2021-2022 Season

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BilliesBy40 --- so if I know they are going to switch every time, why am I running time off the clock to find out what I already know?  If they are in a zone, like the Bills 1-3-1 half court zone, I can see that approaching the half court line.  Any kind of zone is visible mostly at that line because it sets up at the foul line to 3 point line.  

Practically every college team runs a man-to-man that involves switching.  If not that then hedging to close off the driving lane.  The Bills have problems getting from the hedge back out to their man.  We have lamented our 3 point defense ad infinitum here.  The surprise element is when a zone does show up and you are confused for a trip or two.  Or if you play Syracuse.  

Again, I'll watch closer this year.  The only team I've ever seen run so much weave are the Harlem Globetrotters.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

BilliesBy40 --- so if I know they are going to switch every time, why am I running time off the clock to find out what I already know?  If they are in a zone, like the Bills 1-3-1 half court zone, I can see that approaching the half court line.  Any kind of zone is visible mostly at that line because it sets up at the foul line to 3 point line.  

Practically every college team runs a man-to-man that involves switching.  If not that then hedging to close off the driving lane.  The Bills have problems getting from the hedge back out to their man.  We have lamented our 3 point defense ad infinitum here.  The surprise element is when a zone does show up and you are confused for a trip or two.  Or if you play Syracuse.  

Again, I'll watch closer this year.  The only team I've ever seen run so much weave are the Harlem Globetrotters.

Our lament of our 3 pt defense just shows how easy it is to misread what is actually happening. We didn’t give up many attempts per game at 19.5 per game and the percentage made against us is middle of the pack. The reality is we gave up about 6.5 3 pointers per game for less than 20 points per game. We’re called MBM’s for a reason

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

The tournaments sure don't seem to want us.  Davidson?  Seems like a pretty crappy field in terms of national prestige and recognition.  

Once again denied to see the Bills play in the Palmetto State. This sucks. Does anyone know the protocols for these tourneys? Are the teams extended invites or do they apply to play them and then a committee makes a decision on who gets in? Recently, with the exception of last year, ie the Orlando tourney, we always seem to be on the outside looking in while teams like St. Joes, Duquesne, Davidson, etc get annual invites to the major ones with good fields. We'll probably get stuck with one of those where we get to host 2 lower level mids and then go someplace to play a P5 or 2 over two days rather than one that crowns a real champion. My guess is the committees take into consideration how well a team's fans travel, hence Dayton always getting in a prime time event.  

15 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Once again denied to see the Bills play in the Palmetto State. This sucks. Does anyone know the protocols for these tourneys? Are the teams extended invites or do they apply to play them and then a committee makes a decision on who gets in? Recently, with the exception of last year, ie the Orlando tourney, we always seem to be on the outside looking in while teams like St. Joes, Duquesne, Davidson, etc get annual invites to the major ones with good fields. We'll probably get stuck with one of those where we get to host 2 lower level mids and then go someplace to play a P5 or 2 over two days rather than one that crowns a real champion. My guess is the committees take into consideration how well a team's fans travel, hence Dayton always getting in a prime time event.  

I can’t speak for all tournaments, but it is more so an invitation situation for all of the big boys. It is a mix between the networks, and actual tournament organizers. Invites for the major tournaments are extended based predominantly on how many travel packages a fanbase projects to purchase, as well as their viewership numbers. Additionally, since in normal times these fields are booked 3 years in advance, there is a degree of projection on how good a team should be. An unfortunate issue with our program is lack of consistency makes it hard to provide SLU as a valuable bet to take for some of the bigger MTEs. Hopeful we get invited to something like Atlantis or a good Orlando field in the next 3-5 years if Travis can continue the consistency though. 

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Not that I want to continue this subject, but if every team is switching, then wouldn’t the weave help in finding favorable matchups? Maybe we run the weave to get Goodwin/Perkins against the player that can’t guard them well? Or the same for Yuri. Which would make a lot of sense.

