This Message Board is Toxic and Stifles Independent Thought

TaLBErt

16 minutes ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

As a neutral party either talk shiii!t back or use the ignore feature, simple as that. Don’t like the idea of whining to the principal. 

Largely agree with you, but a line was crossed last night.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

Largely agree with you, but a line was crossed last night.

Did you actually think Rich wanted you to go kill yourself?  

Are you an adult?

would it have been different if he said “Go jump off a tall building” 

3 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Did you actually think Rich wanted you to go kill yourself?  

Are you an adult?

would it have been different if he said “Go jump off a tall building” 

Do you think that post wasn't disgusting?

Just now, TaLBErt said:

Do you think that post wasn't disgusting?

I think you know he didn’t mean it literally. I wouldn’t have said it, but just my opinion,  I think you’re making a mountain out of a molehill. You could have just responded re what you thought and moved on. 

Btw... there is proper board protocol on how to handle matters like this. 

willie likes this

1 minute ago, slufanskip said:

I think you know he didn’t mean it literally. I wouldn’t have said it, but just my opinion,  I think you’re making a mountain out of a molehill. You could have just responded re what you thought and moved on. 

Btw... there is proper board protocol on how to handle matters like this. 

Oh what is that proper board protocol?

I think I've handled things pretty well. I don't believe Steve would have removed the post if I hadn't made this thread, and there's been some solid discussion.

A line was clearly crossed and if you can't see that, that's on you, Skip.

57 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Why would I do that?

I take a post by post approach.

Some times people make posts that I like and sometimes ones I dislike.

Im not going to make a mental note of each posters past posts so I can attack them later. That’s a waste of time and energy.

That is an interesting take.  I find it tough to have a good faith discussion with someone who's proven themselves not to be arguing in good faith. 

2 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

I think I've handled things pretty well. I don't believe Steve would have removed the post if I hadn't made this thread, and there's been some solid discussion.

Have you been to Salinas KS? 

You still haven’t answered the simple question did you believe Rich actually wanted you to kill yourself?  I think I know the answer, therefore I would have understood it to be tongue in cheek and took it that way. However, if I knew he didn’t actually mean it but it bothered me, I’d have responded directly saying I thought that statement was going too far and shouldn’t have been made. At that point it’s on Rich. 

14 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

Who cares if he removed the post or not? I didn’t even know about it until you made reference to it. Now everyone knows about it. By asking for removal you brought more attention to it lol

9 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

That is an interesting take.  I find it tough to have a good faith discussion with someone who's proven themselves not to be arguing in good faith. 

You’re not unique in that but we would all be better off with less holistic judging of posters (or people in the real world). Props to @dlarry

8 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I get that and understand that way of thinking.

I  never know if a person is pushing buttons or actually believes what they say.

When I’m discussing sports with buddies over beers somebody always has outrageous takes. They aren’t “trolls” they really love the teams we discuss they just have crazy opinions at times.

I try to treat message boards the same way.

3 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I  never know if a person is pushing buttons or actually believes what they say.

When I’m discussing sports with buddies over beers somebody always has outrageous takes. They aren’t “trolls” they really love the teams we discuss they just have crazy opinions at times.

I agree, hence the name BigMouth. Every conversation/debate needs a devil’s advocate. Otherwise it’s an echo chamber

dlarry likes this

6 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Have you been to Salinas KS? 

You still haven’t answered the simple question did you believe Rich actually wanted you to kill yourself?  I think I know the answer, therefore I would have understood it to be tongue in cheek and took it that way. However, if I knew he didn’t actually mean it but it bothered me, I’d have responded directly saying I thought that statement was going too far and shouldn’t have been made. At that point it’s on Rich. 

Yes! I absolutely believe he wanted that! Who says something like that in jest?! What a messed up thing to joke about!

1 minute ago, BilliesBy40 said:

You’re not unique in that but we would all be better off with less holistic judging of posters (or people in the real world). Props to @dlarry

2 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I will agree to a certain extent.  While I don't often go flaming other posters I have done it and I have been wrong before.  Not in this case but there have been a few occaisions  

3 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I appreciate your way of looking at it and it’s probably saves you some stress lol. 

You can’t tell me you don’t notice the same people doing it over and over

6 minutes ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

Who cares if the removed the post or not? I didn’t even know about it until you made reference to it. Now everyone knows about it. By asking for removal you brought more attention to it lol

The point was to draw attention to it.

1 minute ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

I agree, hence the name BigMouth. Every conversation/debate needs a devil’s advocate. Otherwise it’s an echo chamber

This board IS an echo chamber. That was the point of starting the thread... To invoke some change.

2 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

Yes! I absolutely believe he wanted that! Who says something like that in jest?! What a messed up thing to joke about!

Millions of people. Go play in traffic. Go jump off a tall building. If I was that stupid I’d kill myself. 

BilliesBy40 and CBFan like this

People have no right to not be offended by what someone writes.  You got offended by a comment made in bad taste.  Get over it, report the post, block the user and/or leave the board.  The board doesn't revolve around you or your feelings.  IMO, the board doesn't need people trying to cancel other posters.

12 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Millions of people. Go play in traffic. Go jump off a tall building. If I was that stupid I’d kill myself. 

All messed up things to say to another human being. Ever known someone that's committed suicide? It's not funny, and it has no place on this message board centered around a Jesuit Catholic university. 

Just now, TaLBErt said:

All messed up things to say to another human being. Ever known someone that's committed suicide? It's not funny, and it has no place on this message board centered around a Jesuit Catholic university. 

Bringing the Jesuits into now.  Look, I get you want to have your look at me moment here so instead of just reporting the post which would have got the quickest response, you have to claim the board administrator is somehow culpable for your emotional baggage and then are scummy enough to use his job as a threat.  Sorry that a guy that devotes hours of his time to keep this site running for no pay didn't act quickly enough or exactly in the manner you wanted.

It takes an absolutely crazy and misplaced sense of entitlement to make the posts you have in this thread.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Bringing the Jesuits into now.  Look, I get you want to have your look at me moment here so instead of just reporting the post which would have got the quickest response, you have to claim the board administrator is somehow culpable for your emotional baggage and then are scummy enough to use his job as a threat.  Sorry that a guy that devotes hours of his time to keep this site running for no pay didn't act quickly enough or exactly in the manner you wanted.

It takes an absolutely crazy and misplaced sense of entitlement to make the posts you have in this thread.

You sir, just won the gold in mental gymnastics.