2021-2022 Season

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Linssen was great this year. My wish list is that either he or bell figure out how to shoot 3s at greater than 33%.

All they really need is a jumper from 15 feet. Same for Okoro. We need to find a way to unclog the inside. Mid range jumpers from some of our bigs could solve the problem. 

22 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Linssen was great this year. My wish list is that either he or bell figure out how to shoot 3s at greater than 33%.

I don’t want either one out shooting 3’s . Linssen was a very effective scorer  in the paint. Jimmie just needs to finish. His footwork is good for a big man but just didn’t finish. 

majerus mojo likes this

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/bracketology/ncaa-bracketology-projecting-2022-march-madness-men-field

Stubby Joe with his early bracket for next year. 

For the A10 its:

Bonnies - 5 seed

VCU - last four byes(11 seed)

Richmond - last team in(12 seed)

-------------------------

Auburn - 8 seed

Memphis - 5 seed

San Diego st next four out.

Agreed on the Bonnies, VCU I disagree big time with, Richmond will be Richmond.

AGB91 likes this

9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/bracketology/ncaa-bracketology-projecting-2022-march-madness-men-field

For the A10 its:

Bonnies - 5 seed

Auburn - 8 seed

Memphis - 5 seed

After what happened this season, I'm content with flying under the radar for the time being. I still don't get why people continue to hype up Richmond year after year, though.

14 minutes ago, stmdragons said:

After what happened this season, I'm content with flying under the radar for the time being. I still don't get why people continue to hype up Richmond year after year, though.

It appears Richmond will be returning all 5 starters who were predicted to take them to the dance last year and winning the A10. They folded worse than we did. I would guess most prognosticators will give us little notice this year. Like picking us 5th or so in the A10 and no forecasts of us making the dance. I like it better when our outlook is not so great. It seems every year we're picked to do really great, we run smack into an unseen obstacle. If Nesbitt's as good as advertised and can step right in, if Okoro is really a 4 star PF, and Williams is a true consistent high volume sniper we should surprise some people. We're retuning a pretty good core group that hopefully ups their games over the summer. 

As for ST. B's, yes, they return everyone but to me they appear fragile given their depth. A couple of nicks here and there could be devastating to them. Dayton may be underrated like us and surprise some folks. VCU surprised us this year, and I expect them to be very solid even without Bones.  Given their style of play, and they usually have solid bench players. Enough, I'll defer to our A10 Guru, Taj Mahal 79, to give us an in depth look at the league once the portal and recruiting dust has settled. 

5 minutes ago, slu72 said:

It appears Richmond will be returning all 5 starters who were predicted to take them to the dance last year and winning the A10. They folded worse than we did. I would guess most prognosticators will give us little notice this year. Like picking us 5th or so in the A10 and no forecasts of us making the dance. I like it better when our outlook is not so great. It seems every year we're picked to do really great, we run smack into an unseen obstacle. If Nesbitt's as good as advertised and can step right in, if Okoro is really a 4 star PF, and Williams is a true consistent high volume sniper we should surprise some people. We're retuning a pretty good core group that hopefully ups their games over the summer. 

As for ST. B's, yes, they return everyone but to me they appear fragile given their depth. A couple of nicks here and there could be devastating to them. Dayton may be underrated like us and surprise some folks. VCU surprised us this year, and I expect them to be very solid even without Bones.  Given their style of play, and they usually have solid bench players. Enough, I'll defer to our A10 Guru, Taj Mahal 79, to give us an in depth look at the league once the portal and recruiting dust has settled. 

I want us to be favored every year. If we want to be a consistent top 25 team we need to embrace being the A10 fav

56 minutes ago, wgstl said:

For the A10 its:

Bonnies - 5 seed

Auburn - 8 seed

Memphis - 5 seed

I'll never understand how these guys are still rating VCU. They lost the CPOY who took 1/3 of their shots....

Not quite true on Richmond returnees; Blake Francis, their real volume shooter from three, has decided to go pro.  Unless slu72 is counting Nick Sherrod, that spot will be filled by Andre Gustavson or Connor Crabtree.  When Sherrod tore his second ACL, he announced he was ending his basketball career.  I have no information if he has had a change of heart.  He is still listed on their roster so who knows.  

