Consolidated A10 Transfer List 2021

Taj79

I'm a little surprised Mitchell hasn't landed yet.  Outside of Kellan Grady, he was the best of the bunch leaving the A10.  Even Joel Soriano landed at St. John's already and while he is comparable in size, he didn't put up the numbers Mitchell did.  The high school coach Bergeron was part of the Mitchell-to-Umass deal.  Maybe there's the hang up.  Bergeron lives with Mitchell's mom, per the Umass site.  Mitchell was originally from the Pittsburgh area.  

Umass has added volume shooters in Rich and CJ Kelly.  TJ Weeks and Noah Fernandes are in that category as well.  Will Michael Steadman have success coming from Montana and the Big Sky where he averaged 10 and 5.  Hard to tell.  Mark Gasperini didn't make an impact last year (2/2) coming from American.  

The last two years I watched Umass, McCall always ran a fullcourt press which was nothign but a matador defense.  I think Umass' success next year will hinge on adding defense to the team.  CJ Kelly essentially replaces Carl Pierre and Rich Kelly plays the same position as Fernandes.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, AGB91 said:

Are there any rumors about where Mitchell will land?

Definitely classify this post as rumors, as my source is the UMass BB forum.  And we know how accurate forums can be.

First, everyone was looking for a package deal of Bergeron and Mitchell.  That doesn't look like it is happening. 

Second, mention has been made of 'twitter chatter' for Mitchell heading to Illinois or UNC.

Third, a group believes he will return to Amherst.

The forum didn't have many who thought he would go pro.

Hall was arguably the Joey's second best player behind Daly.  He could do more than Funk but he was just too slow on the reflexes to be a true point guard.  He was the brightest spot for a lost Joeys campaign and a large hit for Billy Lange going  forward.

25 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Huge for the Spiders 

Richmond will be very good, but IMO their ceiling is limited by their lack of athleticism and ballhandlers who can make plays off the dribble. Francis had his issues, but he was the only guy on that roster who could really create his own shot 1v1. Maybe Burton grows into that role.

1 minute ago, NH said:

Richmond will be very good, but IMO their ceiling is limited by their lack of athleticism and ballhandlers who can make plays off the dribble. Francis had his issues, but he was the only guy on that roster who could really create his own shot 1v1. Maybe Burton grows into that role.

I agree with this plus we've had no issue with Richmond in recent years due to exactly what you've said. I also think bringing back guys that have nearly maxed potential won't move their needle much higher but simply maintain consistency. For example, if French came back I think it would answer questions for us but not necessarily make us better.

AGB91 likes this

6 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

I agree with this plus we've had no issue with Richmond in recent years due to exactly what you've said. I also think bringing back guys that have nearly maxed potential won't move their needle much higher but simply maintain consistency. For example, if French came back I think it would answer questions for us but not necessarily make us better.

This is a great point. I don’t really blame people for overreacting to it, it’s a lot easier to predict a team will be good when you already know what they have. We obviously have some question marks with French and JGood leaving. But just because the questions exist don’t mean they won’t be answered. And we still have 2 open scholarships left. But I’m fully prepared for everybody to have Bonnies at 1 (justifiably) and Richmond at 2 in the A10 going into the season. And I’m fully prepared for Richmond to underachieve again next year.

44 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Crutcher. Gone.

The Dayton faithful on UDPride were expecting this.  They are still hoping Ibi Watson returns.  He is the only potential returnee that has not declared his future intentions.

26 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Kevin Easley, Jr. (TCU) is going to Duquesne. Former SLU offer, Indianapolis-area player.

Third stop for 6'7" Easley.  Went for 14.2 ppg/6.7 rpg at Chattanooga, Southern Conference ROY, sat a year, then 4.5 ppg/3.7 rpg as a part time starter at TCU.  Was dynamite at Lawrence N High School making the Indy HS All Star team. 

According to the Duquense fan forum, Michael Hughes hasn't totally shut the door on returning to the Dukes, if overseas offers aren't what he expects.  Count this only as a rumor.

15 hours ago, NH said:

Sherod hit 43.8% from the arc in 2019-2020 (78-178).  Francis was 36.0% this past season, (49-136).  If Sherod can regain his stroke and remain healthy, he could be a significant factor for the Spiders.

And still no news on Mitchell. I figured when he left UMass he'd have been pursued by a lot of P5-7 big name powers. Like UK, KU, Nova, MD, etc. Wonder why the delay, unless he's committed to a non sanctioned NCAA agent.