2021-2022 Season

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What this discussion about top 40 programs preferring transfers to HS graduates really means is that the HS recruits will have to lower their sights. There could be a potential increase in the number of very good HS basketball recruits with high development potential available to mid majors. Real talent will not go to waste.

billiken_roy likes this

If the portal becomes the MO for the majors, and it seems the trend setter Calipari likes it a lot, I can see the top HS projected one and doners opting for the G league to play their required one year. This could work in SLU's favor with 3 and 4 star rated guys, as they may feel their status on a P5 is somewhat threatened by a coach going out to land a solid experienced mid major. 

19 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

What constitutes as a top 40 program? That is a weirdly specific qualifier. Does it mean Butler, Virginia Tech? I don’t know why he said top 40 program.

Also his NBA analogy doesn’t make sense. Who were the best teams in each NBA conference this year: The Jazz won the West and they built through the draft. The 76ers won the east and they built through the draft. The MVP will be Nikola Jokic, who was drafted and developed by his team.

Continuity matters in college basketball. Unless you have multiple top 15 recruits, its hard to be a good team with new players learning the system every year. Good coaches will need to figure out a way to keep players in their program and out of the portal in order to build that continuity. Travis has already shown he has the ability to create a TeamBlue culture that makes players want to stay.

I think the biggest impact this will have is on roster construction with regards to playing time. If you’re recruiting a freshman, you need to know that either they will play right away or they are comfortable taking a couple of years to develop and won’t leave if they don’t get immediate minutes. It will force coaches to be more upfront about playing time expectations in the recruiting process. Like Ford said in his recent interview with Stu, you should only add players who either A) are immediate contributors or B ) are fully on board with taking time to develop.

I think the days of having 13 scholarship players who all want to play are over. That is probably a reason why we didn’t recruit someone like Nick Kern harder. He is too good to be our 11th-13th man but probably not ready to unseat Hargrove or maybe even Strickland in the rotation.

SLU has benefitted from transfers this season and I expect that to continue. Dayton has improved their team via the transfer market. VCU has brought in transfers who improve their team. Good A10 programs will remain very attractive landing spots for high quality players, even if guys like Tre Mitchell or Jamieson Battle sometimes decide to leave.

When a new tool becomes available, there's a tendency to grab on to that tool as the best way of doing things.  Only a handful of programs are actually succeeding with a rotating group of transfers each year.  If this coach is is leading one of those programs, then kudos to that guy.  More transfers is just what he wants.  But for coaches who are struggling with integrating transfers as it is, embracing free agency is foolish.

The beauty of basketball is that there are multiple paths to victory.  New trends happen precisely because some people go against the grain.  Other programs are successful by adhering to a tried and true approach.  Just be competent in whatever you do.  

kshoe likes this

the good thing about this "idea" is that college basketball rosters all turn over in 4 years or less.   thus if it is wrong and blows up in that coach's face, providing his school has the patience he can relatively shift gears and strategy quickly and be back to where he was before in the same time period.  

just better be sure his school is on board with the same thinking i guess. 

13 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

the good thing about this "idea" is that college basketball rosters all turn over in 4 years or less.   thus if it is wrong and blows up in that coach's face, providing his school has the patience he can relatively shift gears and strategy quickly and be back to where he was before in the same time period.  

just better be sure his school is on board with the same thinking i guess. 

Oh, thank goodness, this will never happen because of the strict adherence to educational priorities in college basketball! Whew,that was close. ;) 

AGB91 likes this

10 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

That is Davidson’s bball “arena” !?!?  Looks like a sh1tty high school gym.

That's not it. Or, it has been renovated since when that picture was taken.

Been to 2 Billiken games at the Belk. They had far more seating.

When I went, I did not think it was that bad. Been to St Joe's, LaSalle & Fordham, beats them out. No bad seats, nice food court and the campus is beautiful, on a large lake. Statue of Curry in the front.

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/408/304/1600/139212/CHARLOTTE_DAVIDSON_crowd.jpg

3 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

That's not it. Or, it has been renovated since when that picture was taken.

Been to 2 Billiken games at the Belk. They had far more seating then that.

When I went, I did not it think was that bad. Been to St Joe's, LaSalle & Fordham, beats them out. No bad seats, nice food court and the campus is beautiful. Statue of Curry in the front.

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/408/304/1600/139212/CHARLOTTE_DAVIDSON_crowd.jpg

Tried to copy and paste a pic, all I got was the link. If you hit the link above this, the picture will show.

11 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

That is Davidson’s bball “arena” !?!?  Looks like a sh1tty high school gym.

Thats the right court, but behind that curtain is probably a 1,000 seats

1 minute ago, thetorch said:

There are no "headliners" in this field, including us.

KenPom's from last season:

Buffalo: 77

SFA: 151

Illinois St. 198

Better have a bunch of P6 names lined up for the remainder of the non-con season.

10 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

AND better not drink the water....... 

And don't forget Old Guy's warning: don't trust the ice cubes. What a crap field. I don't think I'll be risking a trip into Cartel Land for this clunker. Thank God we got some good teams lined up for the regular schedule. I still don't understand why the MWC v A10 games got cancelled.