2021-2022 Season

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Just passing this along -

If true; would have to mean we play also play Bradley, since conf teams likely wont face each other, right?

No I think we’d only play Drake in this scenario. We’re already scheduled for a multiple-game tournament over Thanksgiving, so we wouldn’t be allowed to play in another.

JMM28 likes this

6 minutes ago, NH said:

No I think we’d only okay Drake in this scenario. We’re already scheduled for a multiple-game tournament over Thanksgiving, so we wouldn’t be allowed to play in another.

gotcha, wasn't sure if it was just a single game, or play 2. 

32 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Just passing this along -

If true; would have to mean we play also play Bradley, since conf teams likely wont face each other, right?

I'd like to see us put Bradley on the sched every year. Back in the day, they were out big rival in the MVC. Plus they don't play in a plane hanger any longer with that raised floor. 

JMM28 and bauman like this

Personally, I'm not counting the last two years.  Aberrations on the national scene for sure.  Toss them out.  But we have never been in that 7-out-of-10 rotation in my entire lifetime.  So it's a goal, and if it's achieved, I'd say we've reached out portion of the mountaintop.  

Drake will be good again. They lose a transfer to KU (Yesufu, who took over PG duties for Penn when his season ended with injury), bring on a grad transfer from Omaha, bring in a top-150 HS player, and that's it. Three seniors opted to take their COVID bonus year and return. So they lose their #2 scorer, keep everyone else, and add two nice pieces (and another incoming HS player who probably won't play much). They'll definitely compete for the Valley title again this season if not be the favorite.

stmdragons likes this

Neutral site against Drake would be great. Potential Q1 game and very likely at least Q2. As it stands right now we have 4 OOC games which seem like they have a shot at being Q1: Memphis, Auburn, Buffalo (pending bracket), Drake (if confirmed).

On 6/3/2021 at 1:54 PM, SLURadioBoy said:

Looks like we’re headed to Cancun.

This is normally played at The Hard Rock Riviera Maya.  It was completely booked already when I checked the week the tournament has been traditionally played.

I know it’s really easy to say this in June, but I’m going into this season with the same kinda measured excitement I went into the season 2 years ago with. Back then, Bess and Foreman and Isabell had graduated, this year it’s Goodwin and Has. But at the same time, we’ve got guys coming in (Williams, Nesbitt, Okoro) joining an already talented roster, the same way TJ and Yuri and Locomotive and Perk came in to join Goodwin and Has 2 years ago. Except, I think next year’s team has even more returning talent, considering I haven’t even mentioned Thatch or Linssen or Jimerson or Strickland or the Big Swede (I haven’t given up on him yet), and we still have 2 open scholarships (though I’m not sure we fill either 1 before the season.) Will he have sloppy moments and even some sloppy games next year without JGood and Has leading the charge? Probably. But we have so much talent, we might end up winning some of those sloppy games. I can’t wait. Let’s go!

18 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

I know it’s really easy to say this in June, but I’m going into this season with the same kinda measured excitement I went into the season 2 years ago with. Back then, Bess and Foreman and Isabell had graduated, this year it’s Goodwin and Has. But at the same time, we’ve got guys coming in (Williams, Nesbitt, Okoro) joining an already talented roster, the same way TJ and Yuri and Locomotive and Perk came in to join Goodwin and Has 2 years ago. Except, I think next year’s team has even more returning talent, considering I haven’t even mentioned Thatch or Linssen or Jimerson or Strickland or the Big Swede (I haven’t given up on him yet), and we still have 2 open scholarships (though I’m not sure we fill either 1 before the season.) Will he have sloppy moments and even some sloppy games next year without JGood and Has leading the charge? Probably. But we have so much talent, we might end up winning some of those sloppy games. I can’t wait. Let’s go!

I wouldn't call our excitement last year measured. With all the preseason hype we were getting, ie maybe best mid in the land, we were over the top excited. And after the first 8 games it seemed justified. Then the Wuhan Flu hit us smack dab in the kisser. We were never the same after getting hit by that train. 

