2021-2022 Season

36 minutes ago, Wendelprof said:

I wouldn't read too much into last year.  Once covid hit the team it is logical to assume everyone's athleticism took a hit.  Trying to run a team out of the gym after covid hit our team so hard - wasn't going to happen.  I give Ford a "pass" on last year (hell, I give everyone a "pass" on last year).  Most everyone was doing their best just to get through the year.

I'm not sure what a "pass for Ford" is all about. 

Last four seasons (20-21 already recapped - 9 plus Bell with 8.8 mpg)

17-18, 7 players with double digit minutes plus Anthony played in 32 games at 7.8 mpg (I count 8 in rotation.)

18-19, 8 players with double digit minutes

19-20, 10 players with double digit minutes, including Thatch with 9 games and Jimerson with 10 games due to injuries.

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I'm not sure what a "pass for Ford" is all about. 

Last four seasons (20-21 already recapped - 9 plus Bell with 8.8 mpg)

17-18, 7 players with double digit minutes plus Anthony played in 32 games at 7.8 mpg (I count 8 in rotation.)

18-19, 8 players with double digit minutes

19-20, 10 players with double digit minutes, including Thatch with 9 games and Jimerson with 10 games due to injuries.

I was replying to Roy's post where he wrote:  "however when we didnt take advantage of that athleticism last year, that sealed it for me.   aint never going to change.  that's ford's style.   deal with it."  I should have included that in my post to clarify my point.  I don't think one should come to that conclusion based on how Ford got the team through last year.  We don't really know how healthy each player was or was not, and how covid affected each player's stamina.  Without that inside information, there are too many unknowns about last year to draw too many conclusions about Ford's coaching philosophy.

47 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

The Swede does not get mentioned much in this thread, he has legit size and presumably can shoot. Maybe he is that 3rd "big" stretch four type

Good point I forgot about the Swede and he might have been pushing Jimmy Bell for playing time.

21 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

The top teams in the team in the A10, with the exception of Richmond, are just as athletic as we are.  In the games that matter, we don't have an athletic advantage.  We did, however, run the bad teams on our non-conference schedule out of the gym.  That's progress.  There's way too many buy games in our recent past  that were hard-fought 10 point victories.

The game that really frustrated me last year was the ST. B tourney game. They totally dictated the pace of play, and it worked totally in their favor, ie slow ball and great D (especially Osuni on the inside.) Now the Covid hangover might have been in effect, but I felt if we threw enough guys at them at a much faster pace we might have worn down their starting 5 and two minimal subs. Instead, we played their game and stuck with trying to force the ball inside where Osuni was doing a really good SWAT team impression. I think he had like 11 blocks in that game. That's almost unheard of, yet we kept trying to get shots over on him. I was hoping Ford would make a rotational adjustment at the half but no dice. He stubbornly stuck to some game plan that wasn't going to work. 

I know we MBM'ers have a tendency to overrate our talent, but still think we have enough good depth to wear teams down. Hopefully, we will see Travis use some of that depth this year against teams that want to slow ball us. Also, am hoping our 3 pt % will improve to where teams just can't sardine can us on the inside. Perkins, Jimerson, and Williams are proven from beyond the arc. If we can add TJ, Yuri, Thatch, and Strickland to that mix we could be a dangerous team. Maybe even the Swede, who was supposed to be the stretch 4 we're looking to add.  

First, thanks to Steve for updating the front page with the 21-22 schedule with as much info as we now have.  It seems to me that we will still need 4 home games (one could be an exhibition).  Does that seem correct to you guys (and gals)?

13 minutes ago, bauman said:

First, thanks to Steve for updating the front page with the 21-22 schedule with as much info as we now have.  It seems to me that we will still need 4 home games (one could be an exhibition).  Does that seem correct to you guys (and gals)?

@SluSignGuyLeft out the away game at Duquesne.

Stu alluded to a home with Central Arkansas, but I'd wait until it is posted elsewhere before including on this list.

I'd prefer a transfer big. Anthony didn't do much for us except eat space, but at least he knew which end of the court our basket was. I'd hate to see us get stuck with an in experienced project big FR in the event of an injury or a covid situation.  I was hoping Jimmy Bell would stick but understand his reasons for his departure. I'd guess if we don't get what we're after Strickland and Lorentsson would be Ford's backup plan. 

CBFan and SLU_Lax like this

16 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

It's a game of chicken at this point.  Some halfway decent big has to be willing to play marginal minutes for a winning program, right?

Do you know why there is such a delay in getting a big signed now?

They offered a big in the transfer portal and then we have heard nothing.

Sometimes getting players signed is a mystery for me especially this late.

You are knowledgeable about the subject and I was wondering what you take is?

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/roster-churn-at-slu-nothing-new-in-college-basketball/article_c4cc10cb-5aef-503c-8789-cdcbc8fe8a56.html

Nothing new in this article.  Williams is indeed waiting for a waiver.  Ford doesn’t see a problem but must wait for the process to play out.  “You see there’s a lot of people every day getting waivers.”

Ford would like to add more size. He expects to sign at least one, if not two players. One could be a transfer and the other is likely to come without college experience.

“We’re going to fill one of those shortly,” he said. “We like what we have there. With Jimmy gone, we need depth for practice. Francis and Marten are proven guys and we’re looking for depth.”

CBFan likes this

Per Verbal Commits, the only big we have any sights set on is that Malik Lamin from SW Mississippi Community College.  Unless anyone else has info we are unaware of.  

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Per Verbal Commits, the only big we have any sights set on is that Malik Lamin from SW Mississippi Community College.  Unless anyone else has info we are unaware of.  

There always seems to be less social media buzz on potential incoming transfers than there is on HS recruits.  I'm expecting we'll land someone who is a relative surprise name.  I don't recall much / anything about Linssen before he was announced for example.

1 hour ago, A10Ref said:

I am sure I can dig up some old posts, but as I've said - TJ is gonna be the x-factor this year. I am so excited to see him out there.

Also, dont be surprised if Yuri comes in as an elite PG. He's been very good with some up and down performances, but year 3 is going to be special imo.

I think Hargrove will start and Strickland will back him up.

Okoro, Perkins, Hargrove, Nesbitt, and Collins will have 4 guys on the court that can hit the 3.

7 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Okoro, Perkins, Hargrove, Nesbitt, and Collins will have 4 guys on the court that can hit the 3.

I keep seeing these lineups on this site without mention of Thatch or Jimerson. If neither one of those guys start, I'll eat my hat

6 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Perkins, Hargrove, Williams (or Jimerson), Deandre Jones, and then maybe Okoro. 5 players who can hit the three (near 40 percent or more each) and play at the same time, maybe. That said, the Williams and Jones tandem would be a turnover machine.

49 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I keep seeing these lineups on this site without mention of Thatch or Jimerson. If neither one of those guys start, I'll eat my hat

I think most can agree the top four: Collins, Perkins, Okoro and Nesbitt. I think the final starting spot is between Thatch and Hargrove. I think GJ is best coming off the bench.

16 minutes ago, ACE said:

I think most can agree the top four: Collins, Perkins, Okoro and Nesbitt. I think the final starting spot is between Thatch and Hargrove. I think GJ is best coming off the bench.

Hope you are all right on Nesbitt. If he starts as a freshman from day one over the likes of Thatch he's a pretty good player. 

billiken_roy likes this