Porter Moser

12 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Porter has produced yet another very well coached team.  Illinois may have had the talent, but Loyola had a game plan and executed it to perfection.  

It wasn’t a game plan.  It was relentless implementation of fundamentals in practice which allowed them to execute their game plan and beat a team with far superior athletic ability 

HoosierPal and slufanskip like this

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

“She”? You should choose your words more carefully. Now we can all surmise that Porter Moser was driven away by Situation I. Du duh duhhhh!!!

:)

No. Moser did nothing wrong.  In fact the story demonstrates what a wonderful man he is.

Majerus hAD a staff of Moser and Whitesell.  Moser left for the Loyola job with Rick's blessing and on came Alex Jensen.  The Cleveland D League team stole Jensen in a September or October, right before the start og our season and Majerus went to good friend [dead] who was recently fired from Army to fill the spot.  When Majerus took ill, I believe he selected [dead] over Whitesell to hold the spot fo rhim.  He died.  Chris May promoted [dead[.  Whitesell took off for St. John's and is now HC at Buffalo.

34 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Majerus hAD a staff of Moser and Whitesell.  Moser left for the Loyola job with Rick's blessing and on came Alex Jensen.  The Cleveland D League team stole Jensen in a September or October, right before the start og our season and Majerus went to good friend [dead] who was recently fired from Army to fill the spot.  When Majerus took ill, I believe he selected [dead] over Whitesell to hold the spot fo rhim.  He died.  Chris May promoted [dead[.  Whitesell took off for St. John's and is now HC at Buffalo.

You’re forgetting that [dead] won National coach of the year and took slu to be the highest seed they’ve ever been in the tournament. Then he was hired full-time. 

2 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

You’re forgetting that [dead] won National coach of the year and took slu to be the highest seed they’ve ever been in the tournament. Then he was hired full-time. 

Not saying this changes must of your story Taj, but I think it is important context. 

slufanskip likes this

15 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

Not saying this changes must of your story Taj, but I think it is important context. 

No doesn’t change it at all. Any one of us MBM‘s could have coached equally as well as Jim Crews. In fact several on this Board could’ve done better. 

Just now, Clock_Tower said:

No doesn’t change it at all. Any one of us MBM‘s could have coached equally as well as Jim Crews. In fact several on this Board could’ve done better. 

Hahahaha yes. I coach best on my couch with a bud light. In fact, kelvin sampson could really use me right now. 

1 hour ago, A10Ref said:

We really need to let go of the Jim Crews hate. He was a really (or at least pretty) good coach at one time. He ran out of gas. He should have retired, and thought about retiring, then tried to keep going with us, but just didn’t have it. We have every right to be mad. But time heals all wounds. He coached some of the best teams in Bills history. He at least didn’t screw that run up, and others might have. It honestly takes wisdom to know when not to tweak with a good team.

Travis Ford has turned the corner. It is time to start remembering the good things from Crews.

9 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

We really need to let go of the Jim Crews hate. He was a really (or at least pretty) good coach at one time. He ran out of gas. He should have retired, and thought about retiring, then tried to keep going with us, but just didn’t have it. We have every right to be mad. But time heals all wounds. He coached some of the best teams in Bills history. He at least didn’t screw that run up, and others might have. It honestly takes wisdom to know when not to tweak with a good team.

Travis Ford has turned the corner. It is time to start remembering the good things from Crews.

Tell that to the people here that lived through Ekker and Grawer. 

billiken_roy likes this

11 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Wrong.  Jim Crews should never have been hired, and if so, should have had a minimal buy out. Our AD who hired him is still here cashing his paychecks. Our program stupidly hired him and stuck with him too long to allow the program to sink to new depths.  And BTW, Crews underperformed with a stacked team - the best I have seen assembled here at SLU, so I choose not to think back and at Jum Crews positively. Crews added no help and then left an empty cupboard - which is relevant for our current status of the program. 
Nonetheless, Ford quickly rebuilt this program from scratch only to be set back by a dishonest and uncontrolled campus department in S2 only to again rebuild and have COVID take away last post season and then to come back this year only to have its own campus COVID “police” and City of St Louis ignore science to ruin this season causing basketball neophytes on this Board to unfairly take shots at our head coach. 

