Demarius Jacobs enters Transfer Portal

We're always going to have good guards transfer because that's where most of the talent on a good team is. There are ton of mid-major programs that could use a Demarius Jacobs.  Not just from a talent perspective, but character wise. 

Demarius battled back from a tough freshman year to become a valuable contributor to this team.  I want all players that demonstrate that level of character to do well, whether they finish as Billikens or not.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

We're always going to have good guards transfer because that's where most of the talent on a good team is. There are ton of mid-major programs that could use a Demarius Jacobs.  Not just from a talent perspective, but character wise. 

Demarius battled back from a tough freshman year to become a valuable contributor to this team.  I want all players that demonstrate that level of character to do well, whether they finish as Billikens or not.

I agree with this point. Some on the board speculated that he might leave following his freshman season where he was stuck on the end of the bench. Kudos to him for sticking it out and becoming a starter as a sophomore and a very valuable 6th man prior to injury this past season.

I think most of these posts are missing the point. Ford mis-managed DJ, who probably should have gotten some of Jimmerson and Yuri's minutes. Yuri was allowed to make mistakes and learn from them. DJ made mistakes and was yanked. DJ brought defense, rebounding, shooting, and ballhanding. Jimmerson brought.... shooting.

Look, I love all of our guys, but DJ should be pissed, and smart high-majors will look at the tape and realize he was one of SLU's best five players when healthy. 

hmart23 likes this

4 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

I think most of these posts are missing the point. Ford mis-managed DJ, who probably should have gotten some of Jimmerson and Yuri's minutes. Yuri was allowed to make mistakes and learn from them. DJ made mistakes and was yanked. DJ brought defense, rebounding, shooting, and ballhanding. Jimmerson brought.... shooting.

Look, I love all of our guys, but DJ should be pissed, and smart high-majors will look at the tape and realize he was one of SLU's best five players when healthy. 

I agree with the above. Actually, I think he was our most all around skilled player. Some coach is going to look at his game films and say, "hey this kid is very very good." His baseline dunks alone should be enough. I don't know if Travis had any issues with him, but the only knock I had with him was he didn't bring his A game night in and night out. Even really good players will have off nights. Demarius seemed to have too many of them, but when he was on he was certainly fun to watch. 

hmart23 likes this

16 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

We were watching different games then

13 minutes ago, Brighton said:

No question. Ford mishandled this big time.

what in the world

BilliesBy40 and AGB91 like this

i sympathize with coach ford on this one.   he had a slew of guards this year that are all extremely talented and athletic and all likely believe they should be starting and playing lion's minutes.   obviously they cant all get 34 minutes a game.   ford isnt going to lie to them.   he isnt that kind of a person.   someone was bound to get the slighted feeling.  i will be surprised if jacobs is the only defector with our situation.  

Just now, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Markhi the same player with a higher cieling. Free him. Dj underachieved every year here/ struggled with injuries but he seemed like a great teammate and hopefully he can continue his career successfully elsewhere. You trolls are funny lol. 

One is a pg/combo guard, the other is a wing/ SF.  High flying is really the only thing they have in common.

28 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

Come on, get real. Jacobs got a lot of minutes before getting hurt in the URI game. He was like our 6th starter.  Look at his season game log. He was clearly a different player after he got hurt and by that time, Fred was playing better. When you're on a team with depth, you have to battle for playing time, as it should be. Some players are going to transfer. It's happening all over college basketball. 

1 hour ago, Crewsorlose said:

Ford must  mismanaged nothing.   Only 7 or 8 guys are going to get significant minutes.  DJ was in the 8 man rotation, but after covid he clearly slipped for whatever reason.  Also, he is probably "reading the tea leaves".  SLU likely will pick up a transfer or two that will directly impact his playing time.  Strickland and Hargrove are coming on strong.  They may not directly compete with DJ, but with college basketball moving to multiple wing players, who can handle the ball, maybe.  Most players want to start .... likely that change irked DJ as well.

AGB91 likes this

Think he was misused most of his SLU career. Statistically the most efficient offensive player we had. Played great as the ball handler in the pick and roll his sophomore year. Instead it seemed like our offensive game plan had him stand in the corner and wait. Bummer that our most versatile offensive player aside from Javonte wasn’t give more of a role. Hope he gets a role he can thrive in so where else. 

Crewsorlose and Box and Won like this

If you put Yuri more in the 15-20mpg range, and played DJ more, along with J-Good, as duel PGs, I think the team has a higher ceiling. Yuri is a pure PG, but there were too many games where we could have used more scoring and more length on D. Jacobs had the best basketball body on the team.

I'll say it again: Ford mismanaged it. DJ should have gotten more of Yuri's minutes last year and this year. Ford was always willing to give Yuri the keys and Jacobs has a higher ceiling as a player. I think Ford is enamored with Yuri's leadership, toughness, and passing. I get it. I love Yuri too. Jacobs didn't have a great motor and got disciplined for something in Feb 2020. Also seemed like the kind of player who didn't appreciate getting yelled at constantly.   

BuiltFordBills likes this

1 hour ago, Crewsorlose said:

If you put Yuri more in the 15-20mpg range, and played DJ more, along with J-Good, as duel PGs, I think the team has a higher ceiling. Yuri is a pure PG, but there were too many games where we could have used more scoring and more length on D. Jacobs had the best basketball body on the team.

I'll say it again: Ford mismanaged it. DJ should have gotten more of Yuri's minutes last year and this year. Ford was always willing to give Yuri the keys and Jacobs has a higher ceiling as a player. I think Ford is enamored with Yuri's leadership, toughness, and passing. I get it. I love Yuri too. Jacobs didn't have a great motor and got disciplined for something in Feb 2020. Also seemed like the kind of player who didn't appreciate getting yelled at constantly.   

I think it's more that Coach Ford is reluctant to change his "stripes."  Jacobs would thrive in a "system" featuring constant pressure defense and an attacking, early-strike offense.  A bully-ball, half-court grinding style doesn't fit Jacobs's game (nor Strickland's — or Hargrove's, to a lesser extent).  Ford always talks about playing uptempo, in the offseason — and he probably also hints at that when recruiting — but then he can't maintain that for a full season (or even a third of a season) and reverts back to a 7- to 8-man rotation that leaves some guys frustrated.

I'm not saying this to be overly critical of him, but I think if he would or could commit to a player-friendly style (for the type of players he mainly recruits) and maintain it for the whole season, the results would be longer post-season runs, more success, and greater retention of talent.

willie and billiken_roy like this