2021-2022 Season

with this free for all lunacy transfer nonsense this year, i wouldnt even try to guess standings in any league or predict anyone's 21-22 season.   it is crazy.   no one has a set roster one great pickup or loss can drastically change any teams outcome.

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These early, early predictions are click bait.  There are over 1400 names listed on the transfer portal and, just looking at the list, maybe 2/3 haven't landed.  Some of those are solid names.  But to figure out final rosters today, how they will gell, which freshmen will contribute, is simply an exercise to do while nothing is going on.  Baylor did a pretty good job of fitting together transfers.  It can be done.

51 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If we want to be consistent top 25 teams, we have to become a much better road team.  Embracing media predictions is way down the list of priorities, IMO.

Agreed. I was insinuating that it was a high priority. I was responding to someone who said they liked flying under the radar. 

53 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

VCU finished second last year and are expected to finish first next year.  We finished 4th last year and are expected to finish 4th next year.  Their predictions were well . . . predictable.

Bonaventure is in the top tier by themselves, by a lot. Then you can start a discussion about second.

8 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Bonaventure is in the top tier by themselves, by a lot. Then you can start a discussion about second.

It may be the biggest gap from 1st to 2nd in a long time.

If Nesbitt and Okoro come as advertised, I am not scared of the Bonnies.  They are all Seniors but they lack talent.  

We beat LSU when we weren't worn down by Covid and Bonnies got blown out by LSU when they faced them.  

You can say what you want about our performance in the A-10 semifinal, but we were still not the same team as Ford created and fielded at the beginning of the season. 

The match up at the end of 2019-20 season is more indicative of what would have happened if two healthy teams played last year.  72-49 final IIRC

AGB91 likes this

28 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

If Nesbitt and Okoro come as advertised, I am not scared of the Bonnies.  They are all Seniors but they lack talent.  

We beat LSU when we weren't worn down by Covid and Bonnies got blown out by LSU when they faced them.  

You can say what you want about our performance in the A-10 semifinal, but we were still not the same team as Ford created and fielded at the beginning of the season. 

The match up at the end of 2019-20 season is more indicative of what would have happened if two healthy teams played last year.  72-49 final IIRC

What separates the Bonnies and our program is Schmidt's best teams consistently win on the road.  We're still figuring that part out.  

stmdragons likes this

Two years ago, the Bonniues had home-and-homes with Mason, Geedubya, St. Joes, Fordham and Duquesnse.  The year before that it was Mason, Duquesne, St. Joe's, Fordham and Davidson.  The year before that it was Duquesne, Davidson, St. Joes, Saint Louis and Rhode Island.  Of those 15 teams, I'd put Davidson and Rhode Island in the upper echelon of the A10 at the time.  The time they got us was 2017-18, the last year of the [dead] recruits.  The unbalanced schedule has played to their favor for the last three years running prior to this year.  If they are the flagship of the A10 next year, let's line them up with home and homes against us, VCU, Dayton, Richmond and Umass.  Play the bigger kids for once.

dlarry, bauman and AGB91 like this

What's wrong with click bait?  Its a discussion.  Without click bait the NFL draft would be just another ho-hum passing Thursday.  I think the transfers are pretty much done.  Sure, there are still a lot of openings and a lot of guys in the portal but I don't think there is that much of an impact out there waiting to light the A10 on fire.  

Davidson has ten guys on the roster with all their possible returning seniors gone.

Dayton has 12 roster spots occupied including Sissoko.  Also no final decisions by Crutcher, Watson or Tshimanga announced yet.  That's 15. 

Duquesne has 12 on the roster with two undeclared seniors plus three freshmen commits.  That's a Dambrot-esque 17.

Fordham has 12 with one additional undeclared senior.  Nobody is going to come in and be a savior there.  New coach.

Mason has 11 but still lists Josh Oduro on roster although he is also still in transfer portal.  I'm thinking he stays.  New coach.

Geedubya has 8 with three freshman recruits for 11 total.

