GDT: NIT Round 1 vs Mississippi State

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I would love for the combo guard to be named later to be as quick as Yuri.  We have some leapers but we don't have the foot speed and ballhandling on the perimeter that we did with Jett, McCall and Mitchell. We have high jumpers that are heavily dependent on Yuri to get them the ball.  If you slow down Yuri, you neutralize the other guys.

Sorry. I am likely in the small minority here but PG remains a huge problem for us. Goodwin’s unique skills and leadership helped at PG this year when Yuri needed a break or was injured, but JGood is/was not a PG. And while the offense flows better with Yuri, and while Yuri is an asset to this team, we will have similar issues and again struggle against better teams next year if Yuri plays more than 20 mpg. Perkins yes. Okoro I assume.  Not only does Yuri need to improve offensively (I give him the benefit of the doubt) but his decision making has been poor these past few weeks (not sure that can improve) and his  height will not improve (easy to shoot over). Again,  MIss State did not even guard him in the second half but doubled on Perkins. And Yuri bothers the other PG dribbling but otherwise plays little defense. This team has other issues too (not all blame on Yuri) but perimeter defense will not improve with Yuri who even got posted up and burned bad by their equally small PG, Iverson Molinar, yesterday.  And poor defense and turnovers place even more pressure on the offense. 

Bizziken, Schasz and CBFan like this

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Sorry. I am likely in the small minority here but PG remains a huge problem for us. Goodwin’s unique skills and leadership helped at PG this year when Yuri needed a break or was injured, but JGood is/was not a PG. And while the offense flows better with Yuri, and while Yuri is an asset to this team, we will have similar issues and again struggle against better teams next year if Yuri plays more than 20 mpg. Perkins yes. Okoro I assume.  Not only does Yuri need to improve offensively (I give him the benefit of the doubt) but his decision making has been poor these past few weeks (not sure that can improve) and his  height will not improve (easy to shoot over). Again,  MIss State did not even guard him in the second half but doubled on Perkins. And Yuri bothers the other PG dribbling but otherwise plays little defense. This team has other issues too (not all blame on Yuri) but perimeter defense will not improve with Yuri who even got posted up and burned bad by their equally small PG, Iverson Molinar, yesterday.  And poor defense and turnovers place even more pressure on the offense. 

I understand Yuri's limitations but finding a point guard of the caliber you describe on the transfer market is even more difficult than finding a quality big man.  Maybe you could find a point guard out of high school to push Yuri for minutes.  Maybe.

6 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I understand Yuri's limitations but finding a point guard of the caliber you describe on the transfer market is even more difficult than finding a quality big man.  Maybe you could find a point guard out of high school to push Yuri for minutes.  Maybe.

Not seeing  “pass first” PGs in the Tournament. 

Also not seeing bigs like French and Bell.  And not cherry-picking from a top rated program but I would trade them for Jaquez and Juzang all day long.  Remember when our bigs could shoot ? And not just FTs and from within 5 foot?   Cody Ellis and Rob Loe 

Most talented team in our lifetime?   I would take Ellis, Loe, Evans, Jett and McCall over this year’s team?

BRoy. Close your ears but I would have already run off Jacobs by now. 

1 minute ago, Clock_Tower said:

Also not seeing bigs like French and Bell.  And not cherry-picking from a top rated program but I would trade them for Jaquez and Juzang all day long.  Remember when our bigs could shoot ? And not just FTs and from within 5 foot?   Cody Ellis and Rob Loe 

Most talented team in our lifetime?   I would take Ellis, Loe, Evans, Jett and McCall over this year’s team?

in my  college sports world, "run off" is a curse word.

28 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

A pass first point guard led Virginia's team to the championship two years ago. 

There's so many crazy things that have happened this year and in this tournament I'm not sure if it's a one-off or a sign of things to come.  But I do like mid-majors getting the best of high-majors.  Even if it's temporary.

18 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

There's so many crazy things that have happened this year and in this tournament I'm not sure if it's a one-off or a sign of things to come.  But I do like mid-majors getting the best of high-majors.  Even if it's temporary.

And the year before that, a pass first 16 seed PG from UMBC did the athletic equivalent to lightning striking a lotto winner. :)

9 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Hey guys, stop the presses. Clock said he would trade two of SLU’s big men for top 75 recruits!

while we’re at it, I’d trade Yuri for Jalen Suggs and Goodwin for Cade Cunningham. 

Brilliant stuff here

BilliesBy40 and TheA_Bomb like this

16 hours ago, slu72 said:

Our perimeter D was hurting before the Covid. It stunk post covid. I think this played the largest part in our decline. Way too many uncontested 3's, and we couldn't counter as our 3% went MIA. 

Bingo, season in a nutshell ... tough ending but likely three straight years of playing beyond the A10 tourney...psyched for next year.

9 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Yes. And Michael Jordan and I played the same position.  What’s your point? All pass first PGs - whatever that term means - the same?  Because I was good in high school but Michael was better.