Joe Lunardi's first Bracketology is out for 2021.  He has the Bonnies listed as a five seed; VCU gets one of the last byes; and Richmond is in a play-in game with Creighton.  We are nowhere to be seen.  AGB91 (I think) asked about Umass restocking in the other thread.  Possible but they need to make all their transfers work and learn to play defense in my book.  The Bonnies are as 72 says, fragile with depth.  Everyone on their bench left after this past year but Schmidt tends to work miracles.  They seem to be this year's Richmond --- an inury or two would really hurt.  But I said that lasdt year.  Osunniyi has only played one full year without injuries --- last year.  I think Lunardi's prediction was made factoring Bones Hyland on the VCU roster.  That will not happen as he went pro and signed with an agent.  He took 34% of all VCU shots last year.  Outside of Vince WIlliams, no one was consistent enough this year to replace that next year.  

Dayton, on paper, appears stocked.  But with Dwayne Cohill transferring, their backcourt lacks depth.  I am assuming the key to the car will be given to Elijah Weaver but he didn't impress me much last year.  Maybe Weaver is better suited at SG and they hand the keys to incoming freshmen Greer or Smith.  Kobe Brea's game reminds me a lot of Gibson Jimerson --- spot up shooter.  Toumani Camara (Georgia) will be an interesting guy to watch as will four-star recruits Holmes and  Washington.  But that is a crowed frontcourt with Amaefule (East Tennesse State), Amzil, Nwojkeji and Blakney.  

If I were predicting the pundits now, the Bonnies will be #1, followed by some combination of Dayton, VCU and Richmond.  I think we'll be fifth.  Umass might be sixth.  The remaining 8 will be overlooked because of bad pasts and uncertain futures.  La Salle.  St. Joes.  Rhode Island.  Duquesne.  Davidson.  Geedubya.  Mason.  And of course Fordham.  

I think the pundits we realize this next year that we should be favored every year... We are losing two very special players, but with what we got coming in and returning - I don't think we will miss a beat. If anything, our offense will be much better with shooters and a big man that can match up against anyone.

31 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

VCU got a commitment from a Pac 10 transfer that is expected to replace most of Hyland's offense.

But its two sides of the same coin - SLU gets "punished" for Goodwin and French leaving but don't get "credit" for having two (former) top 75 recruits to replace them. (I know it isn't that simple but my point stands)

A10Ref and wgstl like this

5 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

But its two sides of the same coin - SLU gets "punished" for Goodwin and French leaving but don't get "credit" for having two (former) top 75 recruits to replace them. (I know it isn't that simple but my point stands)

True, but I think in this case Nesbitt and Okoro don't have the numbers to prove they can fill in, and the dude who is going to vcu from UW has nearly identical numbers as Hyland did last year

21 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

I think the pundits we realize this next year that we should be favored every year... We are losing two very special players, but with what we got coming in and returning - I don't think we will miss a beat. If anything, our offense will be much better with shooters and a big man that can match up against anyone.

I can say without a doubt that the short clip of Okoro posted by someone else impressed me.

10 minutes ago, wgstl said:

True, but I think in this case Nesbitt and Okoro don't have the numbers to prove they can fill in, and the dude who is going to vcu from UW has nearly identical numbers as Hyland did last year

Williams has pretty good numbers, and some of those came against P5 teams. Not saying he's a match to the UW player, but he shouldn't be ignored. 

I know about Tsohonis but we will have to see.  Bones grew up with that team and  Tsohonis an interloper.  Chemistry will be interesting.  Maybe he does and maybe he doesn’t.  Technically, it will be Vince Williams’ team.

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

VCU finished second last year and are expected to finish first next year.  We finished 4th last year and are expected to finish 4th next year.  Their predictions were well . . . predictable.

9 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

VCU finished second last year and are expected to finish first next year.  We finished 4th last year and are expected to finish 4th next year.  Their predictions were well . . . predictable.

VCU will not even be in the top four without Hyland.