Porter Moser

Porter Moser wasn’t good enough to be the SLU coach after Majerus, he wanted the job too. But same guy that pushed him out hired Crews and what we have now. Not to mention same guy that got out maneuvered by Creighton trying to get into Big East. 

At least we got to go to the NCAA’s one time in last five years after 6th place finish in A10 that season. 

Very happy for Loyola and Coach Moser. Good things happen to good people and people that aren’t so good, eventually karma comes around and this time it sure looks a lot like Sister Jean, Porter Moser and the Ramblers! 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Billy Ken said:

Porter Moser wasn’t good enough to be the SLU coach after Majerus, he wanted the job too. But same guy that pushed him out hired Crews and what we have now. Not to mention same guy that got out maneuvered by Creighton trying to get into Big East. 

At least we got to go to the NCAA’s one time in last five years after 6th place finish in A10 that season. 

Very happy for Loyola and Coach Moser. Good things happen to good people and people that aren’t so good, eventually karma comes around and this time it sure looks a lot like Sister Jean, Porter Moser and the Ramblers! 

I don’t think the rant on Biondi has much merit here considering all the positive things he did for the University in general. SLU is more than a place where basketball is played. 

But - you do make a valid point - the swings-and-misses are adding up in Midtown. 

5 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

Sounds a little revisionist history.  Moser left not because he was pushed out but because he was offered a head coaching job in Chicago where his wife is from and wanted to go back home.  Why wouldn't he take the job - more money and a chance to run the show.  Biondi had nothing to do with him leaving.  The Crews fiasco was all RM.

15 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

This is wrong. 

15 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Sounds a little revisionist history.  Moser left not because he was pushed out but because he was offered a head coaching job in Chicago where his wife is from and wanted to go back home.  Why wouldn't he take the job - more money and a chance to run the show.  Biondi had nothing to do with him leaving.  The Crews fiasco was all RM.

My impression is that Majerus actually told Moser to take the job.

18 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

actually ken isnt too far off from the truth.   it was porter's choice to leave.  but there were circumstances that drove him to that.   

3 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

Do explain please

cant.   close friend is my source that swore me to secrecy.   she would know it came from me.  sorry.  

20 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

My impression is that Majerus actually told Moser to take the job.

Yes. And Majerus coached another year so there was no HC job open at SLU when he went to Loyola.

Who knows what would have happened had Porter stayed. 

Who didn't know we'd get a post about Porter, especially after ULC goes to another Sweet 16. And here we lowly Billikens sit licking our wounds from an NIT loss in the first rd.  I do think that if RM really wanted Porter to succeed him, he would have let his intentions known prior to the '11-12 season. What I recall was that Porter's wife wanted him away from RM whom she did not like at all, and she wanted to go back to sweet home Chicago. Life has many different and unforeseeable twists and turns. This is one of those. Of course, we do seem to get our fair share of these. We're cursed. I don't know who or what is responsible for the curse, but I'm laying it on that exorcism we did back in the 50's. 

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Who is RM?

7 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Has there ever been a coach who has turned their career around this late?  Moser's lifetime winning percentage after seventeen seasons is .548.  The last four years have been an amazing story.

Porter is only 52. 

I can’t think of a coach who was kept in his current capacity through years of mediocrity only to find lightning in a bottle late. Either he came in hot and cooled down over time like a Rollie Massimino or got hot mid-career with bookended cooling periods like a Jimmy Boehiem. Some of these guys are like tenured profs with a clipboard. See Carneseca, Lou for more. 

11 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Has there ever been a coach who has turned their career around this late?  Moser's lifetime winning percentage after seventeen seasons is .548.  The last four years have been an amazing story.

Loyola was a below average Horizon League program and had been stuck in the position since we left that league.  The administration knew it would take time to get that program going and gave Moser that time to build. His record would have improved quicker if they hadn’t took the step up from the Horizon to the Valley

27 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Agreed. I admit that I haven’t been a big fan of Porter. And in my own defense, he wasn’t much of a coach when he arrived here at SLU.  Young guy. Tried hard. Recruiting accolades. Not an x’s and o’s guy.  Complement to RM. 

IMO, and from a distance and without inside information other than being a MBM, Porter had a true conversion and really did learn alot from RM.  Sure, recruiting is the lifeline of college sports, and sure you cannot teach height or athletic ability but Porter is winning bc he has implemented RM’s fundamentals and has demanded /recruited kids who are willing implement these fundamentals. 
Personally, I have not seen screens set and used like they do since RM - and that includes Jett, McCall etc on auto pilot under Jim Crews. 
JGood, Perkins, French, Yuri don’t set, wait for or even use a real screen. 

Not lightning in a bottle, luck... just fundamentals, attention to details and kids who can shoot.  Fundamentals are timeless.