Demarius Jacobs enters Transfer Portal

16 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I think it's more that Coach Ford is reluctant to change his "stripes."  Jacobs would thrive in a "system" featuring constant pressure defense and an attacking, early-strike offense.  A bully-ball, half-court grinding style doesn't fit Jacobs's game (nor Strickland's — or Hargrove's, to a lesser extent).  Ford always talks about playing uptempo, in the offseason — and he probably also hints at that when recruiting — but then he can't maintain that for a full season (or even a third of a season) and reverts back to a 7- to 8-man rotation that leaves some guys frustrated.

I'm not saying this to be overly critical of him, but I think if he would or could commit to a player-friendly style (for the type of players he mainly recruits) and maintain it for the whole season, the results would be longer post-season runs, more success, and greater retention of talent.

I agree that there are several players Jacobs, Hargrove , and Strickland that might shine brighter if we went run and gun all the time.  You can't do that ALL THE TIME unless you have better athletes than the whole world.  We don't.  We never will.  We needed Jacobs and Hargrove and Jimmerson and everyone freaking else to hit a few more shots in the offense we had to be successful.  We did not get that production.......

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I think it's more that Coach Ford is reluctant to change his "stripes."  Jacobs would thrive in a "system" featuring constant pressure defense and an attacking, early-strike offense.  A bully-ball, half-court grinding style doesn't fit Jacobs's game (nor Strickland's — or Hargrove's, to a lesser extent).  Ford always talks about playing uptempo, in the offseason — and he probably also hints at that when recruiting — but then he can't maintain that for a full season (or even a third of a season) and reverts back to a 7- to 8-man rotation that leaves some guys frustrated.

I'm not saying this to be overly critical of him, but I think if he would or could commit to a player-friendly style (for the type of players he mainly recruits) and maintain it for the whole season, the results would be longer post-season runs, more success, and greater retention of talent.

I keep hearing about how awesome constant pressing and running all game is.  But I didn't see any of those teams in the Sweet 16.  I did see a bunch of teams that excelled in halfcourt offense or halfcourt defense.  Why is that?

7 hours ago, Crewsorlose said:

I think most of these posts are missing the point. Ford mis-managed DJ, who probably should have gotten some of Jimmerson and Yuri's minutes. Yuri was allowed to make mistakes and learn from them. DJ made mistakes and was yanked. DJ brought defense, rebounding, shooting, and ballhanding. Jimmerson brought.... shooting.

Look, I love all of our guys, but DJ should be pissed, and smart high-majors will look at the tape and realize he was one of SLU's best five players when healthy. 

He was given a chance to start.  He showed he has the ability to be a very impactful  player.  He also disappeared quite a bit.  Watching games I always wondered which DJ was going to show up.  To me it seemed like he lacked the killer instinct.  The talent is there.  I don’t know him personally but he seems like a quality person.  I wish him the best.  But he didn’t seize his opportunity.

10 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I keep hearing about how awesome constant pressing and running all game is.  But I didn't see any of those teams in the Sweet 16.  I did see a bunch of teams that excelled in halfcourt offense or halfcourt defense.  Why is that?

I recall coach RM slowing run and gun teams down by having players break back on defense as soon as the shot went up. Not necessarily all of his players, but enough to stop the fast break.  He would trade offensive rebounds to stop the fast break. Then the fast break team faced defenders and could either take a fast contested shot or go into their half court offense. Pressure goes up on the fast break team when they fallbehind and find themselves playing defense all of the time. The other think is having good ball handlers, so steals are minimized.

10 hours ago, Slowry said:

He was given a chance to start.  He showed he has the ability to be a very impactful  player.  He also disappeared quite a bit.  Watching games I always wondered which DJ was going to show up.  To me it seemed like he lacked the killer instinct.  The talent is there.  I don’t know him personally but he seems like a quality person.  I wish him the best.  But he didn’t seize his opportunity.

This...and it always seemed like he struggled to carve out a primary position. Some on this board like calling him a PG, but he isn't very effective in that role. I wish him the best of luck.

I remember a day when players earned their playing time based upon actual production and didn’t start or get minutes bc of of their style, how they looked playing, how they played 3 games ago or bc its “their turn”now. 

I also remember a day where defense got you playing time and when defense triggered the fast pace so many long for. Allowing the other team to score and then pushing the ball up the floor to throw up the first shot is not any recipe for success and would result in even more complaints and less success.

But who needs this when we should pass out playing time to our favorites?

Not surprised.  You knew it had to happen.  Most of the stuff written above sounds good.  Except Ford mismanaging him.  I agree with all those who questioned which DJ would show up from game to game.  I thought he had tons of talent but was just wildly inconsistent.  Maybe that's on Ford, maybe on Jacobs.  I don't think his style and talents fit Ford's bully ball direction.  My unfortunate memory of DJ will be him losing Crutcher at Chaifetz two years ago so Crutcher could make the three to beat us in OT.  Unfortunately, you remember the bad.

