GDT: NIT Round 1 vs Mississippi State

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, AnkielBreakers said:

I don’t understand this season. Just gonna have to let this one go. 

One NCAA tournament victory in 21 seasons.  He is what he is.  He is a guy that recruits enough talent to leave you disappointed while still having above average teams.

TheChosenOne likes this

19 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Joelabs, Brighton and Bonner. Troll so hard universit

So, telling the truth is trolling? Go ahead and defend ford and that 1 tourney win in 21 seasons. Ill wait.  I like Ford. He is a nice guy. The players seem to like him. But with Xs and Os he is lost.

32 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Joelabs could be a troll, but that wasn’t a troll post.  Ford being the answer all depends on what your expectations are.  I wasn’t in favor of hiring Crews or Ford because I feared the results we got.  While I wanted Crews fired, I don’t think I want Ford to leave.  

I don’t have faith in SLU not hiring the wrong guy like they did the last two times.  Keeping Ford is far preferable to another Crews hire.  Ford will at least get us to the tournament on what for SLU would be a semi regular basis.

SLU totally screwed up when they hired Crews when they had a program that had better options willing to consider taking the job than at any other point in my lifetime.  It was the only time ever SLU will have a ready made top 20 program to offer a potential coach and from that position of power they hired Crews. Total SLU move.

27 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Too bad he’s right. Ford is a major disappointment. If you aren’t frustrated now, when will you be? Two years from now after we’ve played one NCAA tournament game in Ford’s 7 seasons? It’s not hard to see where this is heading.

1 minute ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

Ford may not be the answer but who would be better, right now, given the state of the program?

This isn’t the right mindset. It isn’t our job to find the replacement. The way I view it, we’ve seen our ceiling under Ford. Why not try to find someone who could provide a higher ceiling?
To provide a fun answer: I’d take Archie Miller today and never look back.

1 minute ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Too bad he’s right. Ford is a major disappointment. If you aren’t frustrated now, when will you be? Two years from now after we’ve played one NCAA tournament game in Ford’s 7 seasons? It’s not hard to see where this is heading.

I see where it is heading. The 2022 final four. Honestly, you don’t know where it is heading. Early in the season we played great basketball with a style different then anything Ford has done at SLU. Covid pause. Then, nothing really worked. Tried to go back to his regular style, with more Bell and Linssen inside, and we were pretty good, but not good enough. Just a weird year.

If I have one nit with Ford this season, it is that we switched to his original style in the last 1/6 of the season. There isn’t really an explanation, other than an injury to Jacobs, and a decline in Jimerson’s play. It seemed like a good move, but also a tough move to make. We had to replace the 16-18 points they were scoring, and we didn’t. I am sure there was a logic to it all, but we don’t really see all if the information.

slufanskip likes this

2 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I see where it is heading. The 2022 final four. Honestly, you don’t know where it is heading. Early in the season we played great basketball with a style different then anything Ford has done at SLU. Covid pause. Then, nothing really worked. Tried to go back to his regular style, with more Bell and Linssen inside, and we were pretty good, but not good enough. Just a weird year.

If I have one nit with Ford this season, it is that we switched to his original style in the last 1/6 of the season. There isn’t really an explanation, other than an injury to Jacobs, and a decline in Jimerson’s play. It seemed like a good move, but also a tough move to make. We had to replace the 16-18 points they were scoring, and we didn’t. I am sure there was a logic to it all, but we don’t really see all if the information.

Sure, it’s speculation (albeit educated). But if you think next year will turn out better than this season I don’t know what to tell you. I hope I’m wrong, because Ford will get at least 2 more years.

1 minute ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Sure, it’s speculation (albeit educated). But if you think next year will turn out better than this season I don’t know what to tell you. I hope I’m wrong, because Ford will get at least 2 more years.

Gotta love this board. Last week everyone was worried he was leaving because his house was on the market. Now. “He can’t coach” Is this year a disappointment? Sure. Travis’s problem was he raised expectations. I for one am excited about next year, but I have been saying that for 50 years.  We will have some transfers. We will have some new players. Maybe 2022 will be the year. 

4 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Next year could very well turn out to be different.  If Okoro is 100% back, he is by far the most complete big man in the A10.  You only get a big man with his size and skill set once a decade in the A10.  He is the type a player, barring defections, the returning roster can ride to an A10 championship.  

I don’t think the team would have the upside potential this season’s had, but with a 100% Okoro the downside potential next year I think is lower.  I think next year’s roster is easier for a guy like Ford to coach. Ford isn’t meant to coach a roster built for Tom Izzo.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

The most talented Billiken roster of my lifetime delivered the most disappointing season compared to what should have happened ever.  I really don’t know how describe what I am feeling now.  Not anger, just the sad realization this is probably as good as it gets.  Seasons where we either meet expectations or slightly exceed when they aren’t very high, mixed with soul crushing disappointment when expectations are anything beyond a first round victory

Good post.  Tough finish to such a promising season. 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Joelabs could be a troll, but that wasn’t a troll post.  Ford being the answer all depends on what your expectations are.  I wasn’t in favor of hiring Crews or Ford because I feared the results we got.  While I wanted Crews fired, I don’t think I want Ford to leave.  

I don’t have faith in SLU not hiring the wrong guy like they did the last two times.  Keeping Ford is far preferable to another Crews hire.  Ford will at least get us to the tournament on what for SLU would be a semi regular basis.

SLU totally screwed up when they hired Crews when they had a program that had better options willing to consider taking the job than at any other point in my lifetime.  It was the only time ever SLU will have a ready made top 20 program to offer a potential coach and from that position of power they hired Crews. Total SLU move.

Enough time has passed since Crews was given the keys to Majerus team that I don't recall who the Bills other options were for HC. Frankly, I wasn't big on Ford as HC and would shed no tears if he found a better gig and left the Bills now.

59 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Next year could very well turn out to be different.  If Okoro is 100% back, he is by far the most complete big man in the A10.  You only get a big man with his size and skill set once a decade in the A10.  He is the type a player, barring defections, the returning roster can ride to an A10 championship.  

I don’t think the team would have the upside potential this season’s had, but with a 100% Okoro the downside potential next year I think is lower.  I think next year’s roster is easier for a guy like Ford to coach. Ford isn’t meant to coach a roster built for Tom Izzo.

You’re higher on Okoro than I am. I sure hope you’re right. 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Spot on. You’re on fire tonight. Will be interesting to see how Francis bodies up against OO from Bona. He humbled Has in the conference tournament. That will be must-see-TV.