GDT: NIT Round 1 vs Mississippi State

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Among the best pre-game analysis I have seen for the SLU-Mississippi State game is from the Wiz (pasted below).

MS State Coach Ben Howland is interviewed about the gamed here.

The numbers crunched by the Wiz show the Bills over MS State by 3.

Posted by the Wiz on Monday:

We come into this game as an A- team trending at B+....MsSt shows up with an overall grade of B+ trending at B (15-14...8-10).  Two good defenses, close to equal...we are the better team on offense. This will be a low scoring game...70pts should win the game. A concern I have is that by the time we take the floor it will be nearly 2 weeks....We may have to shake off some rust.

Let's see what we are dealing with ....

..........................SLU.............................MsSt.............................SLU...................................MsSt

..........................................OFF..........................................................................DEF...............

PPG......................B+...............................D+................................A-........................................B+

FG%......................B+...............................B-................................B+........................................A

3Pt%.....................B-................................C-................................C+.......................................B

FT%......................C-....... ........................F.................................................................................

Reb.......................A-.................................A.................................A+...12th ITN........................B+

OFF Rebs  = total rebs...DEF Rebs = opp reb

UP....Offense...None..............Defense .......3P%

Down...Offense....FG%...3P%...Reb.........Defense......none

Top 100 ITN (In The Nation)

Assts...Collins...9th ...up

Rebs...Goodwin....13th....dn

Stls......Goodwin...62nd....up

FT%....Perkins...52nd......unch

Double Double....Goodwin...7th ....dn

Double Double %....Goodwin....2nd

MsSt

Reb....T Smith....56th

FG%....T Smith...81st

Blks...Ado...28th

Injuries ....Strickland...3/6/21...Covid protocols 

A report card note...I have added a new category ...Double Double %...This stat doesn't appear anywhere...I decided this would show the true position of Goodwin.  The NCAA uses just the raw numbers...ie  total double doubles...Goodwin will always be at a disadvantage because he has played the fewest games. Doing it this way makes for a better comparison.....number of double double games divided by total games = 14 /20=70% which is a very high %....  good for 2nd place in Div 1.

This game presents some unusual challenges ...They have 2 big men T Smith (6'11") their reb guy and Ado (6'10") their blocker and other reb guy. ...and yes they are both in at the same time.  Needless to say they are a good rebounding team.  On the plus side (for us) they can't shoot FTs...only Molinar and Stewart can shoot from the charity stripe. More good news ....this team is TO prone,  we have got to bother them...if we do they will give us the ball.

WWN2D2W.....MsSt is a 3 man team ...stop their 3 main guys and we win....Molinar, Stewart and Smith...hold them to 35pts.  Don't let them jump out to an early big  lead...control the game ...pressure them.  We need to win the TO battle by 3 or 4 .  Reb  will be tough ...we need to better them even if only by 1 board....Don't let Ado turn into a fly swatter...that strategy didn't work well against St. B.....  no more than 2 blocks for Ado. And finally, makes some shots...48/36/72

Bottom line...we are the better team  especially on offense.  We have to make them play our game...........If we do...it'll be round 2.

3 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

Moved some posts.  Didn't want to delete them, as I would never want to stifle independent thought. 

More seriously, I know I let a lot fly.. Too much... But people come here for Billiken basketball discussion, and I don't want the GDT cluttered up. 

Let's go SLU. 

5 minutes ago, Lando Griffin said:

About 7 Busch lights deep since the NCAA started at 11.  Got a three TV set up in our family room (wife loves it as you can imagine) and the smoker rolling with a ribs on!  Let’s go Bills! 

Come to Texas I'll teach ya to smoke. 

O5 SPOTTED he's alive. 

Billiken fans paid the big $$$$ for the good seats.   MSU fans relegated to cheap seats.   Baller status

Chris May here looking skinny and bald.  No Frans at all