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

What good things?

A competent coach gets one of those teams to the elite eight.

8 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

My impression is that Majerus actually told Moser to take the job.

Your impression because that is what happened. Unless those who repeat it, I believe Cusamano is one, Porter himself may be another are lying.

It would also be revisionist history for many to suggest they would have been on-board with hiring Porter back then.  Many on this board were less than impressed by the handful of games he coached when Rick was out. 

Most belief in Porter back then came from having an “in Majerus we trust” attitude. Rick always made a point to specify that Porter was not an assistant coach but his associate head coach.

14 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

My impression is that Majerus actually told Moser to take the job.

I believe that but had Loyola not offered the job he couldn't take it.  RM probably tell Moser to take the job because by that time RM had had his fill of Biondi.

6 hours ago, ARon said:

It would also be revisionist history for many to suggest they would have been on-board with hiring Porter back then.  Many on this board were less than impressed by the handful of games he coached when Rick was out. 

Most belief in Porter back then came from having an “in Majerus we trust” attitude. Rick always made a point to specify that Porter was not an assistant coach but his associate head coach.

I wish I had the time to dig into the archive of this Board regarding Porter. No one was really was high on Porter. When Majerus had him fill-in, I don't believe he won a game. Back then, the board was high on Harriman. He'll make us the next St Mary's. Not to what is said here really matters.

When Porter left for Loyola, he did not turn them around over-night. His record his 1st 2 years in the weak Horizon was he had Loyola as the doormat. Then when Loyola switched to the MVC the attitude was, he is only going to make a bad situation worse. I recall watching Loyola and you could see him trying to institute a Magerus type style and the players were just not getting it. Kind of like the 1st 2 years of Majerus tenure here only Loyola had less talent. Porter in his 4th year did score a CBI championship, probably saved his job. Then the 7th year it all clicked with the final 4. He is young and if he remains he can possibly turn them out to be Gonzaga Midwest for the next decade. If he goes to some P6 school, he risks what Dan Monson & and now Archie Miller is. 

Good for Loyola on sticking with him. Also in fairness to Porter, when he was at Ill State, he was screwed by the the AD situation they had. I seem to recall Majerus telling the story on one his radio shows.

A10Ref and 3star_recruit like this

1 hour ago, tarheelbilliken said:

I wish I had the time to dig into the archive of this Board regarding Porter. No one was really was high on Porter. When Majerus had him fill-in, I don't believe he won a game. Back then, the board was high on Harriman. He'll make us the next St Mary's. Not to what is said here really matters.

When Porter left for Loyola, he did not turn them around over-night. His record his 1st 2 years in the weak Horizon was he had Loyola as the doormat. Then when Loyola switched to the MVC the attitude was, he is only going to make a bad situation worse. I recall watching Loyola and you could see him trying to institute a Magerus type style and the players were just not getting it. Kind of like the 1st 2 years of Majerus tenure here only Loyola had less talent. Porter in his 4th year did score a CBI championship, probably saved his job. Then the 7th year it all clicked with the final 4. He is young and if he remains he can possibly turn them out to be Gonzaga Midwest for the next decade. If he goes to some P6 school, he risks what Dan Monson & and now Archie Miller is. 

Good for Loyola on sticking with him. Also in fairness to Porter, when he was at Ill State, he was screwed by the the AD situation they had. I seem to recall Majerus telling the story on one his radio shows.

A friend of mine son played for him at Illinois State. He was known as a good guy but not a good coach. Some how his contract was never signed so it was easy to let him go. 

2 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

There were definitely some people who were very high on Porter Moser at the time and even more people who were low on Jim Crews at the time. Our recruiting took a nosedive after Porter left and I do think the trajectory of the program looks different if he were able to stick around for another year prior to taking a head coaching job. The timing of him leaving right before Majerus’ health took a turn for the worse was unfortunate.

Porter seems like a really good coach who has that program humming. That said, I think SLU can and will find coaches who are as good for our program as he would’ve been. I don’t think he’s the next Brad Stevens or Chris Beard, but would have him a level below that.

JMM28 and thatskablamo like this