had very good talent, and good but not great teams. He is respected in the basketball coaching community. His school and fanbase is generally happy with the direction he has the program headed in. We'll see if that continues. 

1 minute ago, NH said:

He's been ranked in the preseason once, which is the year his best player ended up only playing 3 games.

I'm not confused with the results, I am just confused why so many Billikens fans seem to care. He's had very good talent, and good but not great teams. He is respected in the basketball coaching community. His school and fanbase is generally happy with the direction he has the program headed in. We'll see if that continues. 

Some folks here already question Coach Ford's coaching ability.  Could you imagine the roasting he would get if he was bringing in top 15 classes every year only to top out at the NIT?

RUBillsFan likes this

8 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

willie i am sorry, but i can respect folks who dont feel comfortable with taking the vaccine.   i got the shots as soon as possible, but you have to admit there is no long range statistics or testing so at this point in time the "science" is without a doubt limited and knowing for sure what will happen to those of us that took the shots is a "shot" in the dark.   so if an individual doesnt want to get the shot which obviously is effective at least short term imo it is their choice and i will respect that choice.   i dont think any politician or even a "doctor" who really doesnt have the complete statistics to say for sure can mandate anyone is required to get the shots.

So Roy, not to pick on you, because others have commented similarly, but I had to throw in on this.  My mother worked in the vaccine research center at SLU for many years.  At one point, that department was responsible for something like 60% of the research grant money coming into SLU.  She knows exactly what goes into vaccines.  There are no chemicals or other potentially harmful agents.  It's all pretty much organic ingredients.  Almost all vaccines are 98% the same stuff.  So, yes, it has been tested and tested and tested for decades.  The ingredients that are different are not harmful either.  These are just antigens which make the vaccine effective for the disease you are trying to prevent.  People who are worried about a vaccine harming them in some way should be much more concerned about food that they put into their bodies without knowing exactly what's in it rather than being worried about a vaccine.  The biggest danger with vaccines comes to those who have egg allergies.  Everyone else should be perfectly fine.

4 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

In the case of Yuri, there's no one to cut bait to.  He's the best point guard we have, and it's not even close.  And Fred has already shown the advancement that you're talking about.  He averaged 7 ppg in only 18 min a game during conference , shooting 45% from the floor and 83% from the line.  If you play him 26 min, that projects to a double figure scorer.  

And while he had a horrible case of foul-itis in the NIT game, Fred only averaged 1.7 fouls per game in conference.

While I agree, I would also like to see what Nesbitt can do at the PG position.