9 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Not surprised.  You knew it had to happen.  Most of the stuff written above sounds good.  Except Ford mismanaging him.  I agree with all those who questioned which DJ would show up from game to game.  I thought he had tons of talent but was just wildly inconsistent.  Maybe that's on Ford, maybe on Jacobs.  I don't think his style and talents fit Ford's bully ball direction.  My unfortunate memory of DJ will be him losing Crutcher at Chaifetz two years ago so Crutcher could make the three to beat us in OT.  Unfortunately, you remember the bad.

-you remember the bad, I remember the made 3's, nice dunks and from all accounts a good teammate 

ACE, Zink and Bizziken like this

11 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Uhhhh... I realize this is apples to oranges when it comes to SLU, but Gonzaga plays at the 6th fastest tempo in the nation.  They don't force a ton of turnovers, but they absolutely run / push the tempo on offense.  Alabama (11th) and Arkansas (19th) also play very fast.

12 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Uhhhh... I realize this is apples to oranges when it comes to SLU, but Gonzaga plays at the 6th fastest tempo in the nation.  They don't force a ton of turnovers, but they absolutely run / push the tempo on offense.  Alabama (11th) and Arkansas (19th) also play very fast.

Because they have skilled offensive basketball players.  Not by constant defensive pressure.  Not by outrunning their offensive deficiencies.  You can't, at least not against good defense.

cgeldmacher likes this

15 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Also, you can say you want to run, but if the other team reacts and defends against it, you are only going to give up turnovers if you push the issue.  Anyone who was paying attention last season saw that we pushed the ball on every turnover or defensive rebound.  However, the other team saw that we were doing this and got back into good defensive position.  Running the entire game only works against inferior teams or lazy teams.  The same is true of us pressing the other team.  It only works against inferior competition.

Everyone wants the high pressure Rick Pitino style attack on offense and defense, but that only worked for him against lesser competition.  When his teams went up against similar competition, which some years wasn't often, pressing and running didn't work at all.

I also wish Demarius the best of luck.  I hope he finds a school where he can get enough minutes to get past his inconsistency issues.

With regard to the idea that Ford mismanaged him, this lazy narrative is used by fans in all sports.  I see it with the Cardinals and the Blues as well.  When someone with potential comes up, fans remember the highlights, but never the struggles.  Then when the player leaves, the coaches get blamed for mismanaging the player.

The reality is that Demarius got the opportunities he deserved to earn more playing time.  So did Hargrove.  So did Thatch.  So did Jimmerson.  So did Perkins after struggling in the first half of last season.  Perkins earned his time and turned into a star.  Demarius just didn't do enough to warrant more time than he was getting.  If Thatch or Hargrove were transferring instead of Demarius, people would be complaining that they should have been given more of a chance and gotten some of Demarius's minutes.

If after this season, you gave me a list of Jimerson, Hargrove, Thatch, and Jacobs and said which of these players would you be most upset about if they left, I would have ranked Jacobs last.  Like I said, I hope he finds success elsewhere, but I'm excited about Ford finding someone else to take this open spot.

dlarry likes this

11 minutes ago, someoneelse said:

Has anyone heard any whispers about where he might land? 

I hope it's a good situation for the school and a better situation for him.  

Pure speculation on my part, but I believe he was initially committed to SIUC before signing with SLU. Obviously different circumstances with new coaching staff in place there, but I'd imagine the Valley would be a solid fit for him regardless.   

i believe jacobs has more ability and natural athleticism that will allow him to look for a higher program than most of the mvc teams.  wouldnt surprise me at all of he doesnt upgrade himself.   

On 4/1/2021 at 10:00 AM, 3star_recruit said:

Because they have skilled offensive basketball players.  Not by constant defensive pressure.  Not by outrunning their offensive deficiencies.  You can't, at least not against good defense.

Not just that, they seamlessly transition into a half court offense, make quick decisions both in the fast break and halfcourt offense. It always pains me to see us pass and stand still, or worse pass have movement then look and look and look all while the defense adjusts to what movement there is.  We need to move through the options quickly, if a pass or lane is there, go.  Granted to more skilled offensive players that you have the better, a single player like Suggs does not make Ganzaga....

I know we look at the COVID pause as the problem with this team this year and there's certainly merit to that.  However, we were able to run on most teams in non-conference, and never really had to play consistently in the halfcouft offense. Entering conference, the scouting is better, knowledge of tendencies, weaknesses etc is better, the intensity is turned up.  Each year Ford's teams have played better as the year went on, sure there were off nights etc, but the trend was improvement, I do not think that happened this year, that I think was due to COVID pause. 

18 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i believe jacobs has more ability and natural athleticism that will allow him to look for a higher program than most of the mvc teams.  wouldnt surprise me at all of he doesnt upgrade himself.   

I would not be surprised to see him land a Loyola... 

I like Jacobs, he could finish,  but was not consistently aggressive enough but when he was he was fantastic.

This may have already been posted, but Ford was on KTRS a couple days ago and basically confirmed that while he wanted Jacobs to return, he also understands why he left. He said Jacobs remains on great terms with everyone in the program and that Ford would be supportive in whatever he does next.

1 minute ago, Compton said:

Can't tell if you're kidding or not, but Jacobs will have better opportunities than the Summit. 

I know that he will get better opportunities, but I was not kidding.  UMKC gave McKissic the exposure to be able to possibly transfer to Kansas for his last season.  We'll see.

• 1 month later...