1 hour ago, johnbj14 said:

I can’t speak for all tournaments, but it is more so an invitation situation for all of the big boys. It is a mix between the networks, and actual tournament organizers. Invites for the major tournaments are extended based predominantly on how many travel packages a fanbase projects to purchase, as well as their viewership numbers. Additionally, since in normal times these fields are booked 3 years in advance, there is a degree of projection on how good a team should be. An unfortunate issue with our program is lack of consistency makes it hard to provide SLU as a valuable bet to take for some of the bigger MTEs. Hopeful we get invited to something like Atlantis or a good Orlando field in the next 3-5 years if Travis can continue the consistency though. 

Lack of consistency? 

St. Joes and Davidson. Hello ?

1 hour ago, Brighton said:

Lack of consistency? 

St. Joes and Davidson. Hello ?

I’m just relaying information based on one event. It isn’t one factor that earns/doesn’t earn an invite. But Davidson was big enough of a pull to get a Maui invite last year (before it was no fans), so that should give you an idea on perception differences that organizers have between SLU and some of our conference mates. Whether travel or performance, there’s unfortunately a reason. 

7 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Dayton in at Orlando

Sheesh that’s brutal. Ku and bama likely top 5, Belmont should win 30, drake should be decent, Iona should provide entertainment off the court. 

11 hours ago, wgstl said:

Sheesh that’s brutal. Ku and bama likely top 5, Belmont should win 30, drake should be decent, Iona should provide entertainment off the court. 

I mean, it is a worse field than the one last year. There were five ranked in the preseason last year, not including us. This one has two.

33 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I mean, it is a worse field than the one last year. There were five ranked in the preseason last year, not including us. This one has two.

I guess for pre season ranking sure.  But State, X and Auburn ended up having bad years (for them) including us. If you take how the teams ended up, it wasn't that strong of a field.  It could also happen this year too, but I dont see ku or bama pulling a state.

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2021/2/17/22287581/2021-22-mens-college-basketball-exempt-multi-team-events-mte-thanksgiving-early-season-tournaments

Updated list of MTE's.  Here is the list of those not signed up.

Notable Teams Not Yet Connected To An Event

American (3/11): Tulane, Tulsa, UCF

ACC (1/15): Georgia Tech

A 10 (8/14): Fordham, George Mason, George Washington, La Salle, Rhode Island, Richmond, Saint Louis, UMass

Big 12 (2/10): TCU, Texas Tech

Big East (1/11): DePaul

Big Ten (5/14): Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Nebraska, Rutgers

MVC (4/10): Evansville, Illinois State, Missouri State, Valparaiso

MW (4/11): Air Force, Fresno State, New Mexico, San José State

Pac-12 (3/12): Utah, Washington, Washington State

SEC (2/14): Georgia, Kentucky

WCC (6/10): Pacific, Pepperdine, Portland, San Diego, San Francisco, Santa Clara

2 hours ago, ACE said:

Regarding the last two scholarships - Tate said absolutely they will be filled.

I also heard the interview. He did say they will absolutely be filled then mumbled something like one could be saved. 

57 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2021/2/17/22287581/2021-22-mens-college-basketball-exempt-multi-team-events-mte-thanksgiving-early-season-tournaments

Updated list of MTE's.  Here is the list of those not signed up.

Notable Teams Not Yet Connected To An Event

American (3/11): Tulane, Tulsa, UCF

ACC (1/15): Georgia Tech

A 10 (8/14): Fordham, George Mason, George Washington, La Salle, Rhode Island, Richmond, Saint Louis, UMass

Big 12 (2/10): TCU, Texas Tech

Big East (1/11): DePaul

Big Ten (5/14): Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Nebraska, Rutgers

MVC (4/10): Evansville, Illinois State, Missouri State, Valparaiso

MW (4/11): Air Force, Fresno State, New Mexico, San José State

Pac-12 (3/12): Utah, Washington, Washington State

SEC (2/14): Georgia, Kentucky

WCC (6/10): Pacific, Pepperdine, Portland, San Diego, San Francisco, Santa Clara

-hey ADept, let's run our own MTE, unless there is a rule that says we can't(we might want to have an outside source review given our 'we'll play a game after the A10 Tourney fun'), USF, UK, SLU, Texas Tech or Iowa, play Nov 24, 26 and 28, call WorldWide, Enterprise, everyone in town to get a sponsor, perhaps after Friday I'll sponsor it