2021-2022 Season

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Looks like we’re headed to Cancun.

Maybe he means Buffalo as in the Buffalo Bills, Illinois instead of Illinois State, and the Stone Cold Steve Austin School of hard knocks instead of Steven F Austin.

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very disappointing field, but I will take it over no MTE which seemed like a possibility. It also seems understandable that the SLU staff has been focused on things other than scheduling these past couple of weeks, which is when most of these tourneys appear to have been filled. 

This past season we only won 2 road/neutral games (@Fordham and vs. Umass). This MTE gives us a chance to hopefully get used to winning away from Chaifetz early in the season. It also gives us an outside chance at another quad 1 game if we get to play Buffalo and they have a good year, which would be big. As things are shaking out now for the schedule I see us having likely 2 but possible 3 chances at Quad 1 games. In an ideal world, we would find one more home-and-home with a top 50 opponent to fill out the schedule.

vs. Auburn (Quad 1)
@ Memphis (Quad 1)
vs. Buffalo (Neutral Site) (Quad 1/2)
vs. Boston College (Quad 2/3)
@ Southern Illinois (Quad 2/3)
Illinois St. (Neutral Site) (Quad 3)
Stephen F. Austin (Neutral Site) (Quad 3/4)

majerus mojo likes this

18 hours ago, NH said:

Very disappointing field, but I will take it over no MTE which seemed like a possibility. It also seems understandable that the SLU staff has been focused on things other than scheduling these past couple of weeks, which is when most of these tourneys appear to have been filled. 

This past season we only won 2 road/neutral games (@Fordham and vs. Umass). This MTE gives us a chance to hopefully get used to winning away from Chaifetz early in the season. It also gives us an outside chance at another quad 1 game if we get to play Buffalo and they have a good year, which would be big. As things are shaking out now for the schedule I see us having likely 2 but possible 3 chances at Quad 1 games. In an ideal world, we would find one more home-and-home with a top 50 opponent to fill out the schedule.

vs. Auburn (Quad 1)
@ Memphis (Quad 1)

It is fun predicting what the results could mean.  But with the transfer rule in effect, it is very very hard to predict how good a team will be based on last season's results.

I fell into the same trap you did.  Here are last season's NET for the Cancun Tourney lineup along with the Quad for a neutral game.

Buffalo - 79 - Quad 2

SFA - 147 - Quad 3

Illinois State - 242 - Quad 4

Let's hope there will be some significant upgrades, particularly for Illinois State.  We don't need a tourney Q4 game.

22 hours ago, NH said:

vs. Auburn (Quad 1)
@ Memphis (Quad 1)

Any other known games yet? MWC challenge got kicked out another year, right?

On 6/3/2021 at 4:22 PM, NH said:

vs. Auburn (Quad 1)
@ Memphis (Quad 1)

Was the Minnesota game not part of a home and home series?

28 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

https://triblive.com/sports/keith-dambrot-says-dukes-raised-our-standards-in-almost-total-roster-makeover/

Some interesting and some questionable comments from Dambrot.  It certainly looks like he kicked some of his previously recruited players out.

Ha Dambrot, acting like he's taking responsibility, while throwing kids under the bus. Acting like he's not taking it personally, while acting like a jilted lover. What a loser!

VeniceMenace likes this

57 minutes ago, ACE said:

Ha Dambrot, acting like he's taking responsibility, while throwing kids under the bus. Acting like he's not taking it personally, while acting like a jilted lover. What a loser!

Dunn-Martin has tire tracks on his back......Dambrot didn't give the coachspeak build them up before you ship them out lines for sure.....

7 hours ago, Pistol said:

Pairings for the upcoming season have been announced by Rothstein:

Home: Dayton, La Salle, UMass, Richmond, St. Bonaventure, Fordham, GW, St. Joe's, VCU.

Away: Dayton, La Salle, UMass, Richmond, St. Bonaventure, Davidson, Duquesne, George Mason, Rhode Island.

The League basically just flipped last year's initial schedule H to A and kept the same double matches.

Jesus ..... and roy thought Majerus had roster turnover?!?!!  This guy is the unsuccessful version of Calipari.  Only Calipari reloads with five star, one-and-done.  Dambrot scours the scrap heaps and hopes to find a magical elixir in the heap.  On the flip side, I do think he's right about modern athletes and their entitlement beliefs.  But I think that it's all wrapped up in the rush to financial glory and pro basketball.  Oh well..... he has two freshmen guards running a totally new lineup.  He'll be like the Bonnies ----- play a crap OOC schedule to build momentum and confidence and then see where the chips fall come conference time.  Success breeds success and if they win the the OOC (againdt Bob Morris, and Pitt-Johnstown and Mount St. Mary's and Lamar well, who knows.  

@cheeseman:  agree.  Coaches, especially guys making the big bucks, need to win and win now.  Otherwise, out they go.  It's an interesting world where the coaches have their goal, the players and their entourage have their goal, and it's all wrapped under the guise of the old rah-rah alma mater banner.  Part of Majerus' strategy, to get his players for hsi system, is in effect across the board.  That's why it is hard to accomplish at many schools.  You can get a run, but sustaining it will be really hard work.  A system with a good coach an do it.  Gonzaga.  Baylor.  Villanova.  For us, it's always a work in progress.  The lucky ones, that have the chance to make a final four or two --- Butler, VCU, Mason, Loyola --- usually see the luck dissipate and return back to the pack for the climb again.

Compton and cheeseman like this

On 6/9/2021 at 11:03 AM, Taj79 said:

You can get a run, but sustaining it will be really hard work.  A system with a good coach an do it.  Gonzaga.  Baylor.  Villanova.  For us, it's always a work in progress.  The lucky ones, that have the chance to make a final four or two --- Butler, VCU, Mason, Loyola --- usually see the luck dissipate and return back to the pack for the climb again.

Javon Bess, Jordan Goodwin, Hasahn French, Tremaine Isabell, Javonte Perkins, Yuri Collins, TJ Hargrove, Francis Okoro, Jordan Nesbitt. 

I consider us among the lucky ones. 

Yes, that's a good run for us however the results on a national level are not great .... one NCAA appearance by a great run in the A10 tournament.  Given the depth of the A10, I think we should be in the selection conversation seven out of ten years but that may be too optimistic.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Yes, that's a good run for us however the results on a national level are not great .... one NCAA appearance by a great run in the A10 tournament.  Given the depth of the A10, I think we should be in the selection conversation seven out of ten years but that may be too optimistic.

I actually think that should be the minimal expectation. 

Billikenbooster likes this

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Absent a global pandemic, it's pretty easy to see us achieving a 7 out of 10 (rounding up from 66.6%) selection conversation rate over the the last three seasons. Last year was weird and frustrating, but taking a 5 game win streak and double bye into the A10 tourney in 2020 may have had a difference result.