:La Salle has 9 with two commits and no undeclared seniors.  So 11 there.

Umass has 11 with no undeclared seniors.  Five are transfers with no freshmen in the pipeline.  I'd say McCall can see the writing on the wall if he doesn't produce this year.

Rhode Island has Sheppard undeclared.  The rest are 12 on the roster with one additional commit for 13 total.

Richmond is the same team as last year minus Francis waiting on Sherrod.  That 11 with 4 additional LOIs for 15.

Neither Ryan Daly nor Anthony Longpre has declared as seniors.  Still waiting but we won't count them here.  Overall 11 roster spots with two more commits in the wings for 13.

The Bonnies have 8 guys on their roster; the same starting five as last year and then three additions.  Schmidt has the opening; who will live in Olean is the question.

VCU had two seniors, one stayed and one left in Stockard and Douglas.  They have 10 filled roster spots and three incoming LOIs so a total of 14 for now.

We have 12 total counting Perkins' return.  We have two open slots to fill to be complete.

I'd still like to see another PG on the roster and then either a SG or PF come into the fray.  Another big center would be nice behind Jimmy Bell.  I think the A10 is what it is.

I think VCU will still be good without Bones. They’ll need to figure out scoring but they have multiple potential breakout guys on that side of the ball. And they have good defenders up and down the roster, including Hason Ward, who is maybe the second best defender in the conference behind Osun.

43 minutes ago, NH said:

I think VCU will still be good without Bones. They’ll need to figure out scoring but they have multiple potential breakout guys on that side of the ball. And they have good defenders up and down the roster, including Hason Ward, who is maybe the second best defender in the conference behind Osun.

Yeah..I agree.  They made some good moves.  

On 4/20/2021 at 12:23 PM, billiken_roy said:

with this free for all lunacy transfer nonsense this year, i wouldnt even try to guess standings in any league or predict anyone's 21-22 season.   it is crazy.   no one has a set roster one great pickup or loss can drastically change any teams outcome.

Basketball recruiting is taking a hard 90 degree turn.  Coach's have to be looking at win now, instead of developing players.  A Coach's ability to find players in the transfer portal that will mesh into a cohesive unit outweighs finding those 3* HS graduates that might develop into solid players a year or two down the road. 

A few huge A10 team issues are still unresolved.  Example,what if Goodwin decides to return to SLU. Or Watson to Dayton. Same for Mitchell back to UMass.  Any of these would significantly change the landscape.

This spreadsheet seems to be fairly up to date (well maybe it was yesterday).  As you said, most teams rosters aren't set. Duquesne, George Mason, UMass, Rhode Island, St. Joe and VCU appear to at this moment to have a full roster.  The rest of us are still in the acquiring mode.  The portal is still active both ways. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QgSo3xymzu43nF20xkXOkJ3ESDx8NPg1fen0PQ1fGuY/edit?hl=en_US&hl=en_US#gid=0

10 hours ago, NH said:

FYI, I saw two NBA draft projections yesterday.  Bones was #40 in one and #46 in the other.  One showed Osun as a late second rounder in 2022.

10 hours ago, NH said:

Agreed. Looks like they made a concerted effort to upgrade over Stockard by landing a nice high school forward and Nichols from Providence.

Dambrot himself described Baker as a wild, untamed mustang out of control that needed serious reining in to be productive.  We’ll see where he goes.

Overall, A10 transfers aren’t exactly upgrading.  Short of Fatts to Maryland, Grady to Kentucky, Weathers to SMU, Miller to Miami and (of course) Bates Jones to Duke, not a lot of upgrades going on.

46 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Dambrot himself described Baker as a wild, untamed mustang out of control that needed serious reining in to be productive.  We’ll see where he goes.

Overall, A10 transfers aren’t exactly upgrading.  Short of Fatts to Maryland, Grady to Kentucky, Weathers to SMU, Miller to Miami and (of course) Bates Jones to Duke, not a lot of upgrades going on.

