GDT: NIT Round 1 vs Mississippi State

1 minute ago, SLUDrew said:

Rotation was baffling today. Too much Bell. Not nearly enough GJ when we so desperately needed someone who could knock down an outside shot. 

In the first half, they panned the SLU bench and he was still in warmups and you could just tell in his eyes he was somewhere else. This year has taken the life out of some of these guys - much like it has a lot of us. Color commentator on ESPN said how important mental health is/was for these coaches to check in on. Hopefully our staff and medical team used all resources available to keep tabs on the team. Just a bummer of a season. Let’s regroup for fall camp and make 21-22 a season to remember for good reasons. 

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Taj79 said:

I can honestly say I want Perkins, Hargrove;, Linssen, Strickland and maybe Collins.  I don’t really care about the rest right now.  

I'd add Thatch to that group. Plus we do have Okoro coming in. More size than Has. I'm hopeful. Got to keep Yurimania because his role has to change to being more of a scorer. i don't know what happened to Jacobs and Gibby's games but post covid they disappeared. We need some shooters. 

Where we go from here?  We’ll go here —— walk it up basketball, running useless weaves and motions, then do a clear out for Perkins with 7 seconds on the shot clock.  Okoro will be expected to play the French role.  Thatch will likely be Goodwin.  He already shoots like him so it won’t change any.  Hargrove will launch threes and —- miss or make —- disappear to the bench for long periods of time.

1 minute ago, Taj79 said:

Where we go from here?  We’ll go here —— walk it up basketball, running useless weaves and motions, then do a clear out for Perkins with 7 seconds on the shot clock.  Okoro will be expected to play the French role.  Thatch will likely be Goodwin.  He already shoots like him so it won’t change any.  Hargrove will launch threes and —- miss or make —- disappear to the bench for long periods of time.

Let's wait for the where do we go from here thread which will surely start pretty soon. I'm just too bummed to give my thoughts right now. I got a little single malt brain fog going right now.  

thatskablamo likes this

I was thinking about next season during the game

YC

GJ

JP

TH

FO

Solid front court with L and JBJ 

But I'm worried about guards with FT and DJ as they haven't produced. 

This is Travis's 5th year and honestly one has to ask the question - is he capable of getting us over the hump.  So far not so sure about him.  Two weeks or so ago I said I was tired of listening to the Covid excuses - I am now really done listening to it.  I know for some Yuri can do no harm but the second half of the season he was not the player we had hoped for.  French - I know he wanted to win but as a senior you can not make that dumb play with the over and back.  Problem was he had no business bringing the ball up.  He had two guards waiting for the ball but he insisted on dribbling it up and he created the turning part of the game.  Tied and our ball with the momentum pushing us.  That play took the wind out of our sails.  It was much like when he fouled the VCU player on that 3 pt shot that he did not need to do - that costs us that game.  I am not  meaning to blame the players so much as wondering why it kept happening.  At some point the coach has to be held accountable.  

thatskablamo likes this

The most talented Billiken roster of my lifetime delivered the most disappointing season compared to what should have happened ever.  I really don’t know how describe what I am feeling now.  Not anger, just the sad realization this is probably as good as it gets.  Seasons where we either meet expectations or slightly exceed when they aren’t very high, mixed with soul crushing disappointment when expectations are anything beyond a first round victory

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

The most talented Billiken roster of my lifetime delivered the most disappointing season compared to what should have happened ever.  I really don’t know how describe what I am feeling now.  Not anger, just the sad realization this is probably as good as it gets.  Seasons where we either meet expectations or slightly exceed when they aren’t very high, mixed with soul crushing disappointment.

Soul Crushing. I agree.

brianstl likes this

11 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The most talented Billiken roster of my lifetime delivered the most disappointing season compared to what should have happened ever.  I really don’t know how describe what I am feeling now.  Not anger, just the sad realization this is probably as good as it gets.  Seasons where we either meet expectations or slightly exceed when they aren’t very high, mixed with soul crushing disappointment when expectations are anything beyond a first round victory

This is where we see the stark contrast between the coaches like Majerus, who did more with less, and Ford. The recruiting trail victories mean very little when the team falls flat in the first round of the NIT.

Defense may win championships, but we  suffered too many mental lapses to hang a W on the right side of the ledger today. 

BilliesBy40 likes this

8 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

This is where we see the stark contrast between the coaches like Majerus, who did more with less, and Ford. The recruiting trail victories mean very little when the team falls flat in the first round of the NIT.

Defense may win championships, but we  suffered too many mental lapses to hang a W on the right side of the ledger today. 

Couldn’t agree more. 
He is an excellent recruiter. 
He’s below average game prep/ in-game-adjustment coach. 

That said I think he is absolutely the best we can hope for at this moment. 

Baffles my mind how Soderberg took teams to the NIT and won games with the talent he had in an arguably tougher conference. Some coaches do more with less and others rely on athleticism. Being in Virginia, I'm reminded of this every time I watch a UVA game. 

I like Ford but he can also recruit better.....like people with height. Hopefully the taller Strickland and Lorentsson develop. 

5 minutes ago, SLUDrew said:

Couldn’t agree more. 

This program can do better - not saying it would be easy to identify who that is, but it’s possible. Other coaches could recruit St. Louis with the right assistants (e.g., Tate).

4 minutes ago, 757billiken said:

Baffles my mind how Soderberg took teams to the NIT and won games with the talent he had in an arguably tougher conference. Some coaches do more with less and others rely on athleticism. Being in Virginia, I'm reminded of this every time I watch a UVA game. 

I like Ford but he can also recruit better.....like people with height. Hopefully the taller Strickland and Lorentsson develop. 

Are we actually bringing up Brad Soderberg? What’re we doing here? I am very disappointed in tonight’s outcome but Ford has had 3 teams that were better than any Soderberg team. This year sucked, and I do not give Ford a pass for the outcome, but at least were now back in a position where an NCAA tourney is the goal. Soderberg had one team that felt like it could make the tourney, and he couldn’t even get that team into a 32 team NIT.

I’n frustrated and bummed, but the broad negativity and revisionist history is not clicking with me. Our program is in a better position than it has been since 2014. That is progress, despite the hurdles and disappointments.

22 minutes ago, SLUDrew said:

Couldn’t agree more. 

I don’t think Ford should be fired or anything like that.  Ford has won one NCAA tournament game in 21 seasons as a head coach.  Jim Crews has 3 times as many NCAA tournament victories.  Yes, we could most certainly do better.

Now that said, Ford recruits at a high enough level to make the tournament on a semi regular basis.  Add to that, I have no faith in the powers that be to make the right hire and I am comfortable keeping Ford as the coach.  I have been a Billiken fan since I was in diapers and I am use to being disappointed.  The disappointment of always losing in the first round on a semi regular basis and having a super disappointing year like this is better than not making the tournament for a decade.

13 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

This program can do better - not saying it would be easy to identify who that is, but it’s possible. Other coaches could recruit St. Louis with the right assistants (e.g., Tate).

I guess I should’ve clarified; I didn’t mean to imply Travis Ford is the best slu  could ever hope for. I am just saying that as of today March 20, 2021 that he is our best option for the here and now 

18 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Not in any way knocking Ford but some high mid major is going to get a good one in Archie Miller.