This Message Board is Toxic and Stifles Independent Thought

TaLBErt

Last night while discussing conference realignment I was graphically told to kill myself by esteemed board member @Billiken Rich because I dared to offer a scenario where heading to the MVC might be ideal for SLU. The post was promptly liked by @AGB91. A personal attack of this magnitude is an unacceptable and disgusting way to express disagreement, and cannot go unchecked.

@SluSignGuy I tagged you in a response and while I can understand you may have bigger fish to fry in life, this board is incredibly transparent and I can see you've already spent some time on here today. Allowing this post to stay on your site makes you just as culpable as the folks that posted and liked it. You have no idea in impact words like that can have on a person, and a mob of message board morons telling another poster to end their life is unacceptable content to be left up. What if that were the final straw that pushed someone to actually take their own life? I talk sports on a lot of different sites and nowhere else would allow garbage like this to stay viewable. You're an employee of the university. Get rid of it, Steve.

If you REALLY want to do the right thing, @Billiken Rich should be put in the Metz Club. This is the exact type of behavior the the club's namesake would partake in.

This message board is unwelcoming, hostile, and toxic. It's that way because you allow it to be, Steve. I'm not the first person to bring this up and I'll certainly not the be last. New posters that do not conform to the boards hive mind are regularly chased away by a select few and no one sticks up for new posters for fear of being chased away themselves. Think about all the good discussions that are being stifled because people are afraid of being attacked for their opinions.

You've made a nice site, Steve, but it needs to be a community where people free to openly express their thoughts on Billiken basketball. Where being critical of your alma mater is not a crime. A place where telling someone to "Please make sure you get your entire head in front of the shot gun," is not tolerated. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

Last night while discussing conference realignment I was graphically told to kill myself by esteemed board member @Billiken Rich because I dared to offer a scenario where heading to the MVC might be ideal for SLU. The post was promptly liked by @AGB91. A personal attack of this magnitude is an unacceptable and disgusting way to express disagreement, and cannot go unchecked.

@SluSignGuy I tagged you in a response and while I can understand you may have bigger fish to fry in life, this board is incredibly transparent and I can see you've already spent some time on here today. Allowing this post to stay on your site makes you just as culpable as the folks that posted and liked it. You have no idea in impact words like that can have on a person, and a mob of message board morons telling another poster to end their life is unacceptable content to be left up. What if that were the final straw that pushed someone to actually take their own life? I talk sports on a lot of different sites and nowhere else would allow garbage like this to stay viewable. You're an employee of the university. Get rid of it, Steve.

If you REALLY want to do the right thing, @Billiken Rich should be put in the Metz Club. This is the exact type of behavior the the club's namesake would partake in.

This message board is unwelcoming, hostile, and toxic. It's that way because you allow it to be, Steve. I'm not the first person to bring this up and I'll certainly not the be last. New posters that do not conform to the boards hive mind are regularly chased away by a select few and no one sticks up for new posters for fear of being chased away themselves. Think about all the good discussions that are being stifled because people are afraid of being attacked for their opinions.

You've made a nice site, Steve, but it needs to be a community where people free to openly express their thoughts on Billiken basketball. Where being critical of your alma mater is not a crime. A place where telling someone to "Please make sure you get your entire head in front of the shot gun," is not tolerated. 

You have already called him out. That's enough. 

15 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

All message boards and online forums, just like real life have people who suck and people who do or say dumb things. This forum isn’t even in the ballpark of “toxic”.

@Billiken Rich's post, while presumably in jest, IMO does cross a line and should not be tolerated.  Telling a fellow poster to commit suicide shouldn't be taken lightly.  That is pretty much internet bullying 101.  Probably warrants a look back through his post history, but if this is the 1st time offense (and I can't think of any other instances like this), a warning rather than Metz treatment is suitable.

@TaLBErt good job calling him out on it.  That being said, this did not need a separate thread and I don't think it is fair to label the entire message board as toxic and stifling independent thought.  The MVC debate has been re-hashed time and time again.  All of the regulars or posters who have been around a long time are more than tired of it.  @SluSignGuy in my experience is fairly hands off as a moderator and that is the way it should be except in extreme circumstances like this.  He's not doing this as a full time job and in fact has a different full time job.  I'd be patient with him and reach out privately via email or PM if he doesn't respond to your tagging him rather than start a whole new thread because he hasn't addressed your issue within 24 hours.  You have to be able to see that starting a thread trashing the whole board and Steve will likely not go over well.

dlarry likes this

13 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

@Billiken Rich's post, while presumably in jest, IMO does cross a line and should not be tolerated.  Telling a fellow poster to commit suicide shouldn't be taken lightly.  That is pretty much internet bullying 101.  Probably warrants a look back through his post history, but if this is the 1st time offense (and I can't think of any other instances like this), a warning rather than Metz treatment is suitable.