As for this season, my excitement could be termed measured. Of course, as any experienced Bills fan knows you always must temper your expectations, because it ain't easy being a Billiken fan. With that said, I think we're going to surprise some folks this year. We didn't lose much in the portal, although, I would like to still have Jacobs around, and we do add 3 new guys. Two of these newbies were 4 star players who will, hopefully, live up to expectations. And after watching that Williams game against MSU that was no pipe dream. He was like a hurricane against one of the most reputable defenses in college hoops. I'm hopeful we will see some of that from him here. 

And the newbies have a supporting cast that includes an all A10 POY candidate in Javonte and others with a lot of experience. Yeah, we're not getting the hype from last season, but I think that's a good thing for this team. Just go out and shock some folks. Now let's all just hope as we see the light at the end of the tunnel it's not another train, eg Sit 1, Sit 2, or a foreign disease. 

31 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Perkins was a very good rebounder in juco.  Still waiting on that to translate at this level.  Hopefully the body transformation helps.

To be fair, with Goodwin & French on the court with him most of the time, he didn't really need to rebound / it there weren't many rebounds for him.  There are several candidates whose rebounding #s might spike with Goodwin & French gone (Perkins, Thatch, Hargrove).

dennis_w and majerus mojo like this

Don't discount Okoro.  A four- or five-star beast.  I got the impression last year that a lot of our defensive posture was for massive box outs that allowed Goodwin to swoop in from all over.  That can lead to a lot of stat padding.  Nothing wrong with that.  And if Goodwin was covering the PG or the 2G, these are not guys regularly assigned to crashing the boards.  I think that was a part of Ford's defensive strategy and that he will adjust with the current lineup to compensate for that.

The one thing you cannot account for right now was Goodwin's crashing of the offensive boards.  That is a lot of heart as guys like Rodman and Ben Wallace will attest.  I think you will see that with Hargrove and Thatch.  I am not concerned about our rebounding prowess as it now stands.    Plus upgrades at the shooter positions might make it less a requirement.

44 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I wouldn't call our excitement last year measured. With all the preseason hype we were getting, ie maybe best mid in the land, we were over the top excited. And after the first 8 games it seemed justified. Then the Wuhan Flu hit us smack dab in the kisser. We were never the same after getting hit by that train. 

As for this season, my excitement could be termed measured. Of course, as any experienced Bills fan knows you always must temper your expectations, because it ain't easy being a Billiken fan. With that said, I think we're going to surprise some folks this year. We didn't lose much in the portal, although, I would like to still have Jacobs around, and we do add 3 new guys. Two of these newbies were 4 star players who will, hopefully, live up to expectations. And after watching that Williams game against MSU that was no pipe dream. He was like a hurricane against one of the most reputable defenses in college hoops. I'm hopeful we will see some of that from him here. 

And the newbies have a supporting cast that includes an all A10 POY candidate in Javonte and others with a lot of experience. Yeah, we're not getting the hype from last season, but I think that's a good thing for this team. Just go out and shock some folks. Now let's all just hope as we see the light at the end of the tunnel it's not another train, eg Sit 1, Sit 2, or a foreign disease. 

Reinert said, "Two years ago."  I think we all had high expectations last year.

Reinert310 likes this

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQMFZsOB65x/?utm_medium=copy_link

Some TJ Hargrove highlights, I’m assuming they’re from workouts over the last couple days. He looks great. We all know what he can do above the rim, but his outside stroke looks really really nice. This might be the season he goes off. I’m excited.

majerus mojo likes this

3 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Don't discount Okoro.  A four- or five-star beast.  I got the impression last year that a lot of our defensive posture was for massive box outs that allowed Goodwin to swoop in from all over.  That can lead to a lot of stat padding.  Nothing wrong with that.  And if Goodwin was covering the PG or the 2G, these are not guys regularly assigned to crashing the boards.  I think that was a part of Ford's defensive strategy and that he will adjust with the current lineup to compensate for that.

The one thing you cannot account for right now was Goodwin's crashing of the offensive boards.  That is a lot of heart as guys like Rodman and Ben Wallace will attest.  I think you will see that with Hargrove and Thatch.  I am not concerned about our rebounding prowess as it now stands.    Plus upgrades at the shooter positions might make it less a requirement.

Okoro might be our secret weapon. According to those in the know the kid's a real workaholic.