2021-2022 Season

Open up your eyes, read the news (other than basketball or sports news) and you will find there is new mask mandates and new talk about lockdowns and vaccines. I am not trying to predict the future but I am not blind as to what is going on around me either. This coming season is most likely going to be impacted by Covid like the last one was, although not necessarily in the same way. Last year SLU's game really took a steep dip after the 23 day quarantine, what will happen this year is anyone's guess. I am not optimistic about this coming season.

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be so quick to agree Collins is one of four who can hit the three WITH CONSISTENCY.  Collins was 11 of 30 his freshman year, then 7 of 29 last year.  The only guy on the team that shot less of a percentage was Phil Russell (anyone with attempts).  

Collins MUST be a scoring option this year.  It's his third year, time to shine.  I don't care if its threes or drives to the hoop or stop-n-pops.  He MUST add something to keep the defenses honest or its four-on-five all over again.  Lofton scores.  Gilyard scores.  Carry scored.  Crutcher scored.  Jett scored.  Mitchell scored.  Hines did not.  Polk did not.  Plus Yuri will likely be there at the end of games and needs to improve his FT percentages as well.  Maybe it was bum wrists for two years, I don't know.  We have the quintessential PG ... he has to elevate his game to make this all work however.

CBFan likes this

22 minutes ago, ACE said:

I think most can agree the top four: Collins, Perkins, Okoro and Nesbitt. I think the final starting spot is between Thatch and Hargrove. I think GJ is best coming off the bench.

This is how I see it too.

I would also be willing to bet the starting lineup on game 1 isn’t the same as game 10 and  that starting lineup won’t be the same as game 20.

3 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Open up your eyes, read the news (other than basketball or sports news) and you will find there is new mask mandates and new talk about lockdowns and vaccines. I am not trying to predict the future but I am not blind as to what is going on around me either. This coming season is most likely going to be impacted by Covid like the last one was, although not necessarily in the same way. Last year SLU's game really took a steep dip after the 23 day quarantine, what will happen this year is anyone's guess. I am not optimistic about this coming season.

I will predict the future. The surge will be over by October one way or the other. Either the idiots will get vaccinated or they will get infected . One way or the other there will be some type of herd immunity. 

Billiken Rich likes this

COVID is a valid concern. If for nothing else than the fact the fed has no clue what it is doing and keeps changing the rules and advisories.  Currently, the CDC changed its "high" rating on countries showing 500 new cases per 100,000 people.  That's .005 percent or one half of one percent which now pushes you into a "high" rating.  Really?  That's a rather small risk as opposed to "high" if you ask me.

At least we have almost three months until the season kicks off.

Old guy likes this

50 minutes ago, ACE said:

I think most can agree the top four: Collins, Perkins, Okoro and Nesbitt. I think the final starting spot is between Thatch and Hargrove. I think GJ is best coming off the bench.

1. Collins

2. Jimerson

3. Thatch

4. Perkins

5. Okoro

Hargrove, Linssen, and Nesbitt first off the bench.

I'll be interested if Ford does more of a "wave" with subs with year. I could see a few bench guys playing a lot of minutes together, ie the trio or Fred - TJ - Williams

49 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If Nesbitt comes off the bench, that lasts no more than 2 weeks.  He's one of the most talented recruits ever to put on a SLU uniform.

I don’t know. That may be the case, but it is hard to say. He has to beat out two Effective Juniors (Thatch and Gibson) to be the starting 2, or be more effective than Hargrove, and take minutes as the 3 (Pushing Perkins to the 4). I don’t think he is a stretch 4 defender right now. Since he was a good rebounder in HS, he has a leg up on Hargrove, but not Thatch. It will be interesting to watch who gets the nod.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

He's one of the most talented recruits ever to put on a SLU uniform.

This may be so, but doesn't mean he's ready, or will be ready at some point soon.  Its a lot to ask for a new player to surpass Fred as a frosh. 

2 hours ago, willie said:

I will predict the future. The surge will be over by October one way or the other. Either the idiots will get vaccinated or they will get infected . One way or the other there will be some type of herd immunity. 

It’s always the same crowd who has to throw out the insults... 

dennis_w likes this

This board always gets bogged down with who starts.  I'll go with who gets the minutes every time, particularly the closing minutes of a close game.  With Goodwin and French's minutes up for grabs, which 2 to 4 players gets those minutes is most important.

Nesbitt will play, and his minutes will depend on how well he defends.  Ford has a high standard on D.  We have a handful of players that could average double digit points, Nesbitt being one of them.  The divider on minutes will be how well they defend and rebound. 

We have a big hole on the boards to fill with Goodwin and French gone.  Okoro by himself won't make up the difference.  Perkins will get his share, but expecting him to average 7 to 9 boards per game is a reach.  Thatch has shown the strength and desire to rebound, but he can't stay out of foul trouble.  It will be interesting.

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Thatch is starting.  He was the best player on the team after they returned from COVID.  

I expect a starting line-up of Collins, Nesbitt, Thatch, Perkins and Okoro.  

Jimerson and Linssen the first two off the bench.  Hargrove and the transfers round out the rotation.

Thatch is the 6th man.  Hargrove or Jimerson starts.  If his shooting is as good as advertised this Summer, Hargrove takes it.  If Jimerson puts on 10 lbs of muscle this Summer he may swipe the starting spot.  Love Fred, but he can get just as many minutes off the bench to put a "clamp" on the other team defensively.  But Fred's shooting, especially from 3 is what will put him in that off the bench slot.

I need this schedule to be finalized so I can plan some travel.   I have 18 DEC vs Auburn circled. 

Anyone up for a trip to Olean?  If I go I'll probably visit Pittsburgh and drive.

Maybe George Mason if things line up with work to cover a trip east.

Memphis could be cool.

Where's the conference tournament this year?

5 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Thatch is the 6th man.  Hargrove or Jimerson starts.  If his shooting is as good as advertised this Summer, Hargrove takes it.  If Jimerson puts on 10 lbs of muscle this Summer he may swipe the starting spot.  Love Fred, but he can get just as many minutes off the bench to put a "clamp" on the other team defensively.  But Fred's shooting, especially from 3 is what will put him in that off the bench slot.

Who had the best 3 point shooting percentage on the team on last season's conference games?  Fred Thatch at 40% is the answer.

Dr. Holly Hills likes this

59 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

It’s always the same crowd who has to throw out the insults... 

And you literally never post on this board anymore unless somebody says something politically that you don’t like, so you can play the victim. Goes both ways.

4 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

How about we don't bog down the entire board with this back and forth? If you see something you don't like, move on and block the person. No need for politics here.

i suppose you could have moved on and blocked me. you chose to respond. i did not mention politics, i mentioned insulting remarks. move on ignore