There's a pecking order.  The market gets flooded with mid-major players and the best quickly go to high majors and high mid-majors.  The rest will be forced to stay or make lateral/downward moves. 

Meanwhile, the high-major players who entered the market due to lack of playing time eventually make their way to mid-majors.  Some have already found a spot but most have not.  That could take months.

I think the biggest question for this team is at point guard. Ford essentially handed Collins the keys and gave him more leeway (while screaming constantly at him) than any other frosh of that class. Bell, Hargrove, and Jimerson all got buried on the bench at certain points. Never Collins.

He was great as a frosh, and this year improved in the turnover category (A/T ratio improved from 1.7 to 2.8). Otherwise he was the same guy. His splits, from 2020 to 2021 were not much improved (37/36/56) vs. (40/24/67). He played basically the same (31mpg) this year to last if you take out the URI injury-game. 

He can be tenacious on D, but also can struggle against bigger guys. If Nesbitt can handle the point, I think the best lineup is probably Nesbitt, Thatch, Perkins, Okoro, and Linßen. If they need to go smaller, Hargrove, Williams, or Strickland for the German. My hunch is that Ford will keep his loyalty to Collins. Which is fine, if Collins improves. 

I love watching Collins play. He's a blur and an amazing passer and tough as nails. He's the captain of a top 50 offense. Ford needs to recognize that there are other guys who deserve court time if Collins continues as a low-volume, inefficient scorer. 

Zink likes this

2 hours ago, ACE said:

Agreed. Looks like they made a concerted effort to upgrade over Stockard by landing a nice high school forward and Nichols from Providence.

Lol...or they just filled positions of need with Corey Douglas leaving along with Medley-Bacon.  They needed more length at the forward spots.

19 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Lol...or they just filled positions of need with Corey Douglas leaving along with Medley-Bacon.  They needed more length at the forward spots.

Medley-Bacon 😆Sure, it was a big priority for them to replace a guy who barely played.

1 hour ago, Crewsorlose said:

I think the biggest question for this team is at point guard. Ford essentially handed Collins the keys and gave him more leeway (while screaming constantly at him) than any other frosh of that class. Bell, Hargrove, and Jimerson all got buried on the bench at certain points. Never Collins.

He was great as a frosh, and this year improved in the turnover category (A/T ratio improved from 1.7 to 2.8). Otherwise he was the same guy. His splits, from 2020 to 2021 were not much improved (37/36/56) vs. (40/24/67). He played basically the same (31mpg) this year to last if you take out the URI injury-game. 

He can be tenacious on D, but also can struggle against bigger guys. If Nesbitt can handle the point, I think the best lineup is probably Nesbitt, Thatch, Perkins, Okoro, and Linßen. If they need to go smaller, Hargrove, Williams, or Strickland for the German. My hunch is that Ford will keep his loyalty to Collins. Which is fine, if Collins improves. 

I love watching Collins play. He's a blur and an amazing passer and tough as nails. He's the captain of a top 50 offense. Ford needs to recognize that there are other guys who deserve court time if Collins continues as a low-volume, inefficient scorer. 

I agree somewhat.  Collins size, lack of outside shooting ability, and lack of explosive scoring ability / finishing severely limit his ceiling.  That he's a very good player in spite of those things is a testament to his incredible passing ability.

On the other hand, Collins numbers took a big hit after the injury.  His splits were 43/26/75 up to & including Rhody game and 33/23/57 after the Rhody game.  Further he was averaging 6.5 assists, 1.8 turnovers, and 1.5 steals up to & including Rhody vs 5.6 assists, 2.9 turnovers, and 0.7 steals afterwards.  There is some level of competition adjustment because opponents before the Rhody game were weaker on average, but I don't think it is a stretch to say the injury compromised Yuri's play.

2020-21 Yuri pre-injury is absolutely a starter even if Nesbit can run the point.  2020-21 Yuri post-injury is absolutely not.  Hopefully he's 100% healthy for the upcoming season and has improved his jumper as well.

Crewsorlose and Zink like this