@TaLBErt good job calling him out on it.  That being said, this did not need a separate thread and I don't think it is fair to label the entire message board as toxic and stifling independent thought.  The MVC debate has been re-hashed time and time again.  All of the regulars or posters who have been around a long time are more than tired of it.  @SluSignGuy in my experience is fairly hands off as a moderator and that is the way it should be except in extreme circumstances like this.  He's not doing this as a full time job and in fact has a different full time job.  I'd be patient with him and reach out privately via email or PM if he doesn't respond to your tagging him rather than start a whole new thread because he hasn't addressed your issue within 24 hours.  You have to be able to see that starting a thread trashing the whole board and Steve will likely not go over well.

There's no way to presume anything. What he wrote with is fingers and posted for the world to see was disgusting and inexcusable. Period. Full stop.

It needs to be removed. In my eyes, if I saw that post, and I was in charge, that's got to come down pronto.

Maybe you're right about everything else. Although, after I posed this, his post was flooded with "bad post" flags. I felt the situation needed some visibility.

11 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Sorry Steve (for my overraction to a troll bringing up the old Mo Valley dead horse to beat the poor thing some more)

I read his MVC post.

I don’t agree with his take but it was thought out and made some logical points.

The problem with message boards is people see a name and go into attack mode regardless of what they say. 
I don’t know if Talbert is a “troll” or just someone with different ideas than you. I do know his post on that thread was a reasonable take even if most of us disagree with it.

Ironbills likes this

18 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Sorry Steve (for my overraction to a troll bringing up the old Mo Valley dead horse to beat the poor thing some more)

This is like breaking someone’s arm and apologizing to the doctor.

Talbert, by far, the easiest thing to do, and one of the most successful things you can do in this board as well, is to place anyone that really bugs you in total ignore. Let them talk to the walls, you just could not care what they say or think. Finally any opinions these people may have about you or what you write have absolutely no meaning or importance to you. So, he wishes you to be dead and is liked by someone else, just do the same thing back in return and literally obliterate them by placing them in total ignore. Total ignore is a feature of this board that has worked very well for me over time.

if anyone has been on this board for a few years knows, the "join the mvc" is a toxic subject that few agree with and those of us that detest the idea are darn well sick of the thought of going backwards to be in a high school rural league.   while the way rich presented it was a little strong, i feel like offing myself when the dumb subject comes up every year typically by some billiken hater disguised as a billiken fan.  

10 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Read through some more of his stuff, like his stuff on Goodwin.  

Why would I do that?

I take a post by post approach.

Some times people make posts that I like and sometimes ones I dislike.

Im not going to make a mental note of each posters past posts so I can attack them later. That’s a waste of time and energy.

Ironbills likes this

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

if anyone has been on this board for a few years knows, the "join the mvc" is a toxic subject that few agree with and those of us that detest the idea are darn well sick of the thought of going backwards to be in a high school rural league.   while the way rich presented it was a little strong, i feel like offing myself when the dumb subject comes up every year typically by some billiken hater disguised as a billiken fan.  

Then skip it.

or better yet tell them why it sucks and move on.

1 minute ago, dlarry said:

Then skip it.

or better yet tell them why it sucks and move on.

i did yesterday.  

now we are discussing talbert and rich tussle.   not the same.

This thread lumps every poster as toxic, one of the worst threads ever.

To the author of this troll thread fight your own fights don’t bring the rest of us toxic posters in it, argue it out with Rich if your capable.

Rich is right the author of this troll thread author he posted he wondered how Goodwin felt about choosing SLU over Illinois?

1.) The referenced post was despicable and the user deserves more than simple deletion of the post.

2.) This board is not intended to be a forum for totally independent thoughts. Anyone who doesn’t realize this is being willfully ignorant.

3.) Claiming SLU should join the MVC is either a troll job or an intentional shot at the school. See #2 for why this